The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 4, 2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Bassthoven

Good place to hog hunt

Looking for a place to go hog hunting in the next couple of months. Looking to take my daughter and father. A budget minded trip, mind you. And not a thousand miles away. I live in northeast indiana. I have searched the interwebs but everything I find is texas florida california etc. I would think kentucky and the surrounding areas would have opportunities, but thats why I'm asking.
Old January 4, 2015, 11:38 AM   #2
buck460XVR

Tennessee would probably offer more opportunities for hogs than Kentucky. Are you looking at a self guided hunt on public land or going with a guide and or preserve?
Old January 4, 2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Bassthoven

Tennessee would be fine with me. Self guided on public or private ground is fine, I suppose a guide would be ok if I could afford it. Preserves don't interest me much, especially if it's the shooting fish in a barrel variety. But the better the odds of bagging one, the better. Especially if it's my daughter.
Old January 4, 2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Bassthoven

Cherokee National Forest maybe? Anyone have any experience there?
Old January 5, 2015, 11:36 AM   #5
Deerhunter

If you want a DIY hunt take a look at the map on the link

http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/history-wild-pigs.html

Then look up those states and see what their public land hunting situation is. That should give you a pretty good idea of some places to go. Hunting pigs on a DIY hunt on public land isn't easy.

I have gone the last 2 years. I killed a 90 pound sow 2 years ago. We saw several pigs. Buddy missed a nice one and I couldn't get a shot at it. There were several in the group with the one I shot. They were running when I shot mine. We saw others too but couldn't get on them.

Last year went down and saw a couple. Another buddy of mine got one. Some other guys we were with got lucky and were on them good. Shot 5 between the 2 of them. Had 2 big ones in some thick stuff near me but the busted out the other way. One guy I was hunting with got a shot but missed. He said they were about 125 pounds each.

That is 3 days of hard hunting each year.

Going with a guide that puts up feeders is probably a better option especially for your daughter depending on how old she is. We just enjoy the time away hunting with friends so sitting in a stand isn't what we want to do.

Good luck
Old January 5, 2015, 12:15 PM   #6
mxsailor803

If you're willing, there are guided hunts popping up more and more in SC. Most of them are fairly reasonable.
Old January 9, 2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Jack O'Conner

I had a great time with Seminole Prairie Safaris in Florida. That's a long way from Indiana but you might want a break from winter weather.

Jack
Old January 22, 2015, 08:42 AM   #8
SBH

I would like to find a place in central New Mexico. I hear S.E. New Mexico has some but it is a bit of a drive for a days hunt.