The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 8, 2023, 07:46 PM   #1
Barnacle Brad

.338 Lapua Savage Long Range Hunter Parts - Help?

I am having the dickens finding a replacement for the bolt head.

I ordered a part from Midwayusa that was not correct. My fault probably.

The correct part is eluding me though, and I am pretty good at sleuthing out that stuff. (there is a LOT of products that are "out of stock - no back order)

I bought this rifle second hand and started developing loads, but noticed odd primer flow? Inspecting the bolt face I noticed a burr around the firing pin hole. This prompted my search for a replacement bolt head.

That is the backstory in a nut shell.

Questions to the Forum:

1) Is the noted defect a valid reason to replace the part?

2) Could the remedy be as simple as taking a 60 degree chamfer after the burr (sans power attachment)

3) I have to consider an underlying problem that would move material from the firing pin hole - ideas?

I really just want to be launching great big projectiles and not bother with all this "stuff". The obsessive side of me won't sit still though.

Thanks in advance for the wealth of knowledge issuing forth from the collective!

Brad

P.S. Happy to post pics - just have to log on with my phone first
Old December 8, 2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Barnacle Brad

Pics

Bolt face
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231208_174756.jpg (719.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20231208_174745.jpg (723.9 KB, 45 views)
Old December 9, 2023, 03:16 AM   #3
stagpanther

I have the same rifle (one of my favorites, great rifle!) I would measure the depth of the old bolt head from front to back of lug depth--I'm guessing that's the problem of your fit. You might also have a newer style bolt which I believe features a narrower firing pin hole on the bolt head. Once you know those two things, give PTG a call and get one of their magnum bolt heads--the best there is IMO (and it will be made to order).

PS: Might be a good idea to get headspace gauges while you're at it, it's an easy check to do especially before installing the extractor and ejector.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 9, 2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old December 10, 2023, 03:39 PM   #4
stagpanther

Do you have some idea of how many cartridges were fired through the rifle? Can you specify what the actual problem(s) is with the replacement bolt head you bought?
Old December 10, 2023, 04:09 PM   #5
stagpanther

Looks like you might have a raised ring around the firing pin hole, which might be the result of the firing pin bottoming out and striking inside the bolt displacing the metal outward.
Old December 11, 2023, 12:45 PM   #6
Barnacle Brad

I have no clue as to how many rounds may have been run through this rifle. Accuracy is there, so I don't believe it to be 'shot out'.

The 'new part' I purchased from Midway is for 7mm/300 win mag. The bolt face is too small, and the locking lug is .50 deep (mine is .62 deep).

It seemed an easy fix to replace the bolt head, but between the unavailability of OEM parts and having a part custom machined - I guess I will live with the burr.

I can see there is a chamfer inside the FP hole. Material does not appear to be moving, or upset from FP strike.

Thanks for your replies stagpanther. I reckon we can call this one 'solved'. I cleaned up all the parts yesterday, reassembled the bolt and shot a few rounds. Fine as frog hair.
Old December 12, 2023, 05:55 AM   #7
stagpanther

Glad you seem to have solved the problem. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but that ring around the firing pin hole would definitely concern me. The 338 LM is, after all, a very powerful cartridge If it were me I'd get PTG to make the bolt head for me and get the gauges at the same time so you can do the headspace check. Even if there was nothing wrong at all--peace of mind will still be worth it IMO. You might want to say the heck with it and just get a new replacement bolt. Just my less than 2 cents.
Old December 12, 2023, 03:50 PM   #8
Barnacle Brad

Roger that. Perhaps after Christmas and the bloody furnace repairs!

Have great holidays
Old December 12, 2023, 04:51 PM   #9
stagpanther

Understood--good luck with the furnace; and happy holidays to you. Since I have the same rifle I can pass on that 285 gr eldm's driven by H1000 is one sweet combo.
Old December 13, 2023, 06:45 PM   #10
Barnacle Brad

I concur! A small data set I collected Sunday, measured an SD of 8! MV 2612 avg. Peterson brass and Fed 215 primers. Next range trip will be to measure a group at 300.
Fun!
Old December 14, 2023, 03:09 AM   #11
stagpanther

I've always told people the savage LRH 338 LM is an extraordinarily accurate and consistent rifle, very well balanced and compensated, even light weight for such a big cartridge. I think it flies under the radar because people might worry about potential felt recoil; but as I'm sure you already know it's relatively tame, MUCH less than one would expect from its reputation.
Old December 14, 2023, 06:57 AM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
I concur! A small data set I collected Sunday, measured an SD of 8! MV 2612 avg. Peterson brass and Fed 215 primers. Next range trip will be to measure a group at 300.
Fun!
Sounds about right. I got an SD of 5 and ED of 10 and a velocity of 2740 with 87.7 grs.
Old December 15, 2023, 04:40 PM   #13
Barnacle Brad

Sweet! For historical value - my load is 83.9g. H1000, seated at 3.74 (a little long for magazines).

Out of curiosity, have you tried the 270g ELD-X?
Old December 16, 2023, 01:18 AM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
Sweet! For historical value - my load is 83.9g. H1000, seated at 3.74 (a little long for magazines).

Out of curiosity, have you tried the 270g ELD-X?
I've used both the 230 and 270 eld-x's; I used LRT (ran out of H1000) for the 270 eldx and found a nice sweet spot at 93.2 grs. I seat mine to 3.755--as usual work up to ensure safety (and test COL on your particular rifle).

I've had pretty good results with Ramshot magnum that I've found is usually available when other choice 338 LM powders become unobtanium.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 16, 2023 at 01:39 AM.

Tags
.338 lapua magnum , bolt head , firing pin hole burr