The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2024, 01:02 PM   #1
reteach

Sights for Ruger 10/22

I have a new 10/22 backpacker. It's the one that breaks down and came with a Magpul X-22 stock. I just put a red dot sight on it and it's a lot of fun to shoot.

The problem with the red dot is, the original open sights are now completely blocked. There is no backup in case something goes wrong with the red dot.

I have done some searching, but am putting the question out here, hoping some of you have done the same thing and found a solution. What replacement sights are out there that are tall enough to see over the mounting hardware but under the red dot?

Thanks.
Old January 23, 2024, 09:42 PM   #2
rc

I have a set of TSR100 tech sights on one of my 10/22 rifles. My set has the L flip rear and it works well for plinking and as a peep sight trainer for a mini 14. There is another TSR200 sight as an option with dial adjustable rear elevation that you screw up and down to a fixed adjustment. I drilled out the close range aperture on my flip sight for my old eyes and left the long range one small. The front sights have elevation adjustment built in so you don't really need it in the rear to fine tune the close range sights for plinking. Both models have windage in the rear sight. My small aperture is pretty close with high speed ammo at 100 yards which is how it was designed to be. The sights are a pain in the safe because they stick up pretty far but otherwise work well. Tech also has a rear sight option that mounts to a weaver rail so you can mount a red dot in front of it. You may also be able to just get the front sight and an AR type flip up rear as a back up. Hope that helps.

https://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

https://www.tech-sights.com/product/...erture-sights/

https://www.tech-sights.com/product/...extended-post/
Old January 23, 2024, 11:27 PM   #3
reteach

Thank you, RC.

I hadn't thought of putting the rear 'open' sight behind the red dot. That should work just fine.

Just noticed the description says the sights will fit the Ruger .44 carbine. Man, had one of those about 50 years ago. Hadn't thought about it in a long time. Many times I have regretted selling it.
Old January 24, 2024, 09:21 PM   #4
rc

Please post a picture of your set up if you can when you are done and let us know how it works out.
Old January 25, 2024, 11:47 AM   #5
reteach

RC - I'll do that. It's going to be a while, but I'll post it when that time comes. Thanks again for the ideas.
Old January 27, 2024, 12:48 PM   #6
50 shooter

Be sure your stock front site is secure, my fell off! This was on a bone stock 10/22, I mounted a scope on it and noticed the front sight was gone.

Looked down on the ground where I was shooting, luckily it was right there. Regardless of what scope and mount you use, keep an eye on the factory sights.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 27, 2024, 01:01 PM   #7
reteach

50 shooter - Thanks for that heads up. I shot mine a bit with the factory sights before I went looking for the red dot. Everything was up to snuff.
Old January 27, 2024, 01:19 PM   #8
rc

Actually, the tech sight install will require you to remove the old front sight. I believe there are screws on each side to make sure the tech sight doesn't walk out of the dovetail. Make sure to use blue lock tight on everything you don't want backing out. Even a 10/22 rail will get lose over time if you don't lock tight it. Just make sure you have the gun apart and can wipe any lock tight that drips into the receiver before it dries. If it gets into your firing pin channel or trigger housing because you don't heed this advice you won't be happy.
Old January 28, 2024, 11:38 AM   #9
reteach

RC - I have mounted the red dot and used Loctite where appropriate. And I did see on the Tech Sight page that the front sight will replace the original. That's one reason I'm taking things slow. I have only been able to shoot the gun at an indoor range. I'll be getting outside with it soon and can see how I like the red dot in the real world.

The original sights are very good - fiber optic with green in front and red in back - but they seem smaller than the older, traditional 10/22 sights. My ancient eyes don't pick them up as easily as they used to. Heck, after looking at those Tech Sights, I might like those better than the red dot.

I see some experimentation in my future. Science is fun.

Thanks for all the good advice.
Old January 28, 2024, 11:58 PM   #10
jmr40

I've been shooting for 50+ years. Never had a "Quality" optic fail to work. I've had iron sights fail several times. Just spend money on a quality optic and throw the iron sights in the trash.

Winston Churchill
Old January 30, 2024, 07:32 PM   #11
rc

You know, if you can see the original sights over the rail, you can always take the red dot off in a pinch. I've got one 10/22 set up with just a red dot and it works well. As long as your battery is good, no need for the irons.
Old April 21, 2024, 11:47 AM   #12
reteach

I know this is an old thread, but I said I would report back, so here I am three months later to say - I took the advice to just stick with a quality red dot. I had a SIG unit on it, and it worked fine. Been shooting it quite a bit and haven't had any trouble. I really like the idea of the Tech Sights, but I'm going to leave it as is for now, with just the SIG dot.

Dang it, maybe I'll have to buy another 10/22 to put the Tech Sights on.

Thanks again for the suggestions.