The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 28, 2010, 10:23 PM   #176
The Great Mahoo

I tend to, on the days that I am carrying. Once I strap it on, I just leave it on till I have to take it off or am ready for bed. If it becomes a bother, if I am working on somehting or what not, I'll take it out of the holster and leave it on the end/coffee table, but I don't have others around to worry about leaving it unsecured, and I'm never too far from it while it is off of my person.
Old November 29, 2010, 02:19 AM   #177
AwlArtist

I just read 8 pages with avid interest. I used to carry most of the time, a lil 25 in my front pocket. I don't know why I ever put it back in the safe.
Statisics are very interesting. My view on that one is, if you are carrying, and the bad guy thinks you are (or sees evidence) and splits, is that now a number that will never be counted?
Do I carry while sleeping? Yes, yes I do. I have a .22 Mag single action revolver, Loaded, under my pillow.
My husband died 6 months ago. I now live alone. I knew I was protected when he was here, he was a much better shot than I.
Single action means I will have to intentionally pull that hammer back. I am not worried about accidents while I sleep.
I now have a dog (if you can call it that) a 6 month old (or so) weiner dog. He loves people, so no help there, but he does have a mean sounding bark in the middle of the night.
I have 4 year old grandbabies through most of the day. I keep my door shut, the boys know the gun is there, they know its a 'real' pow-pow.
They have toys, MY kids were not allowed toy guns as I was raised that guns are not toys, but the youngest has been shooting with us a couple times and is already being taught firearm etiquette. (I raised 3 girls and they all love to shoot). I demonstrated to the baby what a .12 ga would do, close up, to a bleach bottle. His eyes got big, and I could see that he fully understood that this was a 'big owie'.
There have been cases of crime in our neighborhood, a trailer park. Attempted rape next door by a stranger, kids vandalizing and breaking into an eldery lady across the street- she was not at home. All kinds of domestic violence, even against my own daughter, 2 doors down by her husband. She now has her own revolver and a DVO for 2 more years.
I keep my doors locked when I am alone or with only a 4 year old. I am not going to invite trouble in the front door, but if it happens to force its way in, I will do all I can to prevent harm to those babies.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:51 AM   #178
hondauto

I don't usually carry in my house.But I carry (ccw) everywhere else permitted by law.
I have a safe that opens in about 2 seconds and that's where the guns are.
My wife just started to like guns(46 years old) and I would be estastic if she would let me carry in the home.
I don't view this as paranoia,just preparation.better to be paranoid while staying alive than be a totally sane person and dead.
Old November 29, 2010, 11:03 AM   #179
boredom

i dont, but its never more than 5 steps away. the safe is left unlocked while im awake and home, so it shouldnt be an issue if needed.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:12 PM   #180
firfightir

yes

yes i do carry in my house... I carry my sig p250 with me at all times. i recently had my home broken into and they stole 8000 dollars worth of stuff including my springfield 1911 that my fiances grandpa gave me before he past... i always here that they will return about a month or two after the first break in so they can get the stuff that you have replaced... im ready for them the next time. i was not home the first time... i also have a mossberg 500 tactical that is in the house too.... they guys at the firehouse all carry in home also...
Old December 2, 2010, 03:55 AM   #181
Xyas

Yes

Yes, I carry in my house. Pistol is always in its holster at 4 o'clock while I'm home, and if I'm sleeping, it's in the drawer next to me.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:03 PM   #182
Philo

I carry at home.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:41 PM   #183
k31

if the world is bad off enough for me to feel the need to carry out side then there is a definite need to carry any time give to me
i carry a full size 1911 or my wifes s/w 40
i dont trust people outside what makes you think they change if they change at the front door
Old December 3, 2010, 01:23 PM   #184
Big Yac

