The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Kahr 9 in new Jodie Foster movie

Watched Jodie Foster in "the Brave one" last night on DVD.
She uses a Kahr K9 in stainless in the movie.
Nice looking pistol.
Wished I liked DAO better!
Old February 13, 2008, 08:46 PM   #2
PSP

Is it one of those recoiless, snap-shot to the heart pistols?
Old February 13, 2008, 09:16 PM   #3
BigDaddy

Hehe, not really, they did a pretty good job depicting the pistol. I believe she shot 4 times at the first bad guy an hit him once at a distance of maybe 5 ft.
A good flik.

cheers,
--Dave
Old February 13, 2008, 09:18 PM   #4
tplumeri

Who's Jodie Foster?
Wait , wasnt she that funny looking kid in "the Sting?
No, it was something about a moon with some "Ryan" costar, right?
Cabdriver?
Old February 13, 2008, 09:24 PM   #5
rem870hunter

the first guy she shot it took 2 or 3 to hit him once. after that she got better. good movie though. i liked kevin bacon in " death sentence" that was another good movie.
Old February 13, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6
warrior poet

"Death Sentence" is pretty good. I liked it.
Old February 13, 2008, 11:17 PM   #7
XD45Sooner

LOL death sentence was awesome, Kevin Bacon kicked some ass with his assortment of guns in that one.
Old February 14, 2008, 07:18 AM   #8
DMK

Samuel L. Jackson also used a Khar in the movie "Shaft".

I like to see unusual guns in movies. It's boring to see Beretta 92s, 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, or HKs in every movie.
Old February 14, 2008, 10:29 AM   #9
warrior poet

I know. I'm STILL waiting for a Lemat in Doc Holliday's hands in ANY movie with him in it...
Old February 14, 2008, 07:15 PM   #10
MrAnteater

Jodie Foster has made it onto my Hollywood "banned" list. I won't watch anything with her in it out of principle. I'm sick and tired of Hollywood types trashing gun owners and our rights only to see them using guns in their movies and stuffing their pockets with millions of dollars. She has been very outspoken against guns in the past and I won't give a dime toward any of her projects.
Old February 14, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
the first guy she shot it took 2 or 3 to hit him once. after that she got better. good movie though. i liked kevin bacon in " death sentence" that was another good movie.
LOL, those were the 2 movies I rented last saturday. Both were pretty good.
Old February 14, 2008, 10:06 PM   #12
Taurus_9mm

Quote:
Jodie Foster has made it onto my Hollywood "banned" list. I won't watch anything with her in it out of principle. I'm sick and tired of Hollywood types trashing gun owners and our rights only to see them using guns in their movies and stuffing their pockets with millions of dollars. She has been very outspoken against guns in the past and I won't give a dime toward any of her projects.
+1

She won't be getting any of my money either.
Old February 14, 2008, 10:22 PM   #13
Glock-19

"Jodie Foster has made it onto my Hollywood "banned" list. I won't watch anything with her in it out of principle. I'm sick and tired of Hollywood types trashing gun owners and our rights only to see them using guns in their movies and stuffing their pockets with millions of dollars. She has been very outspoken against guns in the past and I won't give a dime toward any of her projects."

+1:barf:
Old February 14, 2008, 10:44 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

GOOD LUCK!

You're not going to be watch many hollywood movies I guess, because most of them are against guns.
Michael douglas, George Klooney, the list goes on!
Old February 14, 2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Driveout02

I learned long ago that if I boycotted every movie with some Hollywood lib in it, I'd never see a good film. I loved the Departed, and it was awash with anti-gunners. But it was a good film. So was Crash, and Mystic River, and Munich (the list goes on). Matt Damon, and George Clooney, Sean Penn, and Sandra Bullock, Tim Robbins, and Leonardo Dicaprio aren't going to convince me not to appreciate my second amendment rights, but they do make darn good movies.

~Jake.

