The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2023, 01:58 PM   #1
jski

Ruger #1 stock too long for wife

My wife has taken over a Ruger #1 chambered in .22 Hornet that I inherited. Gorgeous rifle but the butt stock is way too long for a 5’3” woman.

How best to remedy this?

Best would be 2 stocks, one for my wife and the other, the original factory stock.

I found a butt stock on eBay that appears to fit the bill. Now I need a 1st class gunsmith for the work.

Any suggestions?
Old August 16, 2023, 04:30 PM   #2
MTT TL

If it is going to be your wife's gun, just cut it down to fit. The cost will be free (assuming you have access to a miter saw) and shouldn't take more than an hour to take the butt plate off, cut down and reattach.

If you need two stocks buy the Ebay one.
Old August 16, 2023, 06:46 PM   #3
gwpercle

Keep the factory stock as it is ... buy another shorter stock or one to cut down .
You never know when you will want that original factory stock back on the rifle ...
So keep it factory ... once you start sawing it up ... you have lost a great deal of value in the rifle .
Gary
Old August 16, 2023, 07:02 PM   #4
Pahoo

Options

jski
As others have suggested; Keep the original stock, buy the one on Ebay and if you are up to it, cut it to the determined length of pull. I am not a Smith but the last one I did, was on a shotgun and they are more involved. I have done quite a few and lately, refered to a video, on YouTube. The set-up, takes longer that the cut. Basically you use an electric Miter-saw and a fine tooth blade. If you wish, I can go in and find the exact video, I followed. Don't know how to express this but the area of the cut, shows no marks. ... ..

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 16, 2023, 10:50 PM   #5
tangolima

You are woodworker? The project sounds simple (it is simple) but still you need to what are doing before doing it.

Depending on how much to be shortened, the original butt plate could become oversized. Got to have a plan. Trimming / sanding down the plate to fit may work, or it may look hideous. Putting a recoil pad is another option. You will need to account for the pad's thickness when you cut the stock. Fitting the pad is another set of skill and tools.

The cut. You want to plan ahead to come up with a way to stabilize the stock on the saw. Generally you want to maintain the same angle. The wook chipping out on you is a real concern. There are different woodworking tricks to avoid / minimize it.

I'm not discouraging you. Actually I do encourage you to do it yourself. I just want to get you plan ahead.

"How hard can it be?" I heard that a lot at work, usually uttered casually by managers who don't have to do it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old August 17, 2023, 10:54 AM   #6
Pahoo

Food for thought

Quote:
Fitting the pad is another set of skill and tools.
This is true but not all that difficult, just more time consuming than cutting the stock. I always have to fit and trim whatever pad/plate, is required. You are dealing with a rifle and pretty straight forward. If you are not comfortable doing this project, than by all means don't do it. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 18, 2023, 02:41 PM   #7
Paul B.

I believe that Ruger #1s in .22 Hornet have a certain amount of collector value a bit above the more common cartridge chamberings. Therefore, I go along with acquiring that extra stock and altering it.
Paul B.
Old August 19, 2023, 12:09 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

I thought I had posted earlier.

Determine her length of pull.
Determine the butt pad width.
The above is used to determine where to cut.

Cut the stock on a bandsaw/tablesaw (set up a guide for straightness) to shorten the stock.

Check with machinist square that it is level.

Find the centerline (you can do this with a washer on a string) and mark it on the toe and heel. Attach the buttplate/recoil pad such that is is centered.

Now apply package tape around the stock. This is the heavy, clear plastic tape. Then cover with blue painter's tape.

Take it to a belt sand and carefully sand off the excess. If you touch the blue tape, stop, check the package tape. If it's OK, reapply painter's tape and sand off the excess.

