The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
JMF0486

Redfield??

Was wondering if any of you own or have used any of their current products. Scopes, Binos, Range Finders, or Spotting Scopes. I own a 3x9 4-plex scope which i really like. but its the only scope ive ever used to i really have nothing compared to it. Just want to know some of your thoughts about the company as of current. Yes i do know that leupold owns them now too. Thanks in advance.

JMF
Old December 27, 2010, 04:04 AM   #2
bamaranger

redfields

Current Redfields are being made by Leupold. I have read nothing but good press on them. circa 2009/10

The "redfield" name has been around the block a bit. Import Redfields are typical in quality of the other garden variety Chinese/Japanese economy scopes.
circa 1990 or so.

Finally, there are vintage, made in USA redfields, which have a loyal following, and can be rebuilt and serviced by the "Ironsight Inc" people. circa 1970-80 or so.
Old December 27, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3
shanzlik

I have a Redfield 4-12x40 and it's good glass for the price but could use a bit more eye relief. It's glass isn't quite as good as the Leupold Mark AR. Build quality seems good and the matte finish is nice.

The reticle is sharp and the adjustments track well and hold. Mine is on a Marlin XL7 .270, and the combo makes a nice hunting rifle. I have the Accurange version.

Old December 27, 2010, 07:31 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

I got one awhile back.... have it mounted on a Browning BBR 300 win Mag... it seems good.,,,nothing spectacular I didnt think....Hoping with whos makin them now that it will hold true with the recoil of what I have it mounted on.
Old December 27, 2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Alden

I have two scopes, a 2-7X 33mm and a 20-60X 60mm spotting scope. They are about the best you can get, in that price range.

They are decent glass, not quite Nikon Monarch or Leopold or Swarovksi, but for the average Joe they are a cut about something like a Bushnell Banner, in my opinion.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
chiefr

Bought one several months ago. 4-12X. I too like the matte finish. The glass is great. I considered it a bargain for the price. Hopefully Redfield will come out with different models in the future. Brings me back to the old days when I saw many a Redfield at the range. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Mustangpalmer91

I have 2 new Redfields one on my Remington 798 .308 and one on my AR they are GREAT scopes for the price and have the Leopold life time warranty.