Last edited by Driveout02; February 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: except for maybe Sandra Bullock
Old February 15, 2008, 09:48 AM   #16
IRock

Quote:
Who's Jodie Foster?
Wait , wasnt she that funny looking kid in "the Sting?
She's a carpet muncher and been in many movies.
Old February 15, 2008, 03:00 PM   #17
MrAnteater

I realize most Hollywood types are anti gun. I still watch most popular movies but I do make a point to avoid the really outspoken anti-gunners like Jodie Foster. Their level of hypocrisy is amazing. I would actually have a bit of respect for her if she was an anti and never used a firearm in her movies. But the fact she uses them to stuff money in her pockets makes me sick.
Old February 15, 2008, 03:28 PM   #18
Musketeer

I don't care if my plumber opposes hunting, my tax preparer is in favor of Affirmative Action or the actor I choose to pay to amuse me is anti gun. If I consider them good enough at their profession I pay them to fulfill it for my needs and desires. Reportedly DaVinci had a thing for young boys but that does not make any of his art work any less grand.

As for Ms. Foster's view on firearms:
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20054140,00.html
Quote:
What do you think is the larger social commentary of The Brave One, which in some ways plays as a straight-up Dirty Harry revenge movie?

Here's my (Jodie Foster) commentary: I don't believe that any gun should be in the hand of a thinking, feeling, breathing human being. Americans are by nature filled with rage-slash-fear. And guns are a huge part of our culture. I know I'm crazy because I'm only supposed to say that in Europe. But violence corrupts absolutely. By the end of this, her transformation is complete. ''F--- all of you, now I'm just going to kill people with my bare hands.''
So she is a moron. That's alright though because many people are morons. At least she is the type of moron who is not out their campaigning her stupidity. She did a movie because she saw a challenging role. A reporter asked her opinion on a subject related to the movie and she gave it. That is a far cry from the activities of a Rosie O'Donnel.

Right or Wrong on guns Ms. Foster is a great actress so I will pay her to entertain me.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 15, 2008, 09:19 PM   #19
bigghoss

it's funny how someone who's never held a gun before can be a horrible shot the first time and a marksman the second...
Old February 16, 2008, 10:09 AM   #20
Dean407

I rented it. It's fairly boring IMO.

It's also anti gun. Essentially, the film is imparting that a perfectly rational person will be turned into a killer when they get a gun.

I am pretty sure the 'hero' in another movie I rented carried a Kahr...Gone Baby Gone

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452623/

Dean
Old February 21, 2008, 06:47 AM   #21
BlueDragon

Personally I liked the film, then again i like just about anything that comes out in the movies XD Especially the new movie "American Gangster" starring Danzel Washington.

I also like the movie Death Sentence, so much I went out and bought a copy of that one.
Old February 21, 2008, 09:25 PM   #22
cajunrph

+5 on not watching movies. I for the most part avoid movies all together. Too many bleeding heart liberals who can't shut their mouths and perform their jobs without trying to force their views on everyone else. And if you don't share their views you are an idiot. I am a small business owner and I always keep politics out of the store. If I go out of my way to make someone feel like a fool just because they think differently from me on something, then I should expect that person to stop using my services. But the Hollywood yahoos think differently. They should be able to say what they want and we still need to keep paying their salary by going to see their movies. Well not me, I'll just watch the LSU football games I have TiVoed. Way more entertaining to me and they are undefeated on my TV
Old February 21, 2008, 09:37 PM   #23
higgy1911

Yeah, that was a Kahr in Gone Baby Gone. Which was a way better film than The Brave One.
Death Sentence was good just like Death Wish was good. not exacly Oscar material but very entertaining.

funny thing about Kahrs in films. Sometimes you see the actor with a Kahr, then in shooting scenes it is a Glock that has been painted silver. I have no idea what thats about. more shots maybe, or maybe blanks, but it begs the question why not just use a Glock.

This happens in the film 15 Minutes, where Edward Burns takes a Kahr to a press conference then when he shoots it, its a Glock painted silver and the handle painted brown(The Lahr he had had wood stocks).
This also happens in Shaft, several times, but for sure in the last shootout with the bad guy.

wiered eh?
Old February 21, 2008, 09:50 PM   #24
BlueDragon

That is weird.... maybe they couldn't get the kahr to feed blanks?
or maybe they dont like the size of the gun on screen during shooting? idk.
I noticed in the brave one, all the scenes featured a kahr being used.
haha did anyone notice on kahr's website they actually have a list of movies that have their guns in it
Old February 21, 2008, 10:24 PM   #25
PSP

I believe the prop guns in movies use a gizmo that "shoots" five or six times and only serves to give the effect of the flash. Sound is added later of course. There is no recoil. Few movies utilize blanks as they are much more dangerous.