The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2002, 03:53 PM   #26
co772

That was fun! It actually worked! All 31 fed and fired flawlessly, and the brass made relatively tight groups on the ground. I also used a few of the Winchester white box ammo, which seemed to have slightly less recoil than my reloads. Thanks again!!!

co772 - now addicted to reloading
Old August 23, 2002, 04:31 PM   #27
blades67

Since you're planning to reload .38 Special in addition to 9mm, try Hodgdon HP-38. It works well in 9mm and was made for the .38 Special.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old August 23, 2002, 11:31 PM   #28
DAL

How 'bout Clays?

I hope you don't mind me positing my own question on your topic.

I must confess that I am a lazy reloader when it comes to my handguns (my .30-06 is a different story--I measure each charge, trim the cases, experiment with powders and bullets, neck size, etc.). For my handguns I like to find one load that works reasonably well and stick with it. I have been using Clays for my .38 Spl. reloads to good effect (although it is a bit dirty), and I plan to start using it for my .45 ACP loads as well. My question is this: What about using Clays for the 9mm (whenever I start reloading for it)? It's pretty darn economical powder.

Well, it's off to the reloading bench to crank out a few hundred .38 Spl. rounds before I convert the Square Deal B to .45 ACP, something I've not done before (wish me luck).
DAL

P.S. BTW, I have read so many posts and articles in the past about WW231 that I may have to break out of my laziness and give it a try, along with the new, cleaner-burning Unique.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."
--Patrick Henry, during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution (1788)

"When citizens fear their government, you have tyranny; when the government fears its citizens, you have freedom."
--Thomas Jefferson

GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, ARI, NRA
Old August 25, 2002, 09:25 AM   #29

"444,
Your finding that plated and cast don't measure up to jacketed, how much of a difference are we talking? 2" instead of 3" at 25yds, or 2" instead of 5"?"

Yeah, I would say that we are talking about going from 2"-3" to maybe 5"-6". Like I said, it doesn't matter for most of my shooting. In fact the only time it is a concern is simply when I want to see if I can come up with a real accurate 9mm load. I shoot a lot of 9mm for IDPA and use the plated bullets. I don't think the accuracy difference in that sport is significant. I own a number of 9mm handguns and was thinking about having one of my Browning Hi-Powers tuned for accuracy. If I did this, I probably wouldn't shoot plated bullets. In everything else, I probably would.