The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1
308Gunner

Marlin Camp 9 Cleaning & Questions

I recently got myself a Marlin Camp 9. Dirty as [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], but seems to be in OK condition otherwise. I've got a handful of questions/issues with it;

1.) How do you clean the barrel without coming down from the muzzle end? And if it has to be cleaned from the muzzle end, is there some way to help with it so I don't completely screw it up when having to clean it. I've had it beaten into my head never to clean from the muzzle end.

2.) The crown definitely has seen a lot of wear; whether from shooting or muzzle-end cleaning. Is it worth it to entertain the idea of having it re-crowned. Mind you I haven't shot it yet, so no idea how the accuracy of it is.

3.) There's a handful of marks down in the barrel; about 1/4 of the way down from the muzzle end. I'm guessing previous owner(s) hit it with the end of a cleaning rod. Once again, haven't shot it yet to really know how it's handling yet, but are those going to cause issues?

I'm already planning on replacing the recoil buffer and guiderod/spring. The buffer wouldn't even come out in one piece; it was completely rotted through. It needs a re-bluing, and probably a complete takedown cleaning. May have to take it somewhere for that; I've read the trigger assembly is a pain in the ass to reassemble with the right tools, but it is filthy.

— George Mason
Old March 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
DMK

I used to have one of those. You have to clean it from the muzzle, unless you are using a Bore-snake. To protect the crown, use a bore guide. My Dewy handgun rod came with one that I can also use on my rifle rod.

Basically, it is very similar in design to the Marlin Model 60, except for the caliber and the magazine.

It's a blowback action, so they do get dirty.

Try shooting it before messing with the crown. Mine was very accurate (although I only used the open sights, shot to no further than 50y)
Old March 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #3
SHR970

Be careful of the solvents you use. The trigger housing is ABS plastic and doesn't get along with certain solvents. Acetone is a big NO-NO.

Resist the urge to take apart the trigger mechanism for a thorough cleaning unless you want the gods of the firearms world to test your patience. If you take it apart you will need four hands and five slave pins to get it back together again.