The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 2, 2014, 08:27 AM   #1
gungarage

Colt revolver crane lock screw

Does anyone know what the crane lock screw thread size is. I have tried 5x40 and 5x44 and neither feel right.
Al
Old August 2, 2014, 10:46 AM   #2
gyvel

For which models? Are you referring to the old 2 piece lock, or the later models with the threaded cap lock?
SIFE
Old August 3, 2014, 04:16 PM   #3
redhawk45

I think you are going to need a Python crane lock screw since it is specific for use by colt in that action. All Pythons used the same screw. Check Numerich gun parts . You will need parts 7,8,9 the screw alone is part 8 and works in conjunction with the spring and detent to hold crane. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...thon-36588.htm They appear sold out at the moment but that is what you need. Try Colt Parts.com, or Jack First gun parts.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The threaded cap type wouldn't be 5x anything; the OP must be referring to the old type crane lock screw (the two-piece type).

FWIW, I get 42tpi on a Police positive, but with so few threads it is hard to be sure. A problem with gun screws is that gun companies like Colt, S&W, Winchester and Remington were around before there were any standards, and they made their own screws to their own specifications for the intended use.

BTW, note that that screw has a double head, so unscrewing it lifts the crane lock also. An ordinary screw will be OK to hold the crane lock in place, but without the double head screw, the lock will have to be pried out once the screw is removed.

Jim
Old August 8, 2014, 03:31 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
The threaded cap type wouldn't be 5x anything; the OP must be referring to the old type crane lock screw (the two-piece type).
Good point. Went right over my head.
SIFE