The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 17, 2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Classic12

Fireballs

Who doesn’t like a nice fireball ?! Here are a few of mine

In my experience the best results are achieved with vintage ammo from the 70ies and 80ies (Remington, Norma)

Sig Sauer P229 .357 Sig

Colt Anaconda .44 Mag

S&W 586 .357 Mag

S&W 610 10 mm auto

S&W 29-2 .44 Mag

Winchester 94 trapper 30-30

Old September 17, 2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Classic12

Automag .44 AMP

Colt AR-15 XM177E2 5.56 in full auto

And the biggest one, Sig Stgw 57 commando

That’s all folks

Old September 17, 2020, 12:44 PM   #3
50 shooter

Nice!

One of the best is the desert eagle 50 ae. That thing throws a ring of fire a foot in diameter and 3 feet long.

Crazy to stand next to and watch as someone else shoots it.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 18, 2020, 06:02 AM   #4
Cyanide971

Here’s the biggest (firearms) fireball I’ve had lol. Was a rental at the range my son and I used to shoot at.

Old September 20, 2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Classic12

Shot the LAR Grizzly in .45 Winchester Magnum this morning

Old September 21, 2020, 10:25 AM   #6
raddadmike

Sweet Christmas. Next time I need to char a steak, why don't you head over? And I can only image how hot your barrel gets...
Old September 21, 2020, 12:22 PM   #7
BitterTait

my new RDB gives off a hell of a fireball in spite of a 20 inch barrel, guessing it's because I have the C model and it doesn't have even a basic flash hider. Probably going to keep it that way, there's something about half the scope filling with the yellow flash that makesve smile.
Old September 22, 2020, 11:11 AM   #8
darkgael

Fun to look at.
What I found disturbing in those photos was the bullet holes in the ceiling buffer and along the sides of the shooting lane.
I have the same damage at an indoor range that I care for. There is a serious lack of gun control when you see holes in the wall ten or fifteen feet down a four foot wide shooting lane.
Old September 22, 2020, 04:46 PM   #9
Paul B.

Years back when I first started loading the .308 Win. the powder I used was H335. Worked good, got decent accuracy and the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter did what it was supposed to do.

However, The extremely loud boom of the report and the ball of fire that came out at the shot was awesome to behold. One fine August day, I was out harassing jackrabbits with my hunting partner and he wanted to try my rifle. It was close to noontime, bright sunny day and when he took the shot, the flame was huge. I'd guess the ball of fire was closer to three feet or more across. I always wanted to load a few and run them over the chronograph but lost all my load notes when we moved to Arizona so I have no idea what the load was.
Paul B.
Old September 23, 2020, 03:08 AM   #10
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael View Post
Fun to look at.
What I found disturbing in those photos was the bullet holes in the ceiling buffer and along the sides of the shooting lane.
I have the same damage at an indoor range that I care for. There is a serious lack of gun control when you see holes in the wall ten or fifteen feet down a four foot wide shooting lane.

Yeah about that, this is a commercial shooting range with a gun shop and gun rentals, so a lot of newbies walk in and pay an hourly fee, bring their buddies, girlfriends, uncle and so in and just want to have fun

They do get a safety instruction prior to being allowed on the range, but it does make for a lot of terrible shots in the ceiling, floor, sidewalls etc..

Whereas it can be a nuisance, it allows for the range to make a profit and stay open all year round, and it also brings new people to the sport or hobby of shooting, especially younger ones. And that’s a good thing in these difficult times for gun enthusiasts. If we don’t want this activity to die from lack of participants (in addition to social and political pressure) we have to encourage more people to join rather than discourage them.
Old September 26, 2020, 02:22 AM   #11
Geezerbiker

Way back when I was given a few pounds of military surplus 4831 and I used some of it to load .30-06 rounds. Even the starting loads were compressed and I don't know how I would have gotten more in. Anyway I noticed that I would see an orange flash in the scope when I'd shoot those rounds. One day someone asked me how I got that 3 foot long fireball out of my rifle... I still have a pound or so of that powder but I've never loaded any more '06 rounds with it.

Tony
Old September 26, 2020, 01:37 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Turn the lights on. Reduces the muzzle flash. snicker.
And 1,455px × 828px is too big.