The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 5, 2007, 06:06 AM   #1
TACHop&Pop

Sword Fight Ensues After S.C. Break-In

I found this article on my local newspapers website and thought it was interesting and decided to share.

Sword Fight Ensues After S.C. Break-In
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C.

"A man toting a 3-foot sword apparently met his match when he broke into his ex-girlfriend's apartment: The woman's roommate grabbed a sword of his own and sliced the intruder, police said.

The roommate, a sword collector, fended off the ex-boyfriend, who was cut on the arm, police said.

Elvis Javier Polanco, 18, was treated at a hospital and charged with burglary and aggravated assault, Beaufort County sheriff's Capt. Toby McSwain said. He said Polanco broke a window and climbed on his friend's shoulders to get into the apartment.

The roommate, Louis Delgado Hernandez, disarmed the intruder while the woman called police, McSwain said."

Last edited by TACHop&Pop; March 5, 2007 at 06:07 AM. Reason: punctuation/grammar
Old March 5, 2007, 06:10 AM   #2
TACHop&Pop

I'm a sword a aficionado, but I would never think of using one for self defense unless it was an extreme situation and I didn't have my HD gun handy.
Old March 5, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
SeaMariner

I dunno... A suitable sword is just as deadly and it always works... Both come down to training. My brother has taken several years of training and is quite proficient with his. I certainly wouldn't want to be any closer than a dozen yards. Anybody remember that knife video posted on here a week or so ago? Most homes don't have the distance to employ a firearm before a edged-weapon. Given that a sword can be anything from 18-48 inches, a sword-armed individual as even greater reach.

Discounting an attacker because of his choice of weaponry is foolish. Beware anyone and anything.
Old March 5, 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Samurai

The offender seemed to be pretty dense, and it looked like the roommate knew it. The roommate probably also knew that a sword can make an an awfully big psychological impression if it's used properly, and can often be used to "convince" some aggressors into surrendering.

No need to use a global-thermonuclear warhead when a gentle slap on the wrist will suffice.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old March 5, 2007, 04:31 PM   #5
Iceman12

Location: Just outside of our nations capital....on the VA side.
I don't consider myself nearly trained enough to keep a loaded gun on my person or in my home. (not yet anyway, CCW should be here any day now, but I still won't carry until I am comfortable with my abilities)

My best friend and I have always had interest in swords, and fairly regularly fight each other. No training, just discution and about an hour in my yard clanging away ( I have a 3 foot broadsword, he prefers a Katana) is a nice way to spend an afternoon, although blisters to hurt . While I wouldn't want to fight a gun weilding person with it (make that ANY person), I do feel that if I have a bump in the night situation I would surly grab my broadsword before even considering opening my safe and loading a mag (safe is downstairs). Calling the police and staying in the bedroom with it ready in my hands up against the wall next to the closed door ready for someone to open it seems fairly safe.

Of course that is all based on suprise for him and not for me, and hopefully VERY fast response time from my local PD. That is why I go to the range often and applied for that permit.
Old March 5, 2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Fremmer

Quote:
disarmed the intruder
Ha....disarmed....get it.....
Old March 5, 2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Samurai

Yeah... I made the "slap on the wrist" comment on purpose. My understanding is that the roommate actually did cut the attacker on the arm to disarm him.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

Old March 5, 2007, 05:24 PM   #8
V4Vendetta

Quote:
My best friend and I have always had interest in swords, and fairly regularly fight each other. No training, just discution and about an hour in my yard clanging away ( I have a 3 foot broadsword, he prefers a Katana) is a nice way to spend an afternoon, although blisters to hurt .

So let me get this straight . You each take REAL swords & hit at each other with them?

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:27 PM   #9
TACHop&Pop

I know one thing for a fact its hard to use a sword in a house, most houses are just to small or to cluttered to effectively employ one(if you don't believe me and you own a sword go get it and make some slow speed cuts like you were practicing, I guarantee you won't be able to get the full range of motion you would normally in less confined space, also its not my fault if you make nasty gouges or cuts in your walls ). If I had to use a blade in a house it would be between 20" to "8. Also I'm not saying swords are not effective weapons, I know that they are devastatingly effective in the right situation. I love my blades and wouldn't give them up for anything. All that said if all I had was a broadsword or katana at hand to defend my self I would definitely use them.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:34 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Pretty funny...trying to discern the lesson to be learned - "Don't bring a little sword to a big-swordfight." ?? But I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when a stalker-ex-SO-nutjob (of either gender) gets what's coming. In fact, if he were over 25 yrs, I'd say too bad he didn't lose an appendage entirely. But being young & dumb (18), I'll just say, hope he learned a valuable lesson, and won't do it again.

I have lots o' guns lying around the house loaded, but for a backup, I have two swords in my bedroom - a chisa katana, and a one-handed "sword", that being a Enfield bayonet, model 1907 - they were looooong back then. Both of these are quality-made and ready for real use & abuse - katana is tempered 9260 silicon spring steel, and I'm sure the gummint of the UK didn't churn out pot metal bayos either, though I have no idea of the steel used in the 1907.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:57 PM   #11
stephen426

Someone coming to my house with a sword will be facing the barrel of my shotgun. You guys talk about distance and the ability to bring handguns into play. Swords take some room to swing, especially longer swords, while handguns can be kept close to the body and "swiveled" very quickly.

