The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1
jambrdly

45 acp for 1911

hello: - I have been thinking of getting a compact 1911 for concealed carry. I was talking to a reloader today who told me that 45 acp was difficult to reload for the 1911 because the cartridge headspaces on the rim. He also said that overall length was hyper-critical for the 1911. Is any of this true? is the 45 acp/1911 combo troublesome to reload?
Old August 19, 2010, 07:05 PM   #2
nate45

I don't find it difficult.

However, correct OAL is important to proper chambering and feeding of the .45 ACP.

The .45 ACP head spaces on the case mouth, not the rim. So over crimping is a problem and to little crimp can lead to feeding difficulties. This is solved by using a taper crimp die, or a Lee FCD (factory crimp die). I like the Lee for finishing up semi-auto pistol cartridges.
Old August 19, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
dmazur

.45 ACP is an easy, forgiving cartridge to reload. That is, the case is large enough to handle easily, typical pressures are low, and case volume/setback isn't as critical as it can be in other calibers.

However, if you have a "fussy" 1911, you can have to make sure bullet profile and COL are correct for that gun if you want to avoid feed problems. I have an Officer's Model and it is more particular about ammo than the Commanders.

I understand this is due to the shorter slide and stiffer recoil spring...the timing just isn't as forgiving as JMB's original 5" design.

I also understand almost all semiauto pistols headspace on the case mouth.
Old August 19, 2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Slamfire

I played around with OAL and finally decided on the values for the ammunition used below. Ammunition made to these dimensions has functioned in the following barrels: Colt, Kimber, Wilson match, Les Baer, Kart.

I decided to just use 230 LRN bullets . These are the most reliable in feed and they shoot just fine, even out to 50 yards.

I blow out the lead with GI 230 FMJ's. I measured a bunch of loaded GI ammo and used the dimensions listed below.

I posted data for the LFN, this was a truncated cone bullet. I saw no advantage in using them and don't plan to use them anymore. Unless I get them real cheap.

I have shot lots of H&G 68 type 200 gr LSWC's, but I would have to measure a cartridge to determine its OAL.

The 200 LSWC are wonderfully accurate but like I said, the LRN is the most reliable in feed.

They shoot so well in my Les Baer wadcutter I may buy more. Maybe not.

Code:
Kimber Custom Classic 			

230 FMJ (GI)  5.5 grs W231 Mixed Brass WLP			
18-Mar-07	T = 62 °F		OAL 1.265"	taper crimp .469"
Ave Vel =	780.5				
Std Dev =	14.17		 	 	 
ES =	51.66				
High = 	798.7				
Low =	747				 
N =	23				 
	point aim accurate			

230 Lead Flat Nose Bull-X 4.0 grs Bullseye Mixed Brass WLP		
8-Jan-06	T = 61 °F		OAL 1.20"	taper crimp .469"
Ave Vel =	715.9				
Std Dev =	11.45			
ES =	48.32		 		
High = 	742.9		 		
Low =	694.8				
N =	32

230 gr LRN 4.5 grs Bullseye Mixed Brass WLP		
21-Jun-06	T = 97  °F		OAL 1.250"	taper crimp .469"
Ave Vel =			805.2		
Std Dev =			11.4		
ES =			54.08	
High = 			836.9		 
Low =			782.8		 
N =			32	
Old August 19, 2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Nomadicone

IMO 45 ACP is one of the easiest rounds to load. It helps if all the cases are same length as the case does head space off the mouth but then so do most semi-auto rounds.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:15 PM   #6
totaldla

The 45acp is probably the easiest pistol cartridge I reload. The modern 1911 is not picky about ammo. I personally believe the Kimber SS Pro-Carry to be one of the very best as it is light enough to enjoy carrying and long enough to enjoy shooting.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:44 PM   #7
noylj

Reloading the .45ACP

If I wanted to teach someone how to reload, I would start with the .45ACP. It is the easiest of all cartridges to reload.
1) It head-spaces on the case mouth, just like every other auto-pistol cartridge.
2) It is not a tapered case, like the 9x19, which is a relatively difficult cartridge to reload for compared to the .45.
3) In a good 1911, COL is not that critical; though, as a reloader, you are always better off with the longest COL that fits the magazine and feeds and chambers in your gun.
4) Pressures are low, so you won't blow a case if exceed the max by a small amount
5) There is never any need to trim the case and the case will get lost before it ever wears out
6) Almost any handgun/shotgun powder will work fine, except for the very slow powders.
7) Who was the imbecile telling you this and what snake oil was he trying to sell?
Old August 19, 2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Blue Grass

I reload and shoot 1,000's of 200gr lswc's in my Kimber Custom Defender II. Had one failure to feed (A-Merc case). It's hard to make a bad .45ACP load. It's an easy, forgiving round to reload.
Old August 20, 2010, 12:43 AM   #9
JR_Roosa

Quote:
I would start with the .45ACP. It is the easiest of all cartridges to reload.
Well...I would say that .38 special is even easier. It has all of the above and:

8. Headspaces on the rim, so who cares how long the cases are.

9. Unless you have a tricked-out .38 special autoloader you never have to worry about feeding unless you screw up so badly they won't fit in the revolver.

10. It is nearly impossible to lose brass unless you leave the bag of empties at the range. Shoot them until they split.

I actually have a trained monkey in the workshop to load all of my .38 special.

But, yeah, anybody who says .45acp is hard to reload probably should just buy their ammo at the store.

-J.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:57 AM   #10
demigod

I would avoid any advice from the goober who told you 45acp was hard to load.
Old August 20, 2010, 10:09 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I've seen it estimated before that 50% or more .45 ACP's are actually headspacing on their extractor hooks due to tolerance accumulation. I load lead, mostly, so I seat them out to headspace on the bullet, which improves accuracy, reduces leading, and makes the fact the cases gradually get shorter over numerous reloading cycles a matter of no concern.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 20, 2010, 06:56 PM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
so I seat them out to headspace on the bullet
I followed that advice, maybe 20 years ago. Seated the bullets out so that the base was perfectly in line with the hood. Worked great in that M1911.

Got another barrel and guess what, now that ammo was too long. The occasional bullet would get jammed in the throat, just enough that the slide would not go into battery and I could not shoot the thing out. As it was jammed hard into the throat, it was very difficult to get the thing out of the chamber.

I said phooey to that and loaded my bullets deeper. Now nothing jams in the throat of any of my M1911's.

I have had leading in the throat, but I shoot it out with jacketed. I consider 100% function a good trade off for some bothersome leading (and I don't know the exact cause ) that later I shoot out with jacketed bullets.

I figure my cases headspace on the rim. As long as they go bang, shoot straight, I am happy.

As for accuracy, I don't shoot my M1911's out of a ransom rest, so I cannot hold well enough to know if seating to the throat would improve accuracy.

This is 32 rounds of my 230 LRN shot offhand at 25 yards from my Les Baer Wadcutter. I am happy with the accuracy of my loads.

Old August 21, 2010, 01:33 PM   #13
transtech

What kind of knucklehead would say that the 45ACP is difficult to reload for a 1911? The "ACP" stands for "Automatic Colt Pistol" which is what JM Browning called his 1911 design, the cartridge & the gun were developed simultaneously to be married to each other in perpetuity. There are enough published reloading data & tips & techniques for reloading this cartridge for this gun starting on this forum & widespread throughout the internet both on other forums as well & websites dedicated to the 1911 & the cartridge so that no problem should be too difficult to diagnose, correct & cure with just a little bit of research & a post or 2. What an imbecile: "Don't load the 45ACP for a 1911." HUH??????????