The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old March 11, 2008, 08:55 PM   #26
elkman06

I have to agree w/ Stinger on this. Get the hell out of there. If you can walk talk and piss in a bottle, you can get a 70-80k job out here in Wyoming. Your family deserves better than this.
For me, the dog would allready be in doggy hell.
elkman
Old March 11, 2008, 08:56 PM   #27
nate45

Just curious did you contact the local sheriff or animal control?
Old March 11, 2008, 09:58 PM   #28
roy reali

Also Curious

Why was this question posted in the hunting section of TFL?
Old March 12, 2008, 09:29 AM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess 'cause he was wondering about the effectiveness on the only game animal available? In his case, dangerous game, as far as the kids are concerned...
Old March 12, 2008, 09:34 AM   #30
Bottom Gun

Call animal control or the sheriff and let them deal with it.

Shooting a dog is never good and you run the risk of starting a neighborhood feud that can escalate out of control if it turns out the dog does belong to someone.
It would be bad if someone retaliated by shooting one of your animals.

Also, posting like this doesn't exactly enhance the image of shooters and gun owners.

Just a thought. . . . . .

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old March 12, 2008, 09:44 AM   #31
Super-Dave

I have called animal control on the neighbors chicken and goats. They still have not responded. That was 3 months ago.

I posted this here because someone out there has shot a very large coyote or wolf. Where else to get good info on killing animals with a gun than a hunting forum?

George Orwell
Old March 12, 2008, 10:04 AM   #32
Bottom Gun

Call the law. They may be more apt to respond to a pit bull call than a rogue chicken alert.

Old March 12, 2008, 10:24 AM   #33
Duff

Agreed, in most states if the law or animal control picks up a pit bull and takes it to the pound, it's going to get lethally injected anyway. Most states don't allow pit bulls to be adopted from the pound. So it's out of your hair and it gets "whacked" so you win both ways. Not to mention it's much more humane than possibly not killing it when you shoot it.

Y'all are killin me with this they're bred for fighting and killing bull****. Learn some facts of the breed before listening to the media. The reason is may seem "there are more pit bull attacks than any other breed" is because you don't hear it on the TV or read it in the papers when a chihuahua or a boston terrier attack someone, but it happens just as often as pit bull attacks

I fully agree that when ANY dog attacks a human being, it shoudl be put down instantly and the owner should be charged. However, killing a dog just because it's "bred for fighting" is like taking away our guns because "they're made for killing people"
Old March 12, 2008, 01:53 PM   #34
20nickels

Duff,
"Y'all are killin me with this they're bred for fighting and killing bull****. Learn some facts of the breed before listening to the media. The reason is may seem "there are more pit bull attacks than any other breed" is because you don't hear it on the TV or read it in the papers when a chihuahua or a boston terrier attack someone, but it happens just as often as pit bull attacks"

I don't want to veer this off topic, but yes it is more common for other dogs to attack however the undisputed killing and maiming king is the Pitbull. I know all I need to know about them, just it's nomenclature alone should tell you something "Pitbull". Would you carry a cute furry handgun that shoots itself?
Old March 12, 2008, 02:00 PM   #35
elkman06

Duff, While I agree that pit bulls, shepherds, chows, etc,, tend to get a bad rap via the media, please answer a question for me. When breeders are choosing their dogs persay to breed with, they tend to breed the biggest, strongest, and most aggressive out of a given litter to breed with. I think this naturally brings alot of the downside to bear w/ these breeds. Wrong? I know of people who swear by rotweillers, shephards, etc but you couldn't give me one due to the breeding tendencies. I'm a family man and that labrador w/ the three foot tongue and happy disposition is just a better choice for kids.
elkman06
Old March 12, 2008, 03:15 PM   #36
Duff

Depends on the breeder. Mr. Ghetto that sells drugs on the curb in front of his house, yes... When I breed my dogs, I look for:

