The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2023, 11:14 AM   #1
Skans

Forward Assist - Why Everyone NEEDS Them...

"YES" to Forward Assist. Anyone who builds an AR without a forward assist should be shunned from the AR World, and here's why:
- Forward assists looks cool
- Gun haters hate the forward assist - it looks way too "evil".
- Who doesn't want a fidget spinner thingy on their gun for when they get board?
- More buttons = better gun.
- My reloads are rarely sized correctly, the forward assist is an invaluable tool for crappy re-loaders to get the cartridge fully (almost fully) seated in the chamber (handloaders )
- Non-forward assist AR's look "naked".
- Someone needs to make an AR with a dummy forward assist on the left side of the receiver that actually acts as a BCG charging pull.

Blast away! I haven't posted here in some time, so I am eager to hear everyone's thoughts.
Old December 19, 2023, 11:39 AM   #2
9x19

'If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad...'

Sheryl
Old December 19, 2023, 11:59 AM   #3
ballardw

I'll disagree with the "looks cool". I've always thought they looked like what they are: a kludge to fix a problem that should never have existed in the first place.
Old December 19, 2023, 12:04 PM   #4
44caliberkid

I can’t say I haven’t used the forward assist a few times in my M16/AR15 experience. I also like color anodized buttons and controls on my ARs, so it gives me another custom part to dress up my builds. I do favor clean side receivers for blow back, pistol caliber ARs, as the super heavy bolt and spring generally drives every thing home. But no doubt there are forward assist haters out there. As I recall (maybe in error) it was a pencil pusher, bean counter addition to start with.
Old December 19, 2023, 01:07 PM   #5
rickyrick

Sorry about that…

Actually only one rifle does not have the FA, but as a guy that doesn’t roll in the mud anymore, I don’t care if they have them or not.
Some people want them and use them and I’m ok with that too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2023, 01:36 PM   #6
zukiphile

I recall a story about a truck driver in Iraq who was stopped by some bad locals on a way to his delivery. His rifle had enough of the dusty sand in it that it wasn't cycling properly. He had to pound each round into the chamber, waiting for his single shot at each of nine opponents. It clearly served a purpose for him.

I don't prefer them. An ambidextrous CH is easier to access from the right if the FA is absent.

Last edited by zukiphile; December 19, 2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old December 19, 2023, 02:01 PM   #7
stuckinthe60s

if I remember correctly, the first ones didn't have them.
then this thing called monsoon mud came about.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 19, 2023, 02:50 PM   #8
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinthe60s View Post
if I remember correctly, the first ones didn't have them.
then this thing called monsoon mud came about.
and a supposed "don't need to clean the M16" idea plus a change in powder that was dirtier than the original.
Ever seen a Vietnam era training file where LSA (Lubricant Small Arms, the white stuff) was used on the ammo?
Old December 19, 2023, 03:10 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I can live without the FA.
But it has also come in handy a few times, to get the extractor to snap over a cartridge that managed to get stuck in the chamber for some reason.

I don't use it to chamber a round and fire it. If I am using the FA, it is to get the extractor over the rim and get that bad case/cartridge out of there. (Which usually then requires mortaring.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; December 19, 2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old December 19, 2023, 03:28 PM   #10
bamaranger

jam fixer

I can live without it and am not a fan. Many folks see it as the "jam fixer" and the first thing they do is mess with it when they have a failure of some sort. While I can somewhat rationalize the military use of one for a silent chambering and to verify a bolt fully in battery, I have never used the FA on any of my AR's afield. My rifles are clean enough and ammo consistent enough that cycling the bolt and chambering a round works just fine without it.

I've worked with several vets who were trained that the chambering of a round involved tapping the FA to insure the rifle was in battery. You will not convince them that this is an unnecessary step. My MP-15 is sans FA and is fully functional and practical without the "jam fixer".
Old December 19, 2023, 03:37 PM   #11
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw
and a supposed "don't need to clean the M16" idea plus a change in powder that was dirtier than the original.
I remember hearing about the 1960s idea that the M16 was "self cleaning" and wondering how anyone could utter such nonsense.

