The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 20, 2023, 06:51 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

fix a burr on a firing pin hole

Trying to figure the best way to fix a burr on a firing pin hole. its a Palmetto GF5 series AK. I had a double the other day. It does have a LIGHT alg trigger with a touch of trigger slap so I was unsure if I accidentally bump fired it, or had a slam fire.

Went to the range today and chambered 1 round by hand, pulled the bolt back, let it go. Ejected it checked the primer. Very light dimple. Nothing I am concerned with.

Fired 1 round let the rifle chamber the next, then ejected that round to inspect. Noticed a large ring in the primer. Nothing overly severe, but it should not be there. looked at the bolt and it definitely has a burr around the firing pin hole.

Was debating on how to remove it. I was thinking of getting a small gunsmithing stone and putting the end in to polish it flush.

Any other suggestions? I think anything power tool or high speed like a dremill is probably a bad idea, although some sort of bit by hand might work ok. just trying to figure out how to remove the burr and make it flush.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg primers.jpg (182.6 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 20230420_200917.jpg (221.7 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 20, 2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old April 20, 2023, 06:54 PM   #2
tangolima

Picture of bolt face?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 20, 2023, 07:14 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Picture of bolt face?

-TL

Added, sorry it took me a min had just got home and ate dinner before I started tearing things apart to clean.
Old April 20, 2023, 09:05 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Why not flatten it with a small hammer or punch?
That way, you're putting the displaced metal back in place, rather than removing it.
Old April 20, 2023, 09:06 PM   #5
tangolima

I am not an AK person, so I just do what I can. It is just what I would do if I were you.

Looks like the bolt face has a 2 piece design. An insert, possibly screwed on, has firing pin hole on it. The rifle's headspace probably isn't determined by this insert, but rather by the steel outside of it. The firing pin may be slightly under sized, and the moment of the firing pin has raised the burr.

I don't think the burr will cause much of an ill effect. But I would enlarge the hole very slightly to make its diameter 0.001" larger than the pin. It will remove some of the burr. Polishing the burr away with cotton bob loaded with polish compound is acceptable. But avoid creating a void there and do NOT chamfer the hole. The primer needs to be fully supported.

The insert is an usual method to fix oversized firing pin hole in old guns. The original hole is drilled out, and tapped. An insert is make with matching screw bolt. After installing the insert, a new hole is drilled. I just didn't expect to see that in a relatively new gun.

-TL

Old April 21, 2023, 08:16 AM   #6
stagpanther

I have a PSA AK--their bolts are not what I would call the strong suit of their rifles--but it is what it is. the extractor claw on mine snapped--being obviously made of some kind of cast metal.

My advice is before you do any kind of "corrective surgery" is to disassemble, clean and reassemble the bolt. This in itself is a pretty tricky procedure so study some university of Utube videos first would be my advice.

I can't really tell anything conclusive from your pics (nor can anyone else IMO) but my guess is that there might be an alignment issue with the bolt in the carrier--the damage in the slot looks odd to me. The firing pin has a notch in it which is "timed" by a cross pin in the bolt, it's possible that a bend in either pin could be affecting the operation of the firing pin, which is why I personally would get it out and examine it first before doing any grinding/hammering or other forms of demolition. As always, just my guesses.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 21, 2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old April 21, 2023, 10:45 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The gun has apparently been dry-fired excessively- peening the bolt face outward.
Peen it back in.
Old April 21, 2023, 11:41 AM   #8
Shadow9mm

Not a bad plan.

I contacted psa to see what they say as well. I got the gun used from a co-worker. Knowing him well it was a safe queen abd he only put 60rnds through the gun and maybedry fired it 10 times while he had it. I have may have another 60-90 rnds on the gun myself, and have not dry fired it more than maybe 10-15 times. Dry fire makes sense, bur i dont see how/where.
Old April 21, 2023, 11:48 AM   #9
stagpanther

Here are pictures of my heavily-used PSA AK bolt. Notice how the extractor sits higher than your's and the timing of the cross pin. Might be something to check.

When I took my bolt apart I bought all new components (except the bolt body itself) from a high-quality imported AK parts dealer (which, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of off the top of my head but I'd look for Hungarian/Romanian origin).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8961.jpg (494.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8959.jpg (118.1 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; April 21, 2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old April 25, 2023, 04:42 AM   #10
stagpanther

So Shadow--how did this resolve? I'm very curious.
Old April 25, 2023, 10:29 AM   #11
Shadow9mm

Heard back from palmetto in 1 buisness day on my web firm submission. Said based on my warranty claim they were going to have a repair technician further diagnose and troubleshoot and i should hear back within 5 buisness days, which will be friday.
Old April 25, 2023, 12:55 PM   #12
stagpanther

Sounds good.
Old April 27, 2023, 04:50 PM   #13
Shadow9mm

Palmetto responded today. Sent me a shipping label and rma slip to send it in for repairs.
Old April 27, 2023, 05:28 PM   #14
stagpanther

PSA used to firewall their repair techs from CS--in other words you might never know what the issue was. I hope that is no longer the case. I like to learn things.