The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Center of the Powder Universe

I ran out of H4895 the other day and started making phone calls to see if anyone had it on hand. I'm just sick of Hazmat fees. Having no luck, I called a new store in the area that opened up last year. It's in West Warwick, RI, called Heritage Gun and Coin. They said yes, they did have H4895. So I stopped in and my jaw physically dropped when I walked into the place. It's not a huge store, but they managed to pack at least a 1 lb. bottle of every single powder I know of onto a couple shelves that stretch the width of the building. The full line of just about every manufacturer.

I mean everything. They had many of then in 8 lb kegs too. And they do transfers for FREE. I started talking with the owner and he told me they purchase powder in $25,000 lots. My jaw dropped again. They've got so much damn powder they have to store it offsite!

They also had a ton of primers in stock, I noticed CCI, Remington and Winchester (I've got more than enough myself but I've not seen primers in these parts in over a year). And more lead shot than I have ever seen. I was worried the building was going to fall in under all that weight.

Prices are very good to: About $20.00 for 1lb of powder and $33-$35 for 1K of primers.

If you're in CT, Eastern MA or obviously RI, they are right off I95 Exit 8, it's worth the cost of gas. I was just blown away.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
jmortimer

Slowly the "market forces" are working their "majic" - That is the beauty of Capitalism - generally if you do not panic the market will correct itself and I bet within a year there will be actual competition and possible lower prices on powder and primers.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Sevens

I figure Rhode Island owes us at least that much for giving us Joe Biden!

Seriously, though... cool shop you've got. Nothin' as cool as finding a new shop that you like. My current favorite gun store is 70 miles from me. Yep, there are plenty of others closer and even a few I like, but my favorite is a bit out of town.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Blame Delaware and Scranton, PA for Old Joe, not Little Rhody! We may be small like Delaware, but thats about it.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Sevens

OUCH!
Man, I suck. Sincere apologies!

Open mouth, insert foot. That would be like some schmuck in a discussion forum giving me grief about Ohio having a hand in the Barackolypse!

Thanks for not giving me what I deserve!
Old February 4, 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I don't know, Sevens. You guys are usually a swing state...

That's good news, Yankee. That's a lot of capital that shop owner is investing. Glad to see you putting the good word out to support your local business. Have to admit, I'm a bit jealous...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 5, 2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Sevens

I agree... but in the BHO crowning of Nov '08, we swung enough to the right side that we ended up going the right way...
It just wasn't enough.