The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2002, 02:05 AM   #1
BostPan

Visiting my Lanber

I got the call from my Russian arms dealer (everyone should have one!) today that my Lanber o/u was in, I stopped by to fill out the paperwork and look over the gun before she goes into the safe for the next 10 days.

It's a model 87 12 ga. with 30" bbls, 3" chambers and screw-in chokes. Nice polished blue on the bbls, silver receiver with some engraving, and a matte walnut stock. No gaps in the stock/receiver fit, no excess weld gunk around the bbls and rib. The gun fit together with a little resistance, hopefully that will work out over time. It did come with a red fiber optic sight which looks a little out of place, I'll probably put on a brass bead if it bothers me. A 870 would have been a little less $$$ and probably a whole lot more reliable, but I just loooove the way an o/u looks. If it will hold together for 10,000 rounds I'll consider it $400 well spent.

What did surprise me was the gun/user fit. Being a tall guy with long arms I was expecting the stock to be to short but it mounted well - my thumb was about 2" away from my nose and with my cheek on the stock my right eye was looking straight down the rib towards the little glowing red dohicky at the end.

If it will shoot where I point it and does not fall apart I'll be very happy. But I won't get to know about that for two weeks. I can't wait to try it out on the trap field, there are four boxes of AA light target #8 in my closet begging to be used.

Dave McC, can I talk you into flying out to CA for a few lessons?

-sg.
Old December 12, 2002, 05:11 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, I'm pretty committed until after snow goose season closes in March. However...

Your local range should have some trapshooters willing to give you advice and tips. Or, maybe they've someone on the payroll that's supposed to teach. Failing that, mine the Archives.

McIntosh likes the Lanber, calling it a lot of gun for the money. Most new O'Us are a little stiff.

Given Mike's opinion on the Lanber, I'll forgive you for shunning the 870(G).

Good luck and enjoy, please post a T&E once you get to the range.
Old December 12, 2002, 08:13 AM   #3
PJR

Lanbers are made in a modern facility in Spain and while not seen that much on this side of the ocean they are a common entry level over/under for English clay shooters. They are also used as guns in various UK shooting schools so 10,000 rounds shouldn't be a problem.
Old December 12, 2002, 02:18 PM   #4
bamf

I've had my lanber 87 for last couple months put around 1500 rounds through it without a single problem. When you get it, remove the stock and take a look at the mechanism and you'll be very impressed as I was, very clean and efficient.

For a while I always brought an 870 to the clay fields as a backup gun, I've since stopped doing that and I completely trust the lanber. I'd give the red sight a chance, I have a green light pipe on mine and find it rather helpful.

Enjoy your gun...they are a quite a bit stiff at the beginning, mine is still stiff but not bad at all.
Old December 17, 2002, 03:39 PM   #5
9x19mm

bamf,
does the Lanber 87 have a 3'' chamber?
Thanks
Old December 17, 2002, 03:45 PM   #6
iamkris

yes it does.

CDNN catalog lists it with 3" chamber, 28 or 30" bbls. 5 choke tubes. Nice piece for $400.
Ultima Ratio Civis - the last method of a citizen
Old December 17, 2002, 03:52 PM   #7
9x19mm

Thanks kris