The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 20, 2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Logs

Any Calico 9mm rifle guys?

Any other Calico guys????

Curious to see if anyone is running a red dot set up and how you did it?
Old January 21, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2
hootey

Have looked at several. But, do not know a single person that has one or has fired one. How are they?
Old January 21, 2014, 01:57 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

I have one, with a red dot on it. (sorry no pic)

there is a mount that "bridges" over the magazine. It makes changing the magazine a bit more cumbersome, but still easily done. And with the 100rnd mag, I don't really see a need for the fastest possible mag swap.

My carbine also has a vertical foregrip . So far, it feeds, ball, and reloads, including JHPs and is very accurate.

Also have the .22
Old January 23, 2014, 08:57 PM   #4
4thPoint

I had one with both 50 and 100-round helical magazines. The stock sights leave a lot to be desired, but it's not exactly a 'long distance' carbine either. I purchased mine because I wanted something for the wife (and her skill level) to have in an emergency.

Mine took a few magazines to become reliable, before that it would occasionally double and then fail to feed. The improved sighting system would probably have helped a lot. It's kinda nice to see the company making at least a small comeback.

Edit: I do remember having the collapsible stock notched so it would fit her smaller frame. I think it was a tenner for the notching.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

My carbine has several different notches so the stock can be set to different lengths. I got it used, so I can't say for certain, but I think it came that way from the factory.

Also came with the scope mount installed, so all I did was add a cheap red dot sight.
Old February 16, 2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Logs

Range Test....

So when I bought this I asked the guy does it run okay, I don't want a jamomatic. He said it ran fine and if I had any issues he would take it back. So I finally got it to the range for a test drive. After 9 rounds jam, cleared it then it jammed three more times after 3-4 rounds. Most I could shoot was 9 rounds at a time. Tried several brass cased ammo and it didn't help. At one time the spring stuck and the ammo just fell out of the mag. I could need a new mag, but they are not cheap.

Private Seller did take it back at price paid.

Looking at going back to building a 9mm AR.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:33 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I've had four Calicos over the years, one the .22 pistol, the others carbines. Currently have a pair of the carbines, .22 & 9mm. 100rnd mags. Mine work, and don't jam, the 9mm feeds everything I have fed it (ball, LRN, JHP). I don't shoot steel case ammo, so cannot comment on that.

You must wind the mags CORRECTLY. otherwise, they don't work right.
The .22 mag must be watched, and once in a while, carefully disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. The wax lube can build up in the mag and cause issues, eventually.
Old January 22, 2024, 10:42 AM   #8
PolarFBear

FOR 44 AMP

Not resurrecting an old thread just reaching out for guidance. Picked up a wooden stocked 22 with 100 mag, and original box. Plus, a 9mm with 50 mag this weekend. Can you direct me to any written information on either one? Especially how to clean the wax from the 22 mag. TIA.
Old January 22, 2024, 04:20 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I no longer have the .22 sold it a couple years ago, out of state, per the new law...

A quick search (Bing) shows a downloadable version of the owner's manual, and there is also at least one U Tube video.

I would get and study the manual before attempting to disassemble the magazine. Disassembly isn't that hard, but RE-assembly gets tricksy.

The top of the magazine, where the windows are is a thin strip of metal holding the halves of the magazine body together. IF you slide it off, the mag will open up, BUT be careful, if you bend or twist that thin metal clamp, it might not go back together.

I do not know if Calico is still in business, but you might try contacting them. I never had any problem with wax in my .22, and never actually disassembled the magazine. Got started once, just to see how it looked and decided it was not a good idea before I got the clamp strip all the way off. Slid it back into place before I screwed anything up.

Good Luck, and possibly consider using a different brand of ammo that isn't so waxy. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old January 23, 2024, 01:07 PM   #10
PolarFBear

44AMP. Thanks, I'll take your recommendations to heart.