The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 27, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
CARGUY2244

best competition semi auto

I am buying a new semi auto for my 19 yr old son. He currently competes with a Glock 17L. What's the most effective competition pistol I can buy him? He wins consistently in local pin and steel matches, and will likely be getting into ipsc or uspsa.
Thanks.
Old September 27, 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
zoomie

Which division?
Old September 27, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Jim Watson

How much are you ready to sink into his game?
The easy way out would be a Glock 34 to shoot in USPSA Production Division or a 35 to shoot in Limited or Limited-10. It would be completely common in handling and shooting with his 17L .

He could shoot the 17L in Limited but would be at something of a disadvantage to Major caliber and higher capacity guns. But I always recommend starting out with something you already own if it is at all suitable.

After that, the sky is the limit. Hard to beat an STI Edge .40 for Limited unless he wants an Open gun with compensator, optical sight, and huge magazine.

By the way, USPSA is the United States Region of IPSC, but with our own rulebook. Although the colloquial general term is IPSC, you will seldom find a real IPSC match in the USA, it is almost all USPSA.
www.uspsa.org
Old September 27, 2009, 10:43 PM   #4
CZfan

Just shoot USPSA production divison with your Glock.
Old September 28, 2009, 07:48 PM   #5
CARGUY2244

competiton semi auto

Which division?
I can't answer. He knows a lot more about this than I do. I'm certain he intends to compete with whatever weapon is available to him.
How much am I prepared to invest?
I'm flexible. I priced the new STI .40 high cap, at just under $3000, plus the cost of modifications and optics. I'm okay there, though I can't see going a whole lot higher. I want to get him a gun that'll place him at a level playing field with the competition, but don't want to spend money just for the hell of it.
Thanks.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:01 PM   #6
RickB

The Glock 34 or 35 will put him on the same equipment level as the National Champion.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Field

yeah why dont you just NOT get a hella fancy expensive STI 1911 with OPTIKZ and go for a glock 19, M&P or XD and just have him shoot production...? lots cheaper and level playing field.

or just get a slightly less hella expensive 1911 and shoot single stack.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
CARGUY2244

competition semi auto

can he compete with the 17L in the same division as the 34, or does the barrel length preclude that option?
Old September 29, 2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Jim Watson

The 17L is too long to fit The Box to enter Production where the 34 shines.
He can shoot it in Limited or Limited-10 to get started although he will take a bit of a hit on Minor scoring. I think the familiar gun will be more of an advantage in a new game than the loss in points.

You can upgrade him for whatever Division seems of most interest after he has learned the ropes. That is a hard decision to make for somebody else, all the divisions are hotly contested and which to set up for is more a matter of interest and enthusiasm than picking the "right" gun of all available.
Old September 29, 2009, 09:19 AM   #10
lmccrock

You can always get a mag extension for the 17L to get the capacity up to 22-23 rounds for Limited, and that is about 2 more than the 40 shooters. Not a big help, but may save a reload on some stages. That will buy some time before investing in the expensive gear.

Quote:
I'm flexible. I priced the new STI .40 high cap, at just under $3000, plus the cost of modifications and optics
Optics on a 40 is a competitive disadvantage; that means Open Division where 9mm/.38 rules and a 40 does not have the capacity. An STI Edge with mags and holster and mag carriers should be close to $3k. There are used guns for sale at the uspsa site and the classifieds at the Brian Enos Forums.

Not sure where you are, but I recommend him trying some different guns before shelling out the cash.

Lee
Old October 4, 2009, 10:43 AM   #11
robertbank

CZ SP-01 Shadow rules IPSC these days with Adam Tyc the World Champion using one. Gun is probably out of the box the best buy in competitive pistols out there right now. Replace the recoil spring with a lighter one as you will be shooting light loads for IPSC/USPSA and go to the 13# mainspring and you really won't have to do anything else but go shoot it.

Take Care

Bob