The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2020, 05:48 PM   #1
dyl

Need opinion: Used Lyman, or Hornady new Dimension?

If you had to choose between purchasing a used set of 340 Weatherby Magnum dies, would you choose between:

Used Lyman dies (no picture), or used Hornady New Dimension dies (a little rusty)?

The Hornady seems recent, picture shows the current red box with shiny plastic label. Floating sleeve design. Zip spindle is a bit rusty as is the outside of the sizing die. Going to cost $45.

The Lyman I have no clue about age. The online store has no pictures, but states they have been "inspected" visually and cleaned so I'm assuming no rust. 340 WBY Magnum is not a popular cartridge anymore, so there's a chance this set of dies was from the 70's or 80's. Probably going to cost $35

My understanding is that many people prefer RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Lee about the same and notice no difference in accuracy except finish. It's not until you get to Redding or Forster dies that there may be some improvement.

What would you do and why? I'm just trying to make an informed decision instead of a blind one.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 22, 2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Nathan

Hornady has always worked very well for me for standard dies. Lyman makes good dies in my opinion...which is cheaper?
Old September 22, 2020, 09:19 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Been using Lyman dies since the early 70s. Never had any Hornady dies, so I don't know anything about them.

SO, based on what I know, I would choose Lyman.
Old September 22, 2020, 09:56 PM   #4
dyl

Quote:
Hornady has always worked very well for me for standard dies. Lyman makes good dies in my opinion...which is cheaper?
The Lyman dies (no picture) are $35 shipped, from an online store. The Hornady dies are $45 from a popular online auction store.

I'm just going to be loading some up for my father in law and I to shoot together. Seeing as how recoil is... real, I suppose we won't be shooting a ton anyways. I may just get the cheaper one as it's about saving money.
Old September 23, 2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Nathan

I would get the Lyman and pocket the $10.

I just bought a set of Lyman 32-20 dies....I paid like $35-$40 online to my door. I’m quite happy with them.

Last edited by Nathan; September 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old September 23, 2020, 12:10 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Somehow I don't see the idea of saving money and shooting a .340 Weatherby magnum going well together.

As I said, I would pick the Lyman, but not for $10 difference, but because I have other Lyman die sets and parts, so, if I need a lock ring, setscrew, decapping pin or even a decapping spindle, I have parts on hand and don't have to wait for them to be shipped.
Still, $10 is $10 and that alone makes it worth it, to me.
Old September 23, 2020, 06:38 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

IMHO, dies are dies. Lyman has always made excellent dies. Ditto for Hornady, RCBS, and a couple of others. Lots of people love to dump on Lee, but I use Lee dies almost exclusively and I've loaded many thousands of rounds with them. They all seem to work, and I doubt if the bullet or the case knows or cares what brand of dies I use.
Jeepaholic
Old September 24, 2020, 01:21 AM   #8
BJung

Does either brand have a better warranty?
Old September 24, 2020, 08:29 AM   #9
noylj

Hornady New Dimension and Lee are my favorite dies.
Get the one that YOU feel best about.