The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2024, 12:23 AM   #1
AL45

After 6 months, still not working.

I bought a new Uberti 1885 .45 Colt back in August. It shot fine, but would only extract the case about 1/4 of the way and then it took a flathead screwdriver against the rim of the case to get it out. A live round chambers easily and extracts easily. My gunsmith sent it off to Taylor and Company. 6 months later they sent the rifle back with a letter that stated they removed a burr in the chamber, polished the chamber, test fired it and it worked fine. I took it out and fired 5 rounds of Winchester ammunition, and none of the fired casees would extract properly, I was able to get a couple out using my fingernails and a lot of force. The other three required a screwdriver against the case rim. My gunsmith said he would try polishing the chamber before sending it back again. Any ideas?
Old February 15, 2024, 04:42 AM   #2
tangolima

Any marks on the fired brass? When it fails to extract, what happens exactly? The lever couldn't move? The extractor let's go of the rim? Does the ammo have warm load?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 15, 2024, 10:25 AM   #3
AL45

Tangolima, there is some scratches on the bottom of the brass. The lever works fine. The extractor pulls it back about 1/4" and then the case is stuck. The ammunition is 255 grain Winchester factory loads. Light loads. I have been reloading for .45 Colt for many years and have loaded mild to Ruger only loads which were ony fired in Ruger hand guns. In the short time I have owned this rifle, it has only seen very light loads. I'm thinking the chamber is too big and the brass is over expanding and not springing back enough. As I stated, a live round literally falls out of the chamber when the barrel is pointed to the sky. This 1885 is a High Wall which is odd for a .45 colt caliber. I'm wondering if a .45-70 reamer was used by accident. But surely when I sent the gun back to Uberti, they could have figured that out.
Old February 15, 2024, 11:20 AM   #4
tangolima

The brass moves by 1/4" and then stops. Does the extractor ever let go of rim when you try harder on the lever?

One possibility is the chamber mouth being smaller than the inside of the chamber. It is caused by over polishing the interior of the chamber, trying to remove a burr for instance.

I would have the gunsmith to do a chamber cast to verify the chamber dimensions.

-TL

Old February 15, 2024, 03:17 PM   #5
AL45

The lever opens all the way with ease and yes the extractor does let loose. Between my gunsmith and Uberti, three different extractors have been tried. The same problem was occurring before and after Uberti polished the chamber and removed the bur.
Old February 15, 2024, 03:27 PM   #6
tangolima

The extractor should not let go of the rim easily. That may require some fitting, not only part swapping. Your gunsmith should be able to do it, or you may need to look for another one.

It is possible that the over polishing was done in factory before it was sent out to retail. QA caught the burr and the rifle was rejected, reworked and passed. A chamber cast will tell. Again your gunsmith should be able to do it, or you need another smith.

-TL

Old February 16, 2024, 03:07 PM   #7
Scorch

Sounds like a jugged chamber, i.e. bigger at the front than it is at the breech. It needs to be measure using bore micrometers. Don't cast the chamber until your gunsmith measures the chamber, the cast will get stuck firmly. Uberti 1885 have issues with the extractors, I made and installed several over the years.
Old February 16, 2024, 03:22 PM   #8
tangolima

A stuck cast can be easily cleared with heat. Cerrosafe or the old school sulphur. Measuring a fired brass may also give some clues.

-TL

Old February 16, 2024, 09:51 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I am going to suggest the barrel threads in the receiver are too tight and are constricting the back end of the chamber. The bore micrometer can tell you.

If the folks deburring and polishing the chamber are pulling the barrel to do it, that releases the construction, so they can't correct it. But I don't see why they would go to the extra trouble. In any event, the trick is to get the dimensions and then have the gunsmith get a reamer that matches the forward-most chamber diameter and run it in with the barrel in the receiver so it trims off the construction. If he has a lathe with a big enough spindle bore to fit the barrel and front sight through, this is a fairly simple setup. With a reamer with a long enough pilot, he may even be able to do it with the reamer on a T-handle.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 8, 2024, 07:55 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Light polishing of the chamber?