A: AKC/UKC approved hip alignment
B: Canine Good Citizens (CGC) Certification
C: Good temperment testing
D: Typically the dogs I breed mine with or breed to mine are AKC Champions
and or UKC Champions
D: All of the above within said dog's pedigree

My Dogs
Old March 12, 2008, 03:28 PM   #37
Bottom Gun

I agree with Duff.
I used to breed German Shepherd Dogs.
I only bred OFA certified dogs with excellent temperments. All others were neutered or spayed.
FYI, German Shepherd Dogs are some of the most gentle affectionate dogs you will ever find. The problem is, too many people try to turn them and other breeds into killer attack dogs for "security".

I have been around a lot of Bull Terriers and I have never had a problem with any of them. I used to have two of them come to visit me daily from down the road. They were great dogs and always got along well with my dogs.

Old March 12, 2008, 04:15 PM   #38
20nickels

Tks for your insight into this thread as a breeder Duff. I"ll admit I've learned some from your last post, however even if you have the nicest, well tempered pitbulls around my inherent mistrust for them is still very strong and not unwaranted. Good luck to you.
Old March 12, 2008, 04:17 PM   #39
Playboypenguin

I think you better call animal control. If you shoot it and someone comes across you post here stating it was an on-going problem that you were aware of then allowed it to escelate to the point where you shoot it you will be in a world of hurt.

So how about put down the gun and pick up the phone. Every confrontation in life does not require an explosive solution. Only internet rambos think that way...responsible adults do not.
Old March 12, 2008, 04:43 PM   #40
grymster2007

As for the buckshot question, I’d go with 00 buckshot if I had to shoot a muscular dog, but first I’d heed Playboypenguin’s (and other previous poster’s) advice.

As for the “bad breed” issue, I can only say our German Shepard was the finest dog I could imagine. She was brave, protective, gentle, lovable and smart. In her nearly 13 years, she never bit anyone. I did once watch her clamp on to the shirtsleeve of a high school boy that had come over to visit our daughter. The kid was walking towards the daughter’s room and the dog was just saying no. She didn’t growl or otherwise threaten the boy, just held him until I told her to quit (yeah I enjoyed it for a few moments before saying anything).

She had an inherent sense about what was important to us. She just knew that a baby or small child or someone’s pet was to be protected and never harmed. At the same time she knew that pulling a rat from the woodpile and killing it was the right thing to do. I always found it interesting how she could differentiate things like that. How she just “knew” what we expected of her in every case.

I had a few other dogs over the years and none were nearly as smart as her. I’d guess that a combination of genetic makeup and environment determine if a dog will be dangerous.
Old March 12, 2008, 07:28 PM   #41
roy reali

Re:arteatman

I hope you were kidding!
Old March 12, 2008, 07:43 PM   #42
tplumeri

Quote:
No one knows whos dog this is
I find it kinda interesting that NO ONE has gotten irate about you shooting this pitbull.
what would the responses be if it were a black lab or terrier...I got fried on this forum for shooting my own dog with an old daisy pellet gun!
About the #4 shot, I would go bigger for a humane kill. one of my dogs (scruffy) got loose and neighbor shot him with #4 at about 30 feet.
I know this because he called to tell me it wasnt a clean kill and did i want him to finish the job.
I went over with my usual carry and the dog didnt look that bad. dug out 6 pellets and a shot antibiotic at the vets and good as new.
he has no interest in jumping the fence any more!
Old March 12, 2008, 07:51 PM   #43
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Aw, roy, maybe a half.

Look: We've answered the question of load effectiveness, and given what seems like rational advice, and then wandered off into the world of dogs as dogs--and, generally speaking, pit bulls aren't mentioned as hunting dogs, usually. Not on quail, pheasants or ducks, anyhow.

For a little kid, it doesn't take a heckuva lot of dog to be dangerous.

And some dogs fight above their weight class. I once saw a Chihuahua kill a Great Dane.
Stuck in his throat...

Enuf.

Art
Closed Thread