It is far easier for a wounded person to use a handgun than a sword. While I fully acknowledge that swords are deadly, I'll take my shotgun and then my handgun over a sword. This is even more true since my swordsmanship is lacking at best and my shooting skills aren't half bad. When it comes to cold steel versus hot lead, I'll take the latter... thanks!
Old March 5, 2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Doug.38PR

They caught the incident on camera too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8Z_sR83oU
Old March 5, 2007, 10:58 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

Sure that wasn't Betrix Kiddo?
Old March 5, 2007, 11:30 PM   #14
natjohnb

Since when did "The Firing Line" become the ninja forum?

If you had to use a sword to defend yourself; how is it going to look in court when you have to explain the arterial blood sprays all over the wall?

I'll stick with good old firearms to defend my home...
Old March 5, 2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Blackwater OPS

The REAL video about what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOwXIarEpzI
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old March 6, 2007, 09:27 AM   #16
Samurai

You know those JFK assassination analysts who say that it's impossible for Oswald to have acted alone, because NOBODY could have made three 80-yard shots with a scoped sniper rifle in just over six seconds? You know how ridiculous those guys sound? THAT'S how I feel everyone who writes about how impossible it is to use a sword indoors.

If you know what you're doing, it's not only possible, it's quite easy. And, using a sword indoors kept the guy in the news story from having to shoot some stupid kid. In a fight, I'd rather have a gun, too. But all I'm saying is, just don't dismiss the idea of swords for viable home defense until you've trained to use one.

Old March 6, 2007, 10:15 AM   #17
SeaMariner

I possess a 48" (overall length) cavalry sword based off a design from something circa 13th century. It was a gift from my brother and having been instructed in its use, even a guy like me (5'6"-5'7" 145lbs) can easily manuever throughout the house. Sure its a massive weapon (weighing some 8-9 lbs) but wide overhand cuts are not all sowrds are good for.
Old March 6, 2007, 10:29 AM   #18
SundownRider

Just an FYI for those considering a sword for HD. A rapier is likely you best choice since they were designed for quarters as you would find in your home - narrow hallways and not much room to swing.
They are light, fast, and fairly easy to learn.

Useless against a gun, but will easily deal with most longer edged weapons.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old March 6, 2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Iceman12

Location: Just outside of our nations capital....on the VA side.
"So let me get this straight . You each take REAL swords & hit at each other with them?"

um.....yup. Well, not eachother, I would look like the Monty Python Black Knight by now if that were the case, we hit eachothers swords. When we go for a body hit, we stop short and discuss briefly how that could of been stopped/ improved. We have on occation draw a lil blood from eachother, but nothing much worse than hammer bite u might get from a Highpower.

I do have to say though, my broad sword is rather riddled with knicks and burrs, and looks like I just got back from the crusades or something. Who knows, maybe that ragged used looking sword may save my life one day. One can never tell.
Old March 6, 2007, 10:57 AM   #20
Samurai

Iceman,

Two points:

Point 1: WOOD!!!! Get some wooden weapons to train with so you don't screw up and cut the bejezus out of yourself or your friend! Tell your friend to get a wooden boken, and you go get one of those wooden Tai Chi swords. The life you save may be your very own.

Point 2: Get a good quality, carbon steel blade (Paul Chen makes them) and keep it around for cutting. Don't ding it up practicing. Keep it in good cutting shape.

Other than that, have fun. I know a couple of guys who get together and do exactly what you do, and they have a lot of fun with it. Stay safe, though.

Old March 6, 2007, 12:12 PM   #21
mbs357

I've always wanted to get a bokken for goofing off with and a sword from Nosyuiaido (www.swordstore.com).
But even the bokkens are crazy expensive.

That stabbing at the party video was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
Old March 6, 2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Silvanus

I have several swords at home which I use to fight with a friend of mine. They are "real" - but of course blunt - broad and longswords. Armor and stuff is pretty expensive, so we try to hold back a little if we score a hit, but it's still fun. (after getting stabbed in the hand though I decided we need gauntlets )

In my opinion, an edged sword (which I have too) is a very effective HD weapon. In such close quarters the "longer effective range" of a firearm is of no advantage and a sword is undoubtedly at least as effective. It's also very simple and easy to use. You don't even need to be very strong to wield it, they are not heavy at all. IMO they are also more intimidating than a firearm, if that is important to you.
Old March 6, 2007, 04:02 PM   #23
CobrayCommando

I'm sitting behind my desk, which soon may have a loaded .44 on it (if funds permit). Its about 20 feet away from the door, which I keep closed... I would say that I could pick up the .44 and empty it into a sword armed attacker before they could get within range to strike me.

Granted, we've reversed the roles so that the attacker has a sword, but there are a bunch of places in every house I've been in where a gun has the ultimate advantage, range, and few where a sword would have a massive advantage.

I mean, if you have the element of surprise you can chop off the guys gun hand, but with a gun you could also blow his head off.

I just don't see them being on equal ground.
Old March 6, 2007, 04:33 PM   #24
Silvanus

You're probably right, I exaggerated with the "at least as effective" comment. That's not true for every situation (like the one you stated).
But it's still a viable option for SD and if you are close enough to your threat, stabbing or slashing someone with a sword is very effective.
And I don't expect some sort of assassin who enters my house, firearm in hand, ready to shoot me. I'm speaking of defending yourself against an intruder (burglar) who - when he realizes that he's been heard/seen - wants to hit you with a crowbar or a knife at the most.
Old March 6, 2007, 05:25 PM   #25
mbs357

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill