The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 27, 2022, 11:50 PM   #1
idek

making barrels legal length with muzzle devices?

I've been looking at bullpup kits for 10/22's (just for fun--I already have two conventional 10/22 setups and a third barrelled action sitting around), but some of these require barrels at least 18" long to meet OAL requirements. I already own a lightweight 16.5" barrel that I'd prefer using. Could I use something like J-B Weld to permanently attach a brake or compensator onto the barrel to meet OAL requirements?

Thanks for any help.
Old April 28, 2022, 12:18 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

No.
The devices would have to be hard soldered (1200 degrees plus) or blind pinned and welded over.
You can't do either with the aluminum barrel.
BTW- "JB Weld" is not permanent. It's just epoxy.
Old April 28, 2022, 08:38 AM   #3
dogtown tom

A 16.5" bbl will be fine......if you add to the stock length.
16" minimum bbl length
AND
26" minimum OAL

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 28, 2022, 09:09 AM   #4
idek

Thanks for the replies.
Old April 28, 2022, 10:09 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

JB Weld = ATF shoots your dog.

High temp solder, blind pin and weld, or weld.

But, as mentioned, you might meet minimum OAL with the action length and stock design, anyway.

According to the drawing in this thread, it looks like you're working with about 6.250" from chamber face to the rear of the action. (10-22 dimensions)
That would mean roughly 22.75" OAL for the barreled action. If the bullpup chassis adds 3.25" or more (whatever is necessary to reach 26"+), it would be legal.
If not, you need a longer barrel or permanently mounted muzzle device as an extension. Or spend just a little bit more, Form 1 it as an SBR, and run whatever barrel(s) you want.
Old April 28, 2022, 11:57 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

If the attachment is to meet legal min barrel length requirements, Fed law requires it to be "permanent".

Ask the ATF what that means (this week...) Blind pins, pins welded over, and silver solder (the high temp solder previously mentioned) have been acceptable in the past, I don't know what they consider acceptable today (hence the "this week" comment - the ATF is known for changing their minds on things)

Get their ruling. If possible, get in it writing on ATF letterhead with an agent's NAME on it. That's about all you can do to CYA, if they later on change the rules.