The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

Latest Acquisition

Here's the latest addtion to my C&B armory. Euroarms Rogers & Spencer vintage 1979.

Barrel, frame & cylinder show ravages of 30 years on a pistol that had been knocked around and not stored very well. Lots of pitting and finish loss.

The bore and chambers are another thing altogether. I'd swear it has never been fired - at the most it hadn't been fired very much. Nipples are perfect, no grit/residue around nipples or recess. No marks on the hammer. Ran patch down the bore & in each chamber that came out only a slighty brown from surface rust. Another reason I believe it has never been fired is because you couldn't ram a ball into a chamber. The rammer will not line up with the chambers and won't go in.

Hammer spring musta come out of a 1919 Mack truck. Couldn't pull hammer back to half-cock with one hand. Front sight had been replaced/fixed with a square piece of copper that had been soldered on, and the rammer screw was bent - probably from excessive pressure when trying to get the rammer to go in the chambers.

Tore it down & found the the hammer spring was rubbing on the back side of the grips.

So................... I proceeded to do some tuning. Ground/filed the sides of the hammer spring down to stop the rubbing and lighten it up some, used the dremmel and polishing wheels on the rammer channel in the frame. Working on the hammer spring helped; but not enough. Could half cock it one handed; but still took two hands to get it to full cock.

Ordered new hammer spring, rammer screw, and front sight from S&S Firearms http://www.ssfirearms.com/ & waited.

Parts came in from S&S in just a few days, so went back to work on the pistol. Changed out hammer spring, replace the front sight. Luckily, the front sight screws into the barrel. The old one just twisted right out & the new on screwed right in. And, replaced the rammer screw.

It has the correct sight, you can cock it one handed, and the rammer works. Now I just need a couple decent days to take it to the range, then start working on refinishng it.

Photo was taken after I replace the front sight. You can see some of the finish loss and pitting.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 17, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
simonkenton

That poor old pistol has had a rough life, I am glad you have given it a good home.
Old December 17, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Noz

Finish loss? Pitting? All of mine look like that.
Old December 17, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Finish loss? Pitting? All of mine look like that.
Heck, you look like that
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 17, 2009, 06:04 PM   #5
mykeal

A fine old revolver. If this is your first R&S you'll be quite pleased with it. I rank mine right up there with my Ruger Old Armies.
Old December 17, 2009, 07:34 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

mykeal,

I've had others in the past, and liked them; but, they kept getting traded off for 2nd Gen Colts. I might be able to keep this one a while.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:11 AM   #7
MUZZLESMOKE

that is a good looking revolver R&S. Don't have one of them yet. Need to stay off these forums. Makes me want to spend my Honey's money. but she thinks I'M INVESTING IN HER FUTURE.

"IF YOU SHOOT BP MAKE IT A PEDERSOLI Pennsylvania LONG RIFLE"
Old December 18, 2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Dave Cole

Thats a great looking pistol. Dave
Old December 18, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

What do you want to refinish it for, it looks great. Keep it old an ugly like me so you'll shoot it more often.

I do not have the correct front sight, I went for some adjustablity. No fouling issues, never had a cap jam, very accurate, only thing I don't care for are the rather small pivot screws on the loading lever.

The guy i just got my two Starr's from had a R&S in stainless, I was very tempted, but resisted....or ran out of money. Euroarms made a target model with sights that look identical to the Pietta 58 target sights, plus two models in "London Gray" finish, one plain, one engraved. I'm kind of looking for the engraved model, pretty nice looking revolver.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; December 18, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old December 18, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

There was an engraved London gray on GB a while back. Auction expired before anyone bid & it didnt get relisted. I was tempted; but my CAS slush fund was empty at the time. That's usually how it goes. There are a couple 1851s on GA right now I'd sorely love; but I've kinda exceeded my ration for the year.

BTW, the picture looks alot better than the gun does. The extent of the pitting didn't come through.