The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 20, 2017, 12:52 AM   #1
Sr1200

SBR and Suppressor.. I'm completely confused

So, some of you might figure out who I am. Maybe I posted here about 10 years ago. Art certainly knows me.

So, after about a million bumps in the road, I'm getting back into rifles and such.. a nice feeling! I've been wanting to purchase (not really build) a .300 Whisper (now more commonly a .300 AAC as I have read) with a short barrel and a suppressor.

I've been out of this game too long, and don't remember a THING about what goes first. I'm still overseas, but I think I could get some of this moving without having to be Stateside.

So, it SEEMS the lower (AR-15 platform) has to be registered for an SBR. Can I use just any 'ol lower? Or, do I need to purchase an "SBR" lower from a special dealer/manufacturer? When I do that, do they hold it for me until my tax stamp is received?

What about the upper, that's the actual "icky" part anyway... when do I purchase and receive it?

And finally, that dadgum suppressor, same questions... purchase first (I think I need S/Ns for everything) and then the dealer holds it for me?

Cornfused.

Hint:
I'm Steve. And somebody stole my Les Baer.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:23 AM   #2
marine6680

If you buy a complete rifle, they hold it until the papers clear.

If you build, you can register any blank lower as a SBR, but you can not build that lower into the SBR until the papers clear.

I don't know about having the upper or barrel on hand prior to the papers clearing. With constructive intent being a thing, but if you have other lowers on hand, it can be claimed you are making a pistol with the other lower... Its usually a problem if the combination of parts you have on hand can only be put together into an SBR and no combination of on hand parts can be made into a non regulated configuration.

Most people build it as a pistol, then convert it to a rifle after the paper clears... this solves the issue.

Any controlled item must be held until the papers are cleared, so a suppressor will have to stay at the store until then.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Destructo6

Yep, you can use any ol' lower. You might want to pick a nice one, since that will be the registered part.

File the ATF Form 1 and wait. Current wait times are 9 months to a year, so do this ASAP.

Working with your suppressor dealer, select and buy that, then file the Form 4 and wait. Similar wait times. The dealer will hold the suppressor until the stamp comes back.

.300 Blackout seems to be the go to caliber for suppressed SBRs.

Keep all of them clean.
Old April 20, 2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The important first step is to find a Class III dealer to deal with the paperwork. He'll have all the info.

Fingerprint card, passport-size photos, all that.

He can order everything you want and log it into his book. After it arrives, you can feel and fondle and even shoot it if he has a range. After BATFE does all their thing, you then can take possession and tote it home.

A suppressor can be used on any rifle or pistol which is threaded for it. It's not a part of the gun itself insofar as registration.
Old April 20, 2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Sr1200

Thanks all. Looking at other forums, the minutia of this n that gets so deep that the simple answers ain't so simple anymore.

Art, did you figure out who I am?
Old April 20, 2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yup.
Old April 21, 2017, 02:02 AM   #7
Sr1200

Good to see you again.
Old April 21, 2017, 08:16 PM   #8
raimius

Unless your state has odd laws, it is more a matter of a couple hours of research, paying the bill, and waiting for the BATFE to approve the paperwork...And waiting....And waiting.
Old April 21, 2017, 08:41 PM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

If you buy an AR15 pistol in .300 and then add an arm brace, you can Form 1 (make a regular firearm into an NFA firearm) it into an SBR and still be able to shoot it as a pistol while you wait for the paperwork to clear. A lot of people find the pistol/arm brace combo so handy, they never get to the SBR stage because it simplifies interstate transfer dramatically. However, you'll need to engrave a serial number of your choosing as you are "manufacturing" an SBR - and ATF has very specific regs on the engraving.

For .300, you'll want a pistol length gas tube as that gives you the widest range of operation (subsonic, supersonic, surpressed, unsurpressed).

For NFA stuff, you'll have to pay the dealer first, then pay the ATF, then wait months to take possession.