The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Jkwas

The Lee seating/crimping die......

I've been using the Factory crimp die that came with my .38spl set instead of trying it in one operation. After reading the Lee reloading manual, it gave a better set of instructions for using the seating/crimping die so I decided to play around with it last night on some empty cases. After setting it up and trying it, I couldn't tell the difference between the two methods. The crimp strength and appearance were identical. So I will try a batch of 50 and let you folks know how it works out. If it does it will save me an entire step. Pretty cool
Old March 11, 2009, 01:02 PM   #2
kyle663

i use seating/crimp die on all my pistol reloading. on rifles i use the factory crimp die.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:48 PM   #3
mkl

I think you will find the regular roll crimp that comes with your seating die perfectly adequate for the 38 Special. That's the only one I use for my 38's.

The factory crimp die is useful for very hard recoiling cartridges because it will put a firmer crimp on any cartridge.

I use a FCD on my super-magnum Bowen conversion in 45 Colt because the recoil is significantly harder than even a 44 magnum. Don't need it on any of my other handgun ammo, including 357 mag.

I use the FCD on my rifle in 45-70 when I am loading full power "lever action" loads. I do not need it for my lighter 45-70 loads.

My general experience with the FCD is that you probably should not use it unless your bullets are moving during recoil, and you are sure that you already have the neck tension correct. It will work the case mouth more than a simple taper or roll crimp which means shorter case life.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:42 PM   #4
tiberius10721

factory crimp die can solve bulging problem on reloading blazer brass for 38 special

i started using factory crimp die on blazer brass for 38 special because some of my reloads with this brass would not smoothly fit all the way in the cylinder of my revolver the factory crimp die solved this problem.
It was wierd problem cause it was only blazer brass i had this problem with for 38 special
Old March 13, 2009, 07:25 AM   #5
Jkwas

Worked like a charm

I finally got around to loading some 38spl last night and used the seating/crimping die. Worked great! I loaded 100 rnds in a little more time than it took me to do 50. They all came out perfect with no bulging or adverse affect on sizing.