The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 10, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1
wally626

Prescription shooting glasses

Having read at least one thread on TFL about prescription shooting glasses I asked my eye doctor about getting some last appointment and he said no problem just bring your gun to the next appointment Had the exam today, he thought bifocals with distance on top and the bottom set for the front site would work OK. The bi-focal line is set higher than normal so the sites will end up in focus as will the top half of the target. Thus the need for the gun, he essentially set the line with me sighting down the gun and also used the gun to set the bottom half of the prescription.

I decided I needed to get some real safety glasses after the last couple of shooting trips because a few too many cases hit me in the side of the head (indoor range). My normal glasses are really thick, large area, plastic lenses so are probably better than any box store safety glasses as far as stuff coming from the front but do lack side protection.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to give them a try.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Don H

Side safety shields can be purchased to fit non-safety glasses. Google "eyeglass safety side shields".
Old May 10, 2010, 08:55 PM   #3
wally626

Well beside the side protection, I am hoping the new lenses allow me to see the front site and the target. Right now at 50ft, if I focus on the front site the target is a white square that is kinda fuzzy. At 15 or 20 feet I can see the target and the bullseye pretty well when focused on the front site but past that it is just too blurry. Wether I can get the technique of having the site on the bottom half of the lens and the target on the top half work well, I do not know.
Old July 8, 2010, 08:18 PM   #4
rtpzwms

Have you looked at these?
Features
adjustable nose bridge
for a custom fit
8-base wrap frame
interchangeable
polycarbonate lenses
offset nose pads to
prevent fogging
bayonet style temples
optional Rx insert
lifetime solder joint
warranty
made in USA

http://www.randolphusa.com/
Old July 8, 2010, 09:11 PM   #5
jmortimer

He3re is what Evil Roy recommends http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com...s.html#Romer-P
Old July 10, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6
wally626

Finally got the glasses in. They work as intended but the line between near and far is just a bit low. So my head sits back just a little more than natural, but it is much better than my normal glasses. I have no idea how much they cost, my eye doctor has about the most unintelligible billing system I have ever seen. I had more exams this year, bought two pairs of glasses and the total bill was $300 less than last year???

Tags
prescription , safety glasses