The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Nathan

9mm Powder Puff Loads

Looking for 9mm powder puff loads for 115gr and 124 gr plated RN Bullets...any ideas?

My idea is the bottom of this from Hodgdon:
BULLET WEIGHT115 GR. LRN
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderTitegroup
Bullet Diameter.356"
C.O.L.1.100"
Starting Load
Grains3.9
Velocity (ft/s)1,075
Pressure25,800 CUP
Maximum Load
Grains4.3
Velocity (ft/s)1,151
Pressure30,500 CUP

I'm thinking 3.9 should be a good place to start.

I would love to hear of any powder puff 9mm loads you have.
Old January 6, 2016, 10:59 PM   #2
bluetopper

You'll have to do some experimenting, but just load then powerful enough to "consistently" lock back the slide on your last shot. This power level will vary a bit from gun to gun.

This makes for pleasurable and accurate target ammo.
Old January 6, 2016, 11:34 PM   #3
chris in va

What gun are we talking about here? Stiff recoil spring compact or wet noodle full size?
Old January 7, 2016, 05:15 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

I'm using the Berry 115gr and 124 bullets over a starting load of Bullseye, and AA-5 for about that same velocity range. They shoot great and function my P226 just fine. All the brass would probably go into a 5 gallon bucket set out about 4' from me if I put one there.
Old January 7, 2016, 07:54 AM   #5
AzShooter

Sounds like you have the right combination. If accuracy is good I'd leave things alone.
Old January 7, 2016, 11:35 AM   #6
skizzums

r i regularly go 3.2 with titegroup and 124gr bullets. you just gotta start at the min and work down til you get the acceptable ratio of accuracy/recoil that you are looking for. generally speaking, when you start getting out of those minimum velocities, you see your groups open up and possibly even "key-holing", but your not li,ely to keep a semi-auto cycling at energies that low either. I would just find the min published load data and start working down in .2gr increments until you notice inconsistent ignition and poorer accuracy, all while keeping a super careful eye/ear on a possible squib.

but if you are liking the load your @ with 3.9, then great, stick with it. but you can safely go a decent bit lower. but my favorite 9mm plink accuracy load is the 124gr extreme HP with also 3.9gr of TiteGroup
Old January 7, 2016, 01:05 PM   #7
BigJimP

In my view, you should never go below published minimums ! I think its dangerous - and while it may work / what if it doesn't and you get a squib stuck in the barrel because you don't get reliable ignition....

Its not always intuitive ...but if you go with a faster burning powder...you will find the recoil is lighter...( like Hodgdon Clays )..over TiteGroup - so I think that is a better plan than being an amateur chemist.

on a 115gr jacketed bullet Hodgon publishes 4.5 - 4.8gr TiteGroup / and 3.7 - 3.9 for Clays. The Clays load, and I've tried it ...is significantly less recoil than the TiteGroup load...( but min and max are only 0.2gr apart so you need to be careful and make sure your press and powder drop are on the mark.
Old January 7, 2016, 03:55 PM   #8
g.willikers

^^^^
I vote with BigJim.
The published data is arrived at through vigorous testing.
Funny and unexpected results can happen by straying from the data.
They are called anomalies.
You might be better off finding another combination of components to get what you want.
Old January 7, 2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Nathan

I'll start at 3.9 and call hodgdon before I go lower. I find them very willing to discuss their data.
Old January 7, 2016, 09:01 PM   #10
Mike38

Quote:
I'll start at 3.9 and call hodgdon before I go lower. I find them very willing to discuss their data.
I use 3.9 grains of Titegroup and 115 grain Poly coated lead bullets. Accurate, low recoil, no problems feeding or extracting in my Beretta 92FS with standard recoil spring. I tried 3.7 and the groups opened up, but still no problems with feed or extraction.

I also use 3.9 grains of Titegroup in .45acp with 200 grain LSWC.