The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 8, 2016, 07:18 AM   #1
Gavlan

Engineer carbine ?

Good morning folks,
My good lady has decided it would be better for me ,, ( she really means safer for me ,lol ) to sell one of my long rifles rather than to dip into the piggy bank .
So I am thinking of selling a nice Arg engineers carbine to fund my itch for a repro colt dragoon , I have looked around the usual auction sites but can't really find a fair asking price for it.
so advice is needed so I can get an idea of worth.
It's a 1891 Loewe , berlin and has antique status so shipping isn't a big deal.
Gotta scratch that Dragoon itch,,, .
Thanks fella's.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
noelf2

There's one on gunbroker now asking $300 with no bidders, and 1 day left. What is fair, is what people will pay.
Old September 8, 2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Gavlan

I just looked at them and there is another with 2 bids at 450 , both the one you mention and the other one have " holes " where the bayonet band fits , both are missing .
Oh and another lower down the page for 6, something,,,, he / she are dreaming me thinks.
See what I'm saying though , prices are all over the place so it's hard to get a "happy medium" price.
All I need is enough to get my dragoon ,,,lol,,,
Old September 8, 2016, 02:51 PM   #4
noelf2

Is yours all matching numbers and in VG condition like the one on Gunbroker with bids for $450? I also see one for $295 with no bids. All depends on what makes them worth more to collectors. Maybe someone else here knows. Best bet is to try to sell it online (gunbroker, armslist, etc.) or gun show for the going price of a dragoon.
Old September 8, 2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Gavlan

I understand the difference in values depends on condition , all matching #'s ,
bore condition ,ect .
the one I have is matching as far as barrel, rec,bolt ,stock and some smaller parts but not ALL matching, no.
condition is ( I think , which means nothing,, ) is vg.
I just needed some ballpark figures just to see what was what,
i don't think I would ever ask 450 for it , it'll never sell,,lol.
But I think maybe , looking at the others 300-350 wouldn't be too much.
But like I said noelf2 I haven't a clue thats why I asked you good folks .

[IMG][/IMG]
Old September 8, 2016, 08:23 PM   #6
Ernest T

An all matching rifle in excellent condition, great bore, with intact crest (almost all have), and no import mark, and an un-refinished stock could bring $500 or more.

I'd say you are pretty close about the value of your rifle. I'd put it in the $300 to $350 range, but hard to tell from one photo. Biggest thing I see that might lower the value for a collector for your rifle is that the stock looks like it has been sanded and refinished in your photo.
Old September 8, 2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Gavlan

Yes the stock has been cleaned up some ( not sure if it was sanded ) , definitely "smoothed up "though and as you mentioned Ernest the crest is still there, as usually is the case with the little carbines.
Old September 8, 2016, 09:55 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

Take some good photos, the more the better, and put it on Gunbroker for $325 opening bid, or a higher bid if you want, see what happens with it. Figure $30 to ship. If you have an old Plano type case laying around, ship it in that.
Old September 9, 2016, 10:12 PM   #9
highpower3006

It seems silly to sell such a nice rifle for so little money. I assume you are looking for a Italian repop Dragoon? I see Uberti has a suggested retail price of $449 for the various versions, so I suspect that you could find one for less if you look around.

If selling your little carbine is truly the only option, instead of getting the Italian gun, I would hold out and find a Colt second generation.

Wouldn't it be possible to just save the money and get one that way? I do know what it's like to get an itch to get a particular gun, but I have found out over the years that I have regretted selling many guns. I have never regretted keeping any though....

Last edited by highpower3006; September 9, 2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old September 10, 2016, 03:58 PM   #10
Gavlan

Yeah , I hear you highpower3006 , selling stuff to buy other, different stuff isn't the optimal solution to my dilemma and saving for such an "itch" would take me eons,,,,.
I don't shoot my Mil-surps ( or any other long gun of mine ) much at all anymore, the kick of most of them gives my right shoulder fits even with my light handloads it's bad.
Now shooting BP revolvers is another side of this great hobby / pastime I love and if I can let an unused rifle go so I can buy another , more pleasing firearm to shoot I have to think real hard about it.
If I got a reasonable offer for the Arg I would probably have to say adios to it but your right I will and have in the past regretted letting it / them go ,,,.
Decisions,,, Decisions,,,
Old September 10, 2016, 05:29 PM   #11
Ernest T

PM sent.