The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 3, 2023, 11:00 AM   #1
Rex Rugged

Stock issue with Bergara B-14

I recently bought a Bergara rifle from a gun shop that has recently changed owners due to age. They ad a very good reputation but this is my first time with the new owners. I have always bedded my Savage rifles and have had good luck so far. When I put this new gun in the vise to assess the bedding job I want to do, I felt a little silly that I had not noticed the stock is almost against the barrel on the left side and has a 3/32 - 1/8" gap on the right. The barrel does pass the dollar bill float test easily and this may be nothing more than cosmetics but before I start bedding I was hoping to get opinions about what I should be aware of or any concerns. I have not shot the rifle yet.
Old December 3, 2023, 11:14 AM   #2
jmr40

Bergara does a good job of making their stocks look nice. But at the end of the day it is just a cheap injection molded stock just like everyone else uses on their cheap rifles. They just put a better paint job on it. I've never felt that bedding one of those offered any advantage.

I'd take the action out of the stock and reassemble to make sure it is put together right. That may center the barrel in the stock. If not, I'd remove some stock material on the one side to give it a more generous free float and get it even. Other than that, I'd just shoot it.

Winston Churchill