The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 6, 2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Magna Port or Power Port: The Effects of Porting

This is a highly subjective experiment due to so many variables, but I still had fun. Different revolvers, recoil based on feel and no tools to measure sound. There are a few things we can learn from the data collected.

Porting & Velocity
S&W model 65 nonported always turned in the highest velocity
S&W model 19 power port always turned in the second highest velocity.
S&W model 13 magna port always turned in the lowest velocity.

Porting definitely impacts velocity and increases muzzle blast but is very effective at reducing felt recoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9KuKdjzDZ4
Old August 6, 2017, 11:45 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Porting has nothing to do with velocity. The bullet is out of the barrel by the time any port does anything.
A port in the middle of the barrel might cause velocity changes though. Ports don't belong in the middle of the barrel.
Old August 6, 2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Nathan

Porting definitely affects velocity! Thanks for the data MRG.
Old August 6, 2017, 01:45 PM   #4
74A95

Looks like a fun comparison!

You might find the link below of interest if you have not seen it already:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...s-compensator/
Old August 6, 2017, 01:50 PM   #5
wild cat mccane

When porting begins, that is your barrel length.

A 4" barrel ported at the last inch will likely perform at a 3" barrel for fps, all else being equal.
Old August 6, 2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Looks like a fun comparison!

You might find the link below of interest if you have not seen it already:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...s-compensator/
Thank you I had not seen that.

I had even more fun off camera with rapid fire between all 3 and again the Power Port reigned supreme for follow up shots.
Old August 7, 2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Master Blaster

Quote:
This is a highly subjective experiment due to so many variables,
You have that right, unless you chrono'd the three guns before they were ported and after you really cannot make any general conclusions about the effect of different types of porting on velocity.
Old August 7, 2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Dave T

I've owned two "ported" S&W 357 revolvers.The 3" L-comp and a limited production 4" L-comp. In both cases the recoil wasn't reduced at all but the muzzle jump/flip was reduced. Consequently faster follow-up shots were possible.

This was accentuated by the power of the load being shot. Shooting 38 Specials, even today's so called +P loadings, there was hardly any advantage to the "comp" models. Fill the cylinder with 357 Magnums and the effect could be immediately noticed.

YMMV,
Dave
Old August 7, 2017, 07:25 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I've owned two "ported" S&W 357 revolvers.The 3" L-comp and a limited production 4" L-comp. In both cases the recoil wasn't reduced at all but the muzzle jump/flip was reduced. Consequently faster follow-up shots were possible.
+1
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 7, 2017, 07:37 PM   #10
tipoc

Quote:
Porting has nothing to do with velocity. The bullet is out of the barrel by the time any port does anything.
Think about this some and I think you'll see that is not the case.

Porting in general does effect velocity. But how much varies by load, bullet, powders used and the gun. Whether porting makes any significant negative impact on velocity, is questionable. It's usually not so much as to make any difference on anything you'd be shooting at.

It does make a significant impact on muzzle flip and recoil recovery though. That's usually the point of doing it.

I think the results of the video bear that out.

tipoc
Old August 18, 2017, 03:20 AM   #11
rock185

I've only shot a few ported guns, but the felt recoil was as Dave T said. Recoil was not reduced, but was more straight back/less muzzle rise. A couple of the ported guns I can recall, a S&W .41 Mag. and Benelli 12 Ga., were not that much fun to shoot due to substantial, more linear, recoil. But the the muzzle jump was reduced as advertised.

I realize to accurately compare ported and unported velocities, you'd have to test unported, then have that same barrel ported. But FWIW, we once did some chronographing with a Glock 22 and a ported 22C. With our particular guns, there was no significant difference in velocities, and sometimes average velocities with the ported gun were higher. The porting of the 22C did actually result in less muzzle rise......YMMV

Gotta say the weirdest thing I've experienced with a ported gun, was with a competition shooter's HK USP chambered in 9X21MM. It had both a comp of some kind, and a Hybrid ported barrel. The gun actually recoiled downward with each shot. The owner told me it would, but I didn't believe him before actually shooting the gun. Can't see how having the muzzle jump downward with each shot would be an advantage in competition?
Old August 21, 2017, 03:53 PM   #12
arquebus357

^^^^^^

It's easier to re-acquire a target while moving a muzzle up than moving it down.
Old August 26, 2017, 03:26 PM   #13
rock185

arquebus, thanks for the info. Never shot a ported gun in competition and did not know that.
Old August 27, 2017, 08:49 AM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post
^^^^^^

It's easier to re-acquire a target while moving a muzzle up than moving it down.
It's also easier on the web between your thumb and first finger from heavy recoiling DA revolvers because of the reduction in "roll". I have a 6" 686 Powerport that is a very pleasant shooting range gun. When I take others to the range to shoot my guns, outta the three 686s I have(a 4", a 5" and the 6" Powerport) the Powerport is the one they pick up first the second time around.