Then I began using and cleaning one. The degree to which it does scrape clean a lot of the surfaces that need to be clean is impressive. I clean mine regularly, but a lot of that is just wanting it to be clean well before there is any need for it.
Old December 19, 2023, 04:16 PM   #12
tangolima

I want to keep that feature, either in form of FA button or as side charger. The lamest argument against FA is that garand doesn't have one, so it is not needed. Yeah!

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2023, 04:26 PM   #13
rickyrick

As a civilian shooter and not in a life and death battle, a person needs to stop and investigate why the rifle didn’t go into battery before proceeding.
I’m not a fan of the practice of easing a round into the chamber then finishing with the forward assist. I firmly believe that any semiautomatic should be chambered with the full force of the action. It’s just my opinion.
That being said, I am a veteran and I catch myself tapping the FA at times out of old habit. I also sometimes do a press check, but only sometimes.
I’ve also seen videos of exploding ARs where the user had to use the FA repeatedly up until the failure.
Again, as a recreational shooter, if your AR is trying to tell you something, you need to listen.
Old December 19, 2023, 04:28 PM   #14
rickyrick

Quote:
garand doesn't have one, so it is not needed. Yeah
You can kick the crap out of a Garand charging handle haha
Old December 19, 2023, 05:00 PM   #15
labnoti

I'm trying to get one for my Mini 14 but I haven't been able to find one so far. That must be why they're not as popular.
Old December 19, 2023, 05:08 PM   #16
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by labnoti View Post
I'm trying to get one for my Mini 14 but I haven't been able to find one so far. That must be why they're not as popular.
It already has one; the charging handle. Same does the Garand.

-TL

Old December 19, 2023, 08:18 PM   #17
Ignition Override

Ok then, irony or not. For my FALs or my PTR-91 / HK-91 ("G3") clone?

And even my M1A doesn't have one.

https://a.imageshack.us/img43/7537/falk014.jpg

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 19, 2023 at 08:24 PM.
Old December 19, 2023, 08:34 PM   #18
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
Ok then, irony or not. For my FALs or my PTR-91 / HK-91 ("G3") clone?

And even my M1A doesn't have one.

https://a.imageshack.us/img43/7537/falk014.jpg
FAL, G3 and clones indeed don't have one.

M1A does have articulating charging handle, so do M1, AK, etc.

-TL

Old December 19, 2023, 08:35 PM   #19
stagpanther

I've left them off on some builds; have 'em on most but really don't care. The "makes things worse to make things better ratio" is pretty high in my experience when I've actually used them. It's up there on my so-what list along with 9mm vs 45 acp.
Old December 20, 2023, 12:03 AM   #20
Txhillbilly

I use mine almost every time I go hunting with an AR. It's a lot quieter than letting the bcg slam home with the first round in the chamber.
Old December 20, 2023, 01:26 AM   #21
ed308

Yep. Same here for hunting. Ease the bolt down then push the forward assist.
Old December 21, 2023, 09:15 AM   #22
imashooter

No problems with FA. In all my years of military service and civilian stuff, I never once needed it. But I do appreciate it being there if ever needed. It's a quick alternative.
Old December 21, 2023, 11:15 AM   #23
MC 1911

I know a guy that used one once. Assisted a 300bo into a 556 chamber. Pulled the trigger & things got ugly. Luck was with him & just messed up his hand,the rifle wasn't as lucky.

It was a new box of 556 ammo that had a 300 bo round in it & he didn't notice it when loading the mag.
Old December 21, 2023, 11:41 AM   #24
Mongo_Bongo

Saw a film about the M16 in basic in 1968. Official doctrine was that it was self-cleaning. NCO in charge said that it was official doctrine but here is the truth. If you don't clean them in the field, they could jam. If they jam you'll die. I was careful about cleaning and never had an issue with either rifle I was issued. I also hit he FA with a mag change.
Old December 21, 2023, 11:59 AM   #25
tangolima

The FA button doesn't have any mechanical advantage, so it doesn't magnify the force. It is similar to a charge handle attached to the bolt, like the one in side charger. Actually it transfers less forward force on the bcg because of the angle. It is a tool there for user to use. User misuses the tool is not the tool's fault.

You never need to use the tool. It is useless and takes up space. That's fair. Pay a bit more and get a slick side upper. I use it occasionally, so I save a bit of money and keep the feature. No point trying to convince and convert the other.

-TL