When it is done correctly, there should be no need to refinish the stock.
Old August 20, 2023, 05:37 AM   #9
cptjack

coming from a, wood worker ... get dividers and scribe on both sides of stock to keep the cut square and also follow the factory contour wrap stock with blue tape and scribe on tape scribe deep enough to cut tape. ,peel off cut portion of tape .this is your finish line. cut close to line band saw is best but coping saw will work. finish with belt sander be careful can ruin stock really fastI would use the stationary combo sander with disc sander using the edge of band sander. ,GOOD LUCK
Old August 20, 2023, 01:52 PM   #10
Ricklin

Gary,
I won't be cutting my stock. I'm adding a pad to my SX1 shotgun and it makes me nervous to mess with perfection, the wood is gorgeous. I like the idea of the packing tape, any issues with finish damage? Mine is the high gloss Winchester finish circa 1976 it seems like it is pretty tough. Not a big fan of glossy, but don't want to refinish it.
Old August 21, 2023, 11:39 AM   #11
jski

I went ahead a bought a butt stock off eBay in excellent condition. Unfortunately it is coated with polyurethane. I'm currently stripping this off the stock but I've decided to contact folks who do this for a living to have them finish the job right.
Old August 21, 2023, 11:51 AM   #12
Pahoo

Good call !!

Quote:
I've decided to contact folks who do this for a living to have them finish the job right.
Good choice and keep us posted.
Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2023, 12:32 PM   #13
Ricklin

Well my Mauser trigger install fought me yesterday so did not get to the shotgun, lazy Sunday. Got an email in to Timney on it.
Old August 21, 2023, 02:42 PM   #14
Paul B.

What is the problem with your trigger install? The ones I've done only required a bit of wood removal to make it a drop in.
Paul B.
Old August 21, 2023, 06:28 PM   #15
jski

These are before and after pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3761.jpeg (655.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3762.jpeg (640.0 KB, 22 views)
Old August 21, 2023, 06:52 PM   #16
Pahoo

WOW

Quote:
Unfortunately it is coated with polyurethane. I'm currently stripping this off the stock.
WOW, I''ll say and at least, it is salvagable. Can't wait to see your finished product. This one will put a smile on your wife's face. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 21, 2023, 07:12 PM   #17
jski

There are a few imperfections: some along the edge of the butt (which will be cut away) and one along the border of the checkering.

A picture of the biggest imperfect.
Can you find it in the 2nd picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3765.jpeg (486.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3766.jpeg (321.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by jski; August 21, 2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old August 21, 2023, 07:28 PM   #18
jski

Not bad for $175.
Old August 31, 2023, 04:41 PM   #19
jski

INCREDIBLE!

One TX outfit I contacted wouldn’t even give me a quote until after I had sent them the gun.

The other TX outfit gave me a quote of $880 for cutting the stock to size, putting on a butt pad, and then applying a few layers of oil. No attempt would be made to match the fore end.
Old August 31, 2023, 05:16 PM   #20
ammo.crafter

As others have stated, buy a stock specific for your wife and leave the original as is.

Stock shortening is not as easy as one would think.

Good luck.
Old August 31, 2023, 05:25 PM   #21
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski View Post
INCREDIBLE!

One TX outfit I contacted wouldn’t even give me a quote until after I had sent them the gun.

The other TX outfit gave me a quote of $880 for cutting the stock to size, putting on a butt pad, and then applying a few layers of oil. No attempt would be made to match the fore end.
Get out!!

That's outrageously over charging. They just don't want to do it. I used to charge no more than $100.

Too bad. I don't have my shop anymore, and you are too far away.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 1, 2023, 01:43 PM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

For that kinda money you can have a stock made from a pre-inletted blank.
Old September 1, 2023, 07:00 PM   #23
Ricklin

I can't get my low scope safety to work with the Timney trigger. The release surface on the Timney sear does not match the cocking piece on my FN sport Mauser. I've a ticket in with Timney technical to resolve. And ya new wood for 800 bucks for heavens sake, that's highway robbery.
Old September 1, 2023, 07:26 PM   #24
Pahoo

Your call and not so bad !!???

Quote:
Stock shortening is not as easy as one would think.
I am mechanically inclined with limited training and resources and if I can do it, I think that it's not all that difficult; just a bit, time consuming. I say again; Would you like me to mail you the video that I followed? I have cut off finished stocks. Now, as car as the checkering, it's not out of line and "one" simple checkering tool, from Brownell, will take care of that. The pattern is already there for you. I'm sure that there is a local Smith that can do it for you.

Be Safe !!!