The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2023, 05:32 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good Dog horn

The good dog horn.

Like the Rosetta Stone, it says the same thing in three scripts: archaic latin, latin and english. "Feed me and walk me." Final line is "Good Dog."

When the other email arrives I'll show the other side with a hunting scene and the butt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg doghorn1.jpeg (576.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpeg doghorn2.jpeg (524.7 KB, 66 views)
Old June 23, 2023, 09:34 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

first image is the hunting scene on the other side and then the bottom image is the compass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gooddog4.jpeg (516.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpeg gooddog3.jpeg (588.6 KB, 45 views)
Old June 24, 2023, 11:25 PM   #3
bamaranger

neat!

I've got an old horn that came out of a barn that was being torn down. The contractor thought it was a powder horn and bless him, gave it to me. I recognized it right off, it has what appears to be a pewter mouthpiece, but the body of the horn was cracked. A bit of redneck fix'n and I got the old girl to sound!

I carry it in early spring to locate gobblers on the roost. I keep it in the 4WD and use it occasionally during season when roosting in the evening.

I'd be curious to see what type, if any, sort of mouth piece your horn utilizes? If it has a mouthpiece, can you do another pic of same?
Old June 25, 2023, 12:09 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Horn was left at school for the farewell dinner show 'n tell. I'll get it back next week and get a full shot of it. It's a powder horn.

Every bugle horn has its peculiar sound and it was used for signaling among mountain folk. "Let's hunt." "Need help." Some parts of Chihuahua, Mexico still use horns for calling the cows home.
Old June 25, 2023, 12:02 PM   #5
Pahoo

Waiting for more !!!

Quote:
I'd be curious to see what type, if any, sort of mouth piece your horn utilizes? If it has a mouthpiece, can you do another pic of same?
Gary,
I too have been curious on how it's tipped and plugged. I suspect that it's not an old horn but yes, unique. As I've listed before, back then and even now, to some degree, horns had many uses. One of my horns is tipped with a silver drinking spout and scalloped open end. Came from Poland and after cleaning it, drank a beer, out of it. My smallest and detailed horn, is a priming horn. Collecting horns is a great hobby. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 26, 2023, 10:48 PM   #6
bamaranger

hounds

Think most certainly that my old timer horn was used to call coon hounds. Once upon a time coon hunting was a really big deal around here.

There is a local novelty/attraction........Coon Dog Cemetary, Cherokee AL

goggle it and select images. I will try and get bamaboy to help me post pic of my old horn
Old June 27, 2023, 12:01 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I couldn't post the images here. Too big.

Plug is pine. First time in years and I salvaged it from a pallet. Don't make the same mistake I did. If it looks weak, don't use it. The first attempt failed when the wood shattered while sawing it. The second one chipped out on the milling machine. Third's a charm.

The tip is carved but won't be tapered ream until I get the horn back on Thursday morning.

Scroll down to see the overall image at THR.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...g-horn.920325/