The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 9, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Coyote Calling

Now that Missouri firearms deer season has ended I decided to close the shop about 4PM and take off to do a little coyote calling.

Went up to a neighbors place a little over a mile North, he has a great hedge row that I like to set in and do some calling.

Got to my favorite spot and started to set up when South of me about 300 yards four does take off across a bean field and run past me heading Northwest.

I was not all the way set up yet so I just kneel in place wondering what might have spooked them.

In about a minute I find out, this coyote bounds out into the bean field, stops broadside to me at what I estimated to be 300 yards and watches the deer exit the Northwest corner of the bean field.

Even though the winds in my favor and I have good cover from the hedge row I decide not to move other then to bring my rifle to my shoulder.

I squeeze off the shot from my 223 and the coyote drops like a rock, I get out my range finder and range him, 302 yards.

It sure feels good to get back to hunting coyotes.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 9, 2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Ruger480

Good story. Got any pics?
I'm in the market for a coyote gun. I can't decide between the 223 or the 243. Why did you pick the 223?
Old December 10, 2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Good story. Got any pics?
I'm in the market for a coyote gun. I can't decide between the 223 or the 243. Why did you pick the 223?
Ruger480, Thanks, sorry I don't have any pictures.

As for rifles I have several to choose from in 223, 22-250 and 243.
However the rifle I go to most often is the 223 bolt gun I used to take this coyote.

It's a Savage 10/110 with a 20 inch heavy barrel and large bolt handle.
A distributor I do a lot of business with had these made, they called them a 4x4 truck gun.

This rifle shoots 5/16th inch groups at 100 yards consistently with my handloads, so I have a lot of confidence in it.

As for which caliber you should choose, any of the three I listed above will serve you well in an accurate rifle.

Another plus for the 223 is it burns less powder then the other two I listed and with good handloads you can get the velocity up there where you need it.

Good luck out there coyote hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 10, 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Sometimes the best strategy is no strategy, other than being in the right place at the right time. Hard to be successful hunting if you ain't out in the field. Being there gave you the opportunity, even without calling. Means you made a good choice and know the area and the habits of the animals in it. Outdoorsmanship is basic to hunting any wild animal. Looks like you've got yours.
Old December 10, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

They can be called. I'm in the north part of Arkansas near the MO state line. I gave a predator call I made to a friend. He calls 'yotes to traditional muzzle loading rifle range for dispatch.
Old December 10, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Bowhunter57

Hunter Customs,
I've had my best success with a FoxPro Wildfire electronic caller and a MOJO Critter motion decoy. Coyotes hear the call and when they see the decoy, they know where to go. Calling alone can work, but when the coyote has something to associate with the sound, it certainly draws them out into the open for a shot. The advantage is having the caller and decoy 40 yards or so, away from your location, thus allowing the shooter to go undetected.

As far as rifle calibers, I prefer as much rifle as I can accurately shoot. If saving the pelts is a concern, just shoot them in the head. I switched from a .223 to a .25-06 and have yet to lose a coyote.

Bowhunter57
Old December 11, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

buck460XVR, yes sir, I agree being in the right place at the right time is always a big plus.
I always try taking advantage of the terrain and cover, practice slipping in and back out of where I make my hides, as undetected as possible.
This time it certainly paid off and it has in other times in the past.

Rifleman1776, I love calling coyotes, sure have taken a lot of them doing so.
I have several calls I use, one of my favorites is one I made from deer antler.

Bowhunter57, thanks for the advice, I do have a FoxPro I've used on occasion but I keep it by me.
I actually prefer mouth blown calls for several reasons and use them most of the time.

I've never used a decoy as I don't like stepping out in the open after I've slipped into where I'm going to make my hide.
In the case of the coyote in this story, if I had stepped out into the bean field to place a decoy she would have busted me and I would not have been able to make the shot.

I remember years back when I got serious about coyote calling, Johnny Stewart suggesting going in and out of your hunting spots as undetected as possible, that's what I practice and it seems to work well for me.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 19, 2013, 09:15 PM   #8
bamaranger

shoot'em

I've witnessed coyote(s) running deer multiple times, sometimes in relays, sometimes w/ a flanker hoping to ambush the deer, once w/ a combination of those two tactics.

I've come upon a freshly killed fawn....'almost certainly 'yotes at work.

I've also had 'yotes come in to my turkey calls in the spring, and have heard stories about them bouncing other hunters turkey decoys. I've seen them stalking strutting and gobbling birds.

I figure the 'yote is one reason that our deer numbers are down round here.

Shoot every one you see. Personally, if I am hunting coyotes, I seldom ever get a shot.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Tom68

I know coyotes are indeed wily. In the past few years over hundreds of hours in the woods, I have seen maybe four... But I hear them a LOT, especially this season. A few days ago several started howling at around 4:30 in the afternoon and they couldn't have been more than 200 yards away. I'm with Ranger, I'll shoot em on sight, but I gotta see one first.
Old December 22, 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
thallub

i like to call coyotes on a foggy, misty day. They sometimes seem to outrun their vision and come in very fast. My preferred weapon for this is a shotgun because the coyote can be very close very quickly.

Usually the hides here are not worth keeping because of the warm weather and poor quality.
Old December 24, 2013, 04:28 PM   #11
"JJ"

That is a nice poke with a .223!
Nice shot brother!
A target if opportunity is still a target!
Old December 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #12
Hunter Customs

Quote:
That is a nice poke with a .223!
Nice shot brother!
A target if opportunity is still a target!
Thanks, "JJ".
I've killed coyotes out to 350 yards with this rifle, however in most cases I'll take my 22-250 or one of my 243's if I think I'll have shots at 300 yards plus.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 28, 2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Bultaco

A 300 yd. coyote is a very small target in field shooting. Nice shot! As they say on TV, deer killer down. I sat & looked at a big dog coyote sitting there right @ 300 yds. earlier this winter. That was as close as he was coming. I was working out the details of the shot when I remembered that I had not checked the zero this fall. Passed on the shot & went to the range. Yup, 3" right & 3" high @ 200 yds. All I would have accomplished was to educate that old dog & lessen my chances of getting him in next time.
Old December 31, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

Quote:
A 300 yd. coyote is a very small target in field shooting. Nice shot!
Thanks Bultaco, like any good rifleman should I took advantage of a hedge tree to help steady the shot.
In the field I use anything I can to help steady a shot.
I shoot this rifle a lot so I know how well it shoots, I have a lot of confidence in it.

I believe you made a very wise choice in your situation, there's many out there that would not have done so.
I wish you the best in getting that old dog the next time around.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 4, 2014, 05:48 PM   #15
"JJ"

Hey Bob do you reload?
I just purchased a Remington 700 chambered in .243 and it is my first .243.
I was curious about any pet loads you had.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old January 4, 2014, 07:10 PM   #16
Hunter Customs

"JJ", yes I reload for all my center fire rifles except my 280.
I have two 243's I'll go out to my reloading shop tomorrow and look up the loads I'm shooting in them.

Coyote hunting has been slow the last few days, the dogs are putting it on me.
It's going to be very cold with some fairly strong winds here the next couple of days so I most likely will not be out calling.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 4, 2014, 07:15 PM   #17
"JJ"

I would appreciate that Bob! I picked me up a box of 58gr V-Max and will probably work up a load with them.
But I am interested in any accurate load!

That weather sounds like what we have had lately. We haven't been super cold but the wind has been up close to 20mph the past few days.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Hunter Customs

"JJ", I sent the load info in a PM.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 5, 2014, 12:29 PM   #19
"JJ"

Thanks Bob!