The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2011, 10:54 AM   #26
Scorch

While I was in college, I worked for an ammo manufacturer. He made obsolete ammo and standard ammo in commerciable quantities (tens of thousands per order). We would reload 38 Specials, 9mm, 357 Mag, 45 ACP, 223, 308, and 30-06 in large amounts, other cartridges as needed. Start the day by loading primer feeders, case feeders, bullet feeders, and powder hoppers and starting up the equipment, then babysit it all day. Sure, we got to do other things, but that was the norm. And yes, it is work, bullets are heavy, loaded ammo is heavy, and goods come in and go out by the pallet-load every day. We worked in a small light industrial space with no AC, so it was hot in the summer and tolerable in the winter. He paid me as a laborer, and he paid himself if there was ever anything left over after taxes, licenses, and insurance. Like most manufacturing, economies of scale exist. So, having at least been an observer to an ammo manufacturing business, I will say
1- Don't let the naysayers deter you, ever.
2- Check out the costs and revenues available, and decide if you want to live like that.
3- Check out commercial loading equipment.
4- Contact manufacturers of the supplies and consumables and find out what their pricing would be.
5- If it all makes sense after going through all that, then go for it.
Old October 4, 2011, 11:34 AM   #27
Casimer

I know a couple of people who've started ammo companies (e.g. NSK), and while it's not a simple process, it's not quite as difficult as some are making it out to be. A lot of potential problems can be avoided by choosing the right jurisdiction for establishing the facility (i.e. municipality and state). In some areas, they're going to do everything possible to discourage any firearms related businesses. So you'll be hit with environmental reviews, building code enforcement, zoning restrictions etc. etc.. They'll harass you until you run out of money or just go away.

This is one reason that you'll find many small ammo companies in PA but few in NJ - I don't actually know of any in NJ. PA is a much easier state to get something like this going, and it's evident that people can make a business of it at a relatively small scale. Outside of Philly, and a few other cities and suburbs, no one's going to have a conniption over their being an ammo company in town.

Something to consider if you're serious, is that you could potentially buy an existing ammo manufacturer. Many of the owners that I know of are getting older and would probably be eager to find someone that they could sell their business to.
Old October 5, 2011, 05:19 PM   #28
davery25

don't let naysayers get you down man. just look into it without emotion and see if it's plausible. In regards to laws and the like - contact the state firearms office (or whoever deals with that in your state of the US).

the good thing about ammo is that when something new comes along, people want to try it - i know i do. if you have a competitive advantage (i.e guaranteeing all your flashholes are deburred and powder charges without much variance) i imagine that would be a big differentiating selling point.

i dont know how you'd do the brass but if your brass is consistant, then thats another big point.

All of this won't be as hard as it sounds because really - its just one step at a time that you'll be taking. The most you'll waste in this venture is time. Just get onto it if you haven't already.

If you find a way to export down to australia - ill be your first customer.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:17 AM   #29
Walklightly

Wise man once said.

If you don't know, it's already to late.