The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2008, 05:49 PM   #1
itman

Brass tumbler vs. Petsmart

I just picked up a Brass tumbler and was reading what Media everyone uses. It sounds like a trip to Petsmart is in order to pick up some corn cob and/or walnut pet bedding. Not being a pet owner, and never been in Petsmant and didn't even know they sold corn cob and walnut for bedding (these animals must sleep better then I do).

So before I walk in and the thin little 19 year old kid walks up to me and asks me "Can I help you" want brand of Corn cob and Walnut do you use and are there types of corn cob or Walnut not to get? I really don’t want to him want I want the media for.

Thanks
Old March 21, 2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I hope it works out for you but I want to warn you of one thing.
When loading and unloading a bullet tumbler, use some kind of respirator / mask / air filter. When using something like what you’re planning in a tumbler it will breakdown and a lot of dust will be in the medium. When you empty the container, say though a screen, there will be a large amount of lead in the dust and it’s something you don’t want to breathe.
Lead poisoning is not something you want to experience or joke around about.
Take the precaution
Old March 21, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
itman

Ozzi. Thanks for the advice. I will keep a mask on my face when I work with the media.
Old March 21, 2008, 07:22 PM   #4
snuffy

You didn't say which caliber you would be tumbling. Large handgun calibers can be done with the petsmart corn-cob, but smaller pistol,(under 40 cal), or rifle cases will get plugged up with the corn-cob. The stuff I got was ¼ inch grind, it plugged up the .223 I was tumbling so bad I nearly threw them away. Had to use a drill bit to pry it out!

The walnut I saw there was fine enough to use on the smaller stuff. BUT it don't do a high polish like the corn-cob does. It does however clean really dirty cases better.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 21, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
itman

Sorry The brass is for my 300 Win mag and 223.
Old March 21, 2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Ozzieman

One more suggestion.
What your planning on using will work,,, but.
I would suggest that some time use a professional manufactured case cleaning medium.
I get mine from Sinclair International in Fort Wayne IN.
It already has polishing compound in it and it will clean 223 brass in a vibrating cleaner like a polished mirror in less than an hour. It also makes very little dust and will clean and clean and keep on cleaning for a large number of cases.
Old March 21, 2008, 08:04 PM   #7
hikingman

Well, ask the sales associate where the lizard bedding is, and they will lead you to the corn cob media, and ground shells and such...then tell them you'll look around at stuff, and that you will let them know if you need further assistance...

Secondly, use a square section of handy wrap on the top of the screen portion of your tumbler if it does not have a covered top. With the plastic guard screwed over the piece and a hole in the center of the handiwrap to place it over the threaded screw in the center, you'll contain the dust while it's tumblin'. When it's time to sift, use a glove, or a plastic cooking spoon and don't make dust when you shake it. Take your time, don't create dust, and leave the mask for a different job.

Problem with so much of life, is we hurry, instead of slowing a bit, and enjoying stuff or doing things right, or careful like.
Old March 21, 2008, 09:35 PM   #8
ForneyRider

I use rice but the rice gets stuck in the flash hole. So I tumble then decap.

Saved a trip to the store.
Old March 21, 2008, 09:49 PM   #9
TexasSeaRay

I've tried several of the corn cob and ground walnut varieties at Petsmart. I even tried the corn cob kitty litter--that stuff is DUSTY AS HELL!

Finally settled on the ground walnut. Think it's called Lizard Litter, or something like that. Can't remember the brand--Reptillia, maybe?

Anyhow, it does an EXCELLENT job. In fact, when I put a capfull of NuFinish car wax and a thimble full of mineral spirits in the mix, it outshines and outpolishes ANY corncob media I've ever tried--and I've damn near tried them all.

I use a true tumbler--it rotates rather than vibrates. So I do a two stage cleaning--stage one is in the treated walnut, then stage two is in the untreated walnut with some small pieces of torn up dish towels tossed in to help with the polishing effect.

Often times, the inside of the brass is as shiny as the outside.

All this for around ten/eleven bucks for a ten-pound bag. Four pounds of "brand name" media costs me almost twice that much--toss in shipping and it costs me over twice that much.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 21, 2008, 11:20 PM   #10
mrawesome22

Quote:
Reptillia, maybe?
I believe that is the name of the stuff I have. Fine ground walnut. I got it at We Love Pets. Works like magic with a cap full of NuFinish added every other batch of brass.
Old March 24, 2008, 04:57 PM   #11
ryalred

For those who don't live close to a large pet supply store, some are selling corn cob media on Ebay for very resonable prices if you get the kind with no additive and then you can add your favorite. You can get walnut media as well.
Old March 24, 2008, 05:18 PM   #12
the_right_reverend

cob meal

Wally World...... Pet Dept most likely bottom shelf in the bedding, rabbit hay section....

I use Mothers Polish,about 1/2 teaspoon desolved in about a ounce of denatured alcohol

Last edited by the_right_reverend; March 25, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old March 24, 2008, 07:47 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

i like the flitz treatment and the frankford arsenal walnut media ( i buy in bulk from midway). the 7lb bag is on sale for 9 bucks!

if you want to avoid the dust from the media when dumping out the brass/media I would sugges either the painters face mask or just do it outside with a nice breeze.

JOE

I have heard of folks using kitty litter even and the lizard bedding, but I just buy the treated or untreated walnut or corn cob media and no worries. make sure to have 2 seperate medias. I have an ice cream pail with cleaning media (old polishing media) and a pail with polishing media. I tumble the used brass with the cleaning media then lube/resize then throw back in with polishing media and then finish loading.

Rotate the media when the polishing media starts to get dirty and just dump the old cleaning media.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old March 25, 2008, 01:07 AM   #14
Flying Groundhog

+1 TexasSeaRay
Old March 25, 2008, 02:50 AM   #15
The Lovemaster

I too use walnut bird bedding from Petsmart and add NuFinish every second or third load. I need to try the mineral spirits trick. I never have any dust - I cut up a used dryer sheet into six pieces and run a new (used) one with every load. The NuFinish and the dryer sheets make the media last forever. I have been using the same media for what seems like months now, and it still polishes great.
Old March 25, 2008, 08:11 AM   #16
jmorris

I like saving a buck just as much as the next guy and have tried just about every concoction there is when it comes to cleaning/polishing brass. Dillon sells corn cob media for $11.95 10# and it works without issue (remember time is money too). No matter how cheap you get on the media you are not going to put junior through college with the savings. Picking up range brass on the other hand…
Old March 25, 2008, 09:55 PM   #17
tvick66

+1 TexasSeaRay

I use the Lizard Litter and it does a great job.

Lizard Litter.jpg
Old March 25, 2008, 10:32 PM   #18
williamd

The right stuff from Cabela's is not at all expensive!!!!!!!!
Old March 26, 2008, 03:20 PM   #19
dakotashooter2

I recently started getting the stuff from the pet store. Not all the stores have the "fine ground" corn cob. I had to get mine at tractor supply store (TCS). both the corn and walnut were 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of commercial media. Righ now I am experimenting with a 50/50 mix of walnut and corn with lyman media treatment and couldn't be happier with the results. My cases seem to be cleaner and more polished with very little dust. I have also noticed less corn media in the flash holes. It appears the walnut, which is finer, often fills the holes before the corn can get wedged in then easily falls out.

Bottom line is that it seems to work for me.