The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 15, 2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Sequins

Keltec RDB experiences

Hello friends,

I'm strongly considering picking up a keltec RDB in .556, and I'm curious if anyone here has experience or opinions about the rifle?

I've got plenty of AR-15s, and what interests me most about this rifle is the 20" barrel length while still being 5" shorter than an extended mil spec AR-15 stock OAL. That's a lot more rifle in the same midsized package!

Anyone have any insight into accuracy, reliability, etc?
Old December 2, 2019, 03:46 PM   #2
zukiphile

Did you buy one?

One source of my reluctance is the price. ARs and their prices are so low now. The other source is the Keltec stigma.

I've never owned a Keltec, but I've heard for decades what garbage they are. I handled, but didn't shoot, a rental. I expected the plastic stock to creak and the whole thing to feel as if it would fall apart in my hands. It didn't. Instead it felt solid and had a trigger that wasn't heavy but felt as if it needed a polish.

Three things that bother me are:

1. The screwed together stock in which the pillars into which the screws are turned are aluminum. How could that possibly be durable? And I have to take the halves apart for detailed cleaning?
2. There is a lot going on in that trigger mechanism. If I took it apart, would I ever get it back together?
3. The hammer. It looks like a piece of bent sheet metal with a piece of harder metal riveted on to hit the pin and lend some weight.

3.5 -- I know people love the bottom ejection, but a switchable side port ejection like a FAMAS would allow for clearing of problems.

I'd like whoever did the zytel work for Ruger with the P series pistols to have made the lower with AR style pins. It would probably be a pound heavier, but unbreakable. Since the lower isn't serialized, I suppose someone could.

An RDB with a 1x optic and a YHM Turbo K suppressor seems to have moved into my imagination and won't leave.