The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 27, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1
3AXBAT

Did Johnson Automatics make other rifles?

I've got a rifle I'd like to learn a lilttle more about. It's a 1903 MK I action rebarrelled and chambered for 22 Hornet, single-shot only. The barrel is marked "Johnson Automatics 22 Hornet", 24" and has a curved taper. No front sight, but it does have a base for a Lyman receiver sight. It is stocked in an M1922 stock, and is checkered in a point pattern on the fore-end below the finger-grooves, has a nickle-silver? diamond inlaid in the middle of that. The pistol grip is checkered in a point pattern wrapping over the top of the grip. It has an old Mershon Co Skeet Style ventilated recoil pad along with a plexiglass spacer. The bolt handle has been altered to clear a scope and it's got a low swing Buhler type safety. The whole thing just looks like something from the 40's or 50's.

Did Johnson Automatics make rifles that weren't, well, automatic? What do I have?
Old October 28, 2007, 09:40 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes. In 1947, in an effort to keep the company going after WWII, Johnson Automatics established a Custom Gun Department that made custom sporters on various military actions. You have one of those rifles. Johnson Automatics went out of business in 1949, so your rifle is fairly rare, although I don't know if there is any collector interest.

It should be a good shooter, though.

Jim
Old October 29, 2007, 08:09 PM   #3
3AXBAT

Thanks for the info. I'm ahead of where I was.

It's a heavy rifle, so it really tames that vicious Hornet recoil. I've only taken it out once, and that was more to check for function than accuracy.