The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 8, 2002, 05:54 PM   #26
LetsFetz

... in case others are looking for holsters, too ... I posted a thread with holster links here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hreadid=116701

cheers and beers
LetzFetz
Old June 8, 2002, 07:14 PM   #27
Damnathius

I have one of the first .22 short versions made in Newbury Park, Ca. Very nice little miniature revolver. I have put some CB caps through it, but to tell the truth, I'd be hard pressed to shoot myself in the foot with it! It's just too small to do anything with other than admire.

Still, it's a nice little wheelgun, and well proportioned.
Old December 25, 2018, 07:49 PM   #28
Shadow9mm

Thanks for the great info, ordered a NAA that is supposed to be here in a few days and just reading up as much as I can. Shot a friends years back and always wanted one, Ordered the magnum with a 22lr conversion cylinder in 1 5/8. Any good new 22 mag carry ammo options other than the speer gold dots? Mostly an around the house/yard gun.
Old December 25, 2018, 08:07 PM   #29
JERRYS.

Holy Lazarus Thread!

I had a NAA .22 mag mini revolver 1 5/8" a while back. it was a well made gun and has some small usage as an Onion Fields gun or loaded with snake shot for when you have one drop in your boat.
Old December 25, 2018, 08:46 PM   #30
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
Holy Lazarus Thread!

I had a NAA .22 mag mini revolver 1 5/8" a while back. it was a well made gun and has some small usage as an Onion Fields gun or loaded with snake shot for when you have one drop in your boat.
yeah, snake shot seemed to pattern really well out of these from what i had seen. This thread had some back a couple times. did some searching around and it was the main one for the NAA I could find on here so back it came.
Old December 25, 2018, 09:04 PM   #31
Carmady

Old threads never die, they just fade away.
Old December 25, 2018, 09:37 PM   #32
Bill DeShivs

When you get to the magnum-sized mini revolvers, you are getting into .32/.380 auto territory. I would much rather have either than the .22 WMR. The best thing .22 magnum does out of a 2" barrel is "Loud."
I have 2 .22 short NAAs from the late 1970s. I carried one of them for many years, as it was the ONLY gun small enough for me to conceal at the time-due to circumstances.
NAA started out with the smallest, so all they can do is make them bigger-and they have.
Why carry a 2" barreled, single action, 5 shot gun in .22 magnum, when you can carry a 7 or 8 shot, double action .32/.380 in the same size package? I believe my P32 is lighter than the magnum minis, too.
Old December 25, 2018, 10:39 PM   #33
2wheelwander

I think I paid ~$125 for mine 20ish years ago? You can count the number of times I've carried it in that time on one hand.

Still, I like looking at it.
Old December 26, 2018, 01:14 AM   #34
ms6852

I ordered this grips from these guys it really makes a difference. They also cell the rubber ammo pods that holds 5 22lr or 22 mag and can be used like a speed loader.
http://www.revisioncv.com/node/12
Old December 26, 2018, 07:55 PM   #35
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
When you get to the magnum-sized mini revolvers, you are getting into .32/.380 auto territory. I would much rather have either than the .22 WMR. The best thing .22 magnum does out of a 2" barrel is "Loud."
I have 2 .22 short NAAs from the late 1970s. I carried one of them for many years, as it was the ONLY gun small enough for me to conceal at the time-due to circumstances.
NAA started out with the smallest, so all they can do is make them bigger-and they have.
Why carry a 2" barreled, single action, 5 shot gun in .22 magnum, when you can carry a 7 or 8 shot, double action .32/.380 in the same size package? I believe my P32 is lighter than the magnum minis, too.
yes, 32 or 380 would be a better choice, although 380 is getting bigger. I went with the NAA mainly because i have wanted one for a long time, since i shot my friends. also because i already have 22lr, and i have a soft spot for 22 mag and plan to get a 22 mag rifle again at some point. 380 is too expensive to shoot and not that much smaller than my LC9s. I like 32 and will probably get one eventually, but i just like the NAA's more.
Old December 26, 2018, 07:58 PM   #36
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I ordered this grips from these guys it really makes a difference. They also cell the rubber ammo pods that holds 5 22lr or 22 mag and can be used like a speed loader.
http://www.revisioncv.com/node/12
i have been looking at those grips, still undecided. gun is supposed to get here later this week and i want to shoot it and get comfortable with it before i decide if i need to change it up. I feel like it will add too much size to the gun. Not against it, just undecided for now.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:12 PM   #37
GeoJelly