So to all you that have a gun hidden in every room, do you take the time to lock them up when you go away? How would you like to get shot by your own gun, coming home to find someone has broken in while you were gone and found your stash, just sounds so paranoid to me. I dont ccw or even oc, I leave my doors unlocked and leave detailed house plans laying around marking the locations of my guns incase someone stops by. I dont even lock my doors because Chuck Norris is my neighbor...and nobody except the bad guys has to worry when Chuck Norris is around.
Old December 3, 2010, 02:52 PM   #185
youngunz4life

big yac, i don't have guns lieing around in other rooms as I said in my post, but I don't think you should judge others that do. Many people grow up in entirely different households and/or environments, and they treat their guns differently. That doesn't mean they are unsafe. I do agree one must be careful about the threat of someone using one of your personal firearms against you in the commission of a crime.
Old December 3, 2010, 02:58 PM   #186
LordTio3

Quote:
So to all you that have a gun hidden in every room, do you take the time to lock them up when you go away? How would you like to get shot by your own gun, coming home to find someone has broken in while you were gone and found your stash, just sounds so paranoid to me. I dont ccw or even oc, I leave my doors unlocked and leave detailed house plans laying around marking the locations of my guns incase someone stops by. I dont even lock my doors because Chuck Norris is my neighbor...and nobody except the bad guys has to worry when Chuck Norris is around.

For the record, I do carry in my house. I'm typically in and out a lot and don't take the time to arm/disarm/arm/disarm/etc... I spent good money on a carry rig that's comfortable enough to wear around all day... so I do.

~LT
Old December 3, 2010, 03:12 PM   #187
Glenn E. Meyer

The next person that decides to call someone paranoid or makes stupid jokes is going to have some forum difficulties.

If you don't want to carry at home, don't. If you have a reasoned objection, state it. If you want to name call, go elsewhere.

Also, we do value grammatical and coherent posts. That's another hint.

GEM
Old December 3, 2010, 04:44 PM   #188
markj

Quote:
has to worry when Chuck Norris is around.
Can you get his autograph for my son?

We read every day about thugs breaking into good folks houses at all times of the day or night. Some in places crime never was before. If someone wants to carry a weapon for their self defense, I say go for it. I dont hide guns all over the place but if someone enters my place and they dont belong there I want my wife and Mom to be able to protect themselves while I am away.

Dont have a chuck norris around. And for those that dont have him I say a gun is next best choice.

He did carry a gun in his tv show.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:41 PM   #189
tenusdad

Get a NAA 22 or 22 mag for home - you can carry anywhere but the shower. That should get you to your Glock or whatever.
Old December 3, 2010, 07:55 PM   #190
dalegribble

do i carry when relaxing around the house? usually no but i do have a gun usually within arms reach.
Old December 3, 2010, 09:15 PM   #191
chrisbarcelo

Sometimes I do. But there are times I dont. When I dont carry, I make sure that my 1911 is just one foot away from where I am. No kids to worry about.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:13 PM   #192
ncpatriot

I do if I'm wearing a jacket or vest that make it easy, often carry while doing yard work. If not on me, it's 10 seconds away. I got my older daughter's attention around 5:00 am one morning. She woke up, missing something from the car. Went out for it. The dog woke me when she was opening the door to get back it. She came in, turned around and saw me with my S&W raised up, ready to level out & fire if needed. She was scared for a minute, but then said she felt safer, knowing I was ready for intrusions. I always do the up thing, takes only a split second to level out if needed. Less frightening with such a false alarm. Fortunately, we have very little serious crime in our neighborhood, but I know that could change any time.
Old December 4, 2010, 12:05 AM   #193
Mr. James

Ha. I made an unexpected visit to a friend today, and he greeted me with a S&W Model 19 jammed into his Levi's, small of back. He joked, "you got a problem with that?"

"Not at all, I never open the door without a pistol in arm's reach."

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old December 6, 2010, 06:38 AM   #194
chaplain tom

This question was asked on another forum ("We The Armed") I sometimes post to, and here was my reply over there.

Some on that site got a little of the topic by going into all sorts of demographics about drug types and the like so please don't go that way here.

I was just explaining why I do carry at home AT ALL TIMES, and why I recommend everyone do the same.

