The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 30, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Gbro

1911 Schmidt- Rubin

A friend was given a Schmidt-Rubin rifle today for his B-day. This rifle is in a homemade stock but has an original barrel with original sights. The rifle is stamped .308 WIN. I am interested in knowing if this is a safe conversion.
The rear sight is missing the sliding piece (do not know what it is called)
I am only going by the bolt length in calling it a 1911.

I am also wondering if this is a rifle that should be checked with a cleaning rod for bolt lockup? I remember reading about one(Canadian Ross perhaps) that could be assembled improperly and not lock prior to firing??

Last edited by Gbro; May 30, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:49 PM   #2
benogil

Your converted 1911 was probably done in the 1960's, as were many. 7.5x55 is a .308 caliber. Most are marked on the barrel and the magazine with " .308 ".
Best to take pictures and continue to ask more at gunboards, surplusrifle, or swissrifles forum. If interested, there is a D&T scope mount for your rifle. Replacement sights ( iron ) will be difficult, not impossible, to find. My 1911 has Ross rifle " Sergeant peeps " as an improvement. There is quite a bit of info on the 'net. Hawkster318 has a section on these converted rifles on his website.
Old May 31, 2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Gbro

Thanks for the information.

I Google'd Hawkster318 and have sent the link to my friends wife. He is a "throwback" and will not turn a computer on.
http://www.hawkster318.com/