WOW!! A thread from 2002 - this is a first for me to comment on such an ancient thread. But, on-topic, I shoot .22 WRF thru my short-barreled NAA in .22Mag. I have only fired it in an indoor range, so I don't know how it would sound outside (it's near-deafening inside!). Accuracy is awful because all of the WRF (CCI) bullets keyhole at 5-yd, but I'm sure it would make a nasty hole in ... ahem ... a potential target. Wouldn't trade it for anything - I really like it.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:20 PM   #38
ms6852

It won't add as much as you think and will improve your accuracy tremendously. On occasion I have carried it in my shirt pocket when I wear a vest.
Old December 27, 2018, 11:59 AM   #39
Cheapshooter

Well, I'll jump on the zombie. Since I didn't have a Mini Revolver way back when this thread was alive.
I just don't see a reason to take a tiny little revolver, and make it bigger with an out of proportion grip.
Mine is the miniest of Minis, the 22 Short model. It's loads of fun just as is. As for any practical carry use, why? When multi shot semis in 32 or 380 are so easy to conceal.
I plan on adding a Mini Revolver in 22 longrifle, and another in 22 WMR. Just 'cause those tiny little revolvers are so cool. If they stay tiny that is.
Putting big, out of proportion grips on them is like buying a Smart Car, and putting a Ram truck cab on it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 27, 2018, 12:26 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

I bought a 22S because it looked so cute. Like a baby gun. I don't see adding bigger stocks on the guns. They are what they are for being as little as possible as a BUG or NPE carry.
Old December 27, 2018, 01:50 PM   #41
willr

The grips on the Black Widow make it much more manageable. But NAA offers some wood grips for the magnum frame which are great -- well worth the extra price. Grips are similar in size to the BW. I've not tried the folding grip -- just doesn't look right to me
willr
Old December 27, 2018, 02:38 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

Those Black Widow grips look hideous! Takes all the mini out of the Mini. I've never had a problem "managing" my Mini Revolver with the tiny grips.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 28, 2018, 08:36 AM   #43
M88

I'm on board with those that keep the original grips rather than put larger ones on. Seems to defeat the purpose of it. I shoot mine (.22 mag) occasionally but it's purely a "fun" gun with little other purpose (for me). I like the look of it, just a cool little thing sitting there waiting to be "played" with.
Old December 28, 2018, 03:56 PM   #44
Msauter

I’ve heard them described as a “get-off-me gun” or as a “loud knife” ...

Old December 29, 2018, 04:49 PM   #45
Auto5

I had one of the .22LR minis for a few years. Neat little gun, but I probably could have thrown it more accurately than I could shoot it. I eventually traded it for a PSP .25 (Browning clone). A few years ago, I was looking for a compact pocket plinker. My first choice Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper was out of my price range and unobtainable anyway. Instead, I picked up an NAA Sheriff .22LR and .22WMR convertible. The longer barrel and larger grip make it easier to shoot than the minis.
Old December 29, 2018, 05:43 PM   #46
Carmady

Quote:
Neat little gun, but I probably could have thrown it more accurately than I could shoot it.
I was thinking the other day about an option to reloading those. Just put that little sucker in a slingshot and let it rip.
Old December 29, 2018, 07:01 PM   #47
Glenn E. Meyer

These are the grips I put on the 1 5/8 inch 22 mag:

http://northamericanarms.com/shop/accessories/grc-m/

I like them better than the wood and they are not larger.

As far as accuracy, if you are in TX - you may remember the old DPS bottle shaped target for the CHL. The max score was 250 which is easily shot with a full sized gun. So for grins, I shot it with the NAA. Scored 230 points with three off the target on the side of the head and 5 shots outside of the 5 point area (best scoring area). So at CHL distances, they are manageable.

With the 22S, I shot about a 150 - it is an in your nose gun.
Old December 29, 2018, 11:05 PM   #48
wild cat mccane

Just to add:

Goldenlocki that was mentioned in the first page...shut down his awesome ballistics website and moved to Thailand over 10 years ago.
Old December 30, 2018, 04:18 PM   #49
Shadow9mm

So... 22lr shoots straight, 22mag, speer gold dot short barrel 40g, is key holing. top 22lr, bottom 22mag. 3yds for both groups. 22lr will broup like the 22mag if i do my part. want to step the distances to 7yds eventually, getting used to the gun. 35rnds 22 mag, 60rnds 22lr today.

Does anybody know the twist rate for these guns? google is failing me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181230_160123.jpg (197.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 30, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old December 30, 2018, 09:28 PM   #50
Bill DeShivs

3 yards is 9 feet. It would be almost impossible for a bullet to keyhole at that distance. Are you sure the target wasn't flapping in the breeze?

If keyholing, there should be serious and obvious damage to your muzzle.