MT QUOTE FROM ANOTHER FORUM:
I've lived at my current residence for a little over a year now. From the first week after moving in, I have noticed an abnormal amount of traffice on my street. This is a side street with about 25 - 30 houses on it and it's about 1/4 mile long and goes absolutley nowhere of any importance. I have noticed that most of the traffic on this street comes in from one direction, goes past my house and within 10 -15 minutes comes back the opposite direction. This goes on almost 24 hours a day. Looks like drug traffic to me. I know most of the cars that belong to people on this street and I see at least 10 times that amount of strange cars coming and going.

Since moving in here I've heard gunfire on the average of 3 times a month and sometimes 3 times in a week within walking distance from my door. I know what a gun sounds like and this is gunfire. A friend whom I've known for about 20 years lives about 5 houses from me and he told me that he came home one night after getting off work late, (about 3:00AM) and he had to call the cops because there was a shoot out in the alley just behind his house. In the same area where I think the drug dealer lives. At least one of them. I think there are more than one. This alley is close enough to my driveway to hit it with a rock if I wanted to. I have reported these goings on to LEO with no response. I have been told that the police do not want to come into this area.

Am I paranoid for carrying 24 - 7 while at home? I also don't leave the house without a gun either. I don't want to walk in on someone without being armed.

Why do I live here you might ask? Because I've owned this house for several years and after I had an accident that pretty much ended my working days I had to sell my other home and move back here. I couldn't afford the other place anymore. I'm pretty much stuck here for the time being anyway. This neighborhood was not like this 20 years ago when I lived here before. So YES I do carry at home and I would recommend EVERYONE do the same, no matter where you live.
Old December 6, 2010, 07:42 AM   #195
Sgt.Fathead

Here in NJ, a miserable 'may issue' state, we can't carry except in very constrained circumstances. Yes, I carry in the home.

Your initial post caught my eye wherein you wrote something to the effect of not carrying because your arms are '15-20 seconds away'. Take it from this former Marine and combat vet, that's a lifetime when things turn bad! It's likely you'd never reach your Glocks in time. Get a holster and mag carriers and carry, carry, carry.

First rule of winning a gun fight is to bring a gun in the first place. I am not like my friend Chris though; Remington Marinecote 12 gauge in the shower vestibule (in a dry box of sorts, but easily accessible!), handgun in every room including a Coach Gun in the laundry room and a Sig in the kitchen.

Be Prepared!
Old December 8, 2010, 03:25 PM   #196
Long Path

I've generally got a pound of persuasion in my pocket, if I've got pants on.
Old December 9, 2010, 04:56 PM   #197
cycleguru

If I'm in and out, running errands and such, then, yes, I'm carrying in and around the house. I don't put my gun away each time I come into the house, just leave it holstered. But if I'm hunkered down for the day, not going anywhere, then I'm probably not carrying. I do have a couple of guns I can get to in seconds if need be.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:16 PM   #198
zxcvbob

Quote:
Here in NJ, a miserable 'may issue' state, we can't carry except in very constrained circumstances. Yes, I carry in the home.

Your initial post caught my eye wherein you wrote something to the effect of not carrying because your arms are '15-20 seconds away'. Take it from this former Marine and combat vet, that's a lifetime when things turn bad! It's likely you'd never reach your Glocks in time. Get a holster and mag carriers and carry, carry, carry.
If the gun is your first line of defense, you are right. If the bad guys have to maneuver thru a deadbolted door, 2 big dogs, piles of stuff everywhere, and toys on the floor before they get to you, 20 seconds isn't so bad.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:58 PM   #199
hondauto

My bet is they won't even get past the dogs.----too much work and attention drawn.
Oh and BIG YAK...Obviously you haven't ever been victimized in any way.
First time you have and live to tell about it, well then come back and call us paranoid..
Good day!
Old December 9, 2010, 06:16 PM   #200
gimike

Much better to have it with you than to have it someplace that someone else might be able to get to it before you.