The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2020, 09:02 AM   #1
JLK

Remington 700 stock

Please share any experience with stocks for a Remington 700.
Looking at
Bell and Carlson
Magpul Hunter 700
Hs precision

Thanks
Old March 16, 2020, 01:46 PM   #2
GeauxTide

I have two B&C Left Hand (280 & 7mmRM) and two Magpul Hunter (243 & 308). All shoot 1/2" or better with select handloads. The Hunters are heavier with the full length tin rail and are heavier. The stock design of the B&C (BDL Sporter) makes full load from the 280 and 7Mag comfortable.
Old March 16, 2020, 03:05 PM   #3
KROIL

Thumbs up on the Magpul 700 hunter stock. I dropped a sps tactical 6.5 creedmoor into one. I also went with the bottom "metal " and mags. It is a bit heavier than I would want to hump through the woods ,but is excellent off the bench. The magpul magazines work well. No problems with fit in a Timney trigger. And accuracy IS much better than the Remington stock. I did play around with different torques in the action screws and its good to go. Good design.
Old March 16, 2020, 04:28 PM   #4
jmr40

What are you going to do with it?

Bell and Carlson and HS Precision use the same construction technique and I can see no advantage either way. B&C is almost always a little less expensive, but HS does offer some options not available from B&C. If B&C makes what you want I see no reason to pay extra for HS-Precision.

For a target/tactical type rifle where you're not concerned about weight Magpul is a decent stock. Just personal preference, but I don't like the styling. If you do, and don't mind the weight it is a good stock. I have some friends with them.

On a hunting rifle, none of the above. All are too heavy for my tastes. B&C does offer what they call a lightweight version, but compared to others it is still overweight.

Winston Churchill
Old March 16, 2020, 07:01 PM   #5
old roper

You can get B&C about 2lbs on some models and H&S is pretty close to 3lbs.

Might want to look here

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...ton-700tm.html
NRA Life Member
Old March 17, 2020, 01:56 PM   #6
emcon5

I have a HS stock on my long range rig, and I really like it.

That said, I probably wouldn't buy a HS stock if I was in the market, because I have a long memory.
Old March 18, 2020, 03:26 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
I have a long memory.
Yes, many of us do remember.

When you say you are going to buy a B&C, just know that B&C has many different stocks offered, make sure you get the right one. I am not a huge fan of B&C due to weight. I prefer fiberglass stocks to molded resin stocks.
Old March 18, 2020, 04:59 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm not a long-range shooter. I don't own any of the stocks listed, or even a Remington 700 for that matter. I am, however, going to take just a moment to plug a stockmaker local to me, Choate Machine & Tool. In all candor, I've known the Choates for years, but I'll also tell you that I use their shotgun stocks. And they're some of the nicest people you could hope to meet.
Old March 26, 2020, 01:37 AM   #9
bill460

I've had a H&S Precision mounted on a Remington 700 .458 Win. Mag. for over 20 years now. It replaced the original Walnut that split at the tang after about 100 rounds. It's been flawless. It dropped right in, and was a perfect fit.
Old March 26, 2020, 11:07 PM   #10
moose fat

I just placed an order this afternoon for an H-S Precision stock for a .270 build I'm doing. I was looking at McMillan stocks too. What sold me on H-S was the price and the ability for a left hand stock with a 12.5 inch length of pull and they are open, no closure due to the virus. I was getting the barreled action ready to send off to Shaw Barrels but they're closed, because of the virus.
Old March 30, 2020, 06:11 AM   #11
JLK

I purchased a HS precision, Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but it fit perfectly.
Old March 31, 2020, 01:01 AM   #12
Eight_is_enough

My 700 came with a great stock.

Old April 1, 2020, 04:35 PM   #13
cw308

My benchrest rifle started it's life as Rem.700 LTR in 308 , the stock came with a HS Precision stock . After putting 4000+ rounds through the barrel I had a new match barrel installed , had it completely blue printed and changed the HS Precision LTR stock to the larger HS Precision stock that's on the 700P. I like the stock it's Rock solid. Hope I helped , Be Well stay safe.

Chris