The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Oberg

Hornady Concentricity Gauge?

So on another post were I have asked a few questions about tighting up my groups we talked about Concentricity Gauges (Tough word to say) and bullet run out. Problem I've come to conclude from these talks is that bullet runout can't be fixed once found. But now after some searches I've seen this. Hornady came out with a new gauge this year that not only finds bullet runout and case neck thickness but also it fixes bullet runout to zero. Anyone read about this or tried it? What do you guys think?
Old March 12, 2009, 11:57 PM   #2
DEDON45

It sure looks like it would work; the little promo video I saw about it seemed to show that it worked.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
rn22723

Vaporware
Old March 13, 2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Someone else came up with the idea originally. I remember seeing the tool at Camp Perry on Commercial Row one year. It was arranged differently from the Hornady, but basically used something to attempt to correct bullet tipping after gauging.

The thing is, I expect that approach could fool you into making matters worse under some circumstances. I noticed the first time I got a Redding Competition Seater Die (.30-06 for my match Garand) that it made every round perfectly. This was with 168 grain SMK's and LC brass. The exception was when the case neck was unevenly thick. In that instance it would produce a round with runout error exactly equal to the error in neck thickness. In other words, the bullet was exactly in parallel with the case axis whether I could measure runout or not? Had I "corrected" that meaured error, the bullet would no longer be parallel with the case axis, but would be tipped. Now, which form of error is worse for accuracy, is hard to say without conducting some experiments. But if you want truly straight seating, you will likely have to uniformly turn your case necks or else sort out the uneven cases. That turned out to be about 80% of my last lot of Winchester .308 cases.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle