The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2024, 02:50 PM   #1
Tool

Handguns with slide fins?

I love HK VP9 primarily for one feature, its slide fins, which make racking the slide so much easier.

I do not see the same thing on other HK handguns. I wonder if any other handguns have this feature?
Old April 21, 2024, 03:58 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The S&W EZ series are set up that way.

There are a couple of companies who make an aftermarket accessory for Glocks that performs the same function.

I believe Ruger makes a few pistols with what they call their "Lite Rack" system which includes a feature kind of like what you see on the VP9.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but some pistols with slide mounted decockers/safeties offer a similar sort of feature in that the safety/decocker levers can help provide a grip when racking the slide. The downside is, of course, the levers may be manipulated during the action, leaving the gun in an uncertain state.
Old April 22, 2024, 08:54 AM   #3
dogtown tom

"Slide fins" aren't needed if you use a better technique to grasp the slide. And by better I mean one where you apply more of your habd to the sllide than one finger and thumb.

IMO, the "Pinch" (using the thumb and side of first finger) to slingshot the slide is not the best way to rack a slide.....and that's the technique that these fins/wings/ears cater to.

For pistols that don't have a slide, like the Ruger Mark I/II/III/IV, the bolt has grasping ears and no slide to grab onto, just the small ears on the bolt.

There are numerous aftermarket devices that can attach to pistol slides and while most are specifically intended for competition shooting I see almost none on pistols intended for carry.

Here's a good video on different techniques for racking the slide. I've watched it about a thousand times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwF7-kcW62M

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 22, 2024, 08:27 PM   #4
Tool

Very interesting. I didn't know that's the correct way of racking a slide.

For those who want to watch the Youtube video, you can skip the first 2 minutes.
Old April 22, 2024, 11:12 PM   #5
bamaranger

terms

OK, since nobody else has said it...........

Fish have fins, auto pistols have cocking serrations.
Old April 22, 2024, 11:15 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

What he's talking about is not cocking serrations, they are protrusions that stick out beyond the normal serrations. I don't know what the correct term for them is.
Old April 22, 2024, 11:23 PM   #7
Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
What he's talking about is not cocking serrations, they are protrusions that stick out beyond the normal serrations. I don't know what the correct term for them is.
Thanks for reading my mind :-)
Old April 23, 2024, 03:22 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
OK, since nobody else has said it...........

Fish have fins, auto pistols have cocking serrations.
I call them scales on the EZ 9.
Old April 23, 2024, 09:43 AM   #9
OPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
HK calls them "charging supports". From their webpage:
Quote:
In addition to these features, all controls are completely ambidextrous including HK’s patented charging supports — simple components that are mounted on each side of the rear of the slide and provide better gripping leverage for racking the slide rearward. The charging supports speed reloading and make operating the VP9 easier for shooters with reduced hand strength.
It's amusing to me that HK claims to add the feature for shooters with reduced hand strength (among other reasons) and then stick in a pretty stiff recoil spring (some HKPro forum members believe VP9s are using a .40S&W spring).

On the S&W EZ, the feature is less pronounced and monolithic/machined/formed into the slide but quite effective in reducing the grip force needed to manipulate the slide. Of course this is in combination with the rest of the EZ design (springs and fitment).

Edit:
Also ran across this discussion/demo by Tactical Hyve of various racking techniques used in competition. The pros & cons he mentions are not exhaustive, but I think he does make some good points - especially the one about making sure to practice.
How to Rack Your Pistol Slide - Different Methods Discussed

Last edited by OPC; April 23, 2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old April 23, 2024, 04:53 PM   #10
Tool

Bingo. Finally, we know the official name of this thing.
Old April 24, 2024, 07:34 PM   #11
bamaranger

OK

Alright....oversized cocking serrations.
Old April 24, 2024, 10:05 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

Or slide rackers for slides like Canik that come with a threaded hole
Old April 25, 2024, 02:36 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I am familiar with the term "ears" not certain what you mean by "fins".

We can run a multi page thread about the "best" way to work the action of a semi auto pistol. What works for some guns is not possible with some others.

I have a couple of semi autos where the only way to operate them is to use the ears. And some others that you use the toggle knobs. Different designs require different methods for best efficiency.