The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2001, 02:46 AM   #26
George Helser

Troy,

I do not understand the economic argument. The VV powder in 45ACP costs only about $0.02 per round. Switching to AA#5 requires more powder at a lower cost. AA costs about the same per round but even if it is 25% less expensive one saves only $0.005 per round. Powder is far less expensive than brass or bullets.

I plan to thoroughly investigate the VV powder.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Old March 2, 2001, 11:03 AM   #27
leapfrog

One main reason for the low flash in the VV Powders is that is single based.
Old March 5, 2001, 11:51 PM   #28
Troy

George,

I totally agree with you; it isn't me you should be trying to convince! Too many people see the VV at $20/lb vs. domestic brands at $14/lb and won't "spend the extra money". This is largely a false economy to me, but a lot of people never learn price vs. cost.

I'm just jealous that you can FIND the powder in your area. There are millions of shooters in NorCal, and lots of reloaders, but few places that carry reloading supplies. The few that I know of only carry Winchester stuff and and maybe one other brand, and have a fairly small component selection. I guess everyone is doing mail/web orders as I am. The wait time (as well as shipping and HazMat costs) is killing me!

-Troy
Old March 11, 2001, 10:49 PM   #29
saands

No ... you guys are killing me! At least list a web site that sells the stuff!!!! I just stumbled on this thread after returning from the range where I tested my flame thrower (Sig 225 with 9x19 PowerPistol loads!). I immediately sat down to find a lower flash powder. Now I find out that it exists but I can't find anyone that sells the crazy stuff! I am also in NorCal ... People get $20+ a pound for the domestic stuff, so I don't mind the price.

The 90 grain 9x19 also looks interesting in N350 1521 fps and 462 ft*lbs WOW! Energy like a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP ... has anyone toyed with that one?

Any sources would be appreciated ... GREATLY.

Thanks,
Saands

ps ... Do any of you load VV in a .40 S&W? The web site doesn't list my favorite 135 grain bullets ... :>(
I sent an e-mail to VV ... we'll see what they say

[Edited by saands on 03-11-2001 at 11:25 PM]
Old March 12, 2001, 03:37 AM   #30
George Helser

saands,

I found it hard to find VV powder in the Phoenix area. The place I bought it from is actually an Internet/mailorder shop in the area that is not even in the local yellow pages. Check out http://www.brunoshooters.com

You will like the VV N340 powder in 9mm & 45 ACP for:
- Power
- Nil muzzle flash
- Clean burning
- Good metering
- 1% deviation with measured charges

Regards,
George

P.S. I was also disappointed in Power Pistol. It had bright muzzle flash and less power than the Herco load I used in 9x19 for 24 years.
Old March 12, 2001, 07:38 PM   #31
Troy

http://www.natchezss.com

They are out of stock on N340 right now (I'm on backorder), but you can buy 1lb. containers of pistol powder and 2lb containers of rifle powder. That's nice if you just want to try some out.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

http://www.sinclairintl.com (VV rifle powders only)

If anyone has any other sources, please post!

-Troy
Old March 12, 2001, 09:23 PM   #32
wolfz

I went to a fairly low quality gun shop in Glendale (Lone Who?)and found VV powder. They actually made fun at me for buying it. I load everything from 30.06 to 32ACP and it does a good job.

There is a place in chandler named 1911 Heavon that carries VV and don't have IQs equal to their belt sizes.

wolfz
Old March 12, 2001, 11:15 PM   #33
nwgunman

So it's sounding like the VV N340 may be the way to go for low flash. When you say expensive, what are we talking about? I note from the data that a mid-range load is 6.4 grains. The mid-range load for 230gr fmj using AA#5 (from the AA data book) is 8.2gr. That's about 20% less powder...is the price 15-20% higher?....oops, I really should have read thru the whole post here. Time to pick some up and check it on the chrono and etc. Thanks