The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 18, 2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Pahoo

Kel Tec PMR-30; Question

A shooting buddy of mine, died and his son is asking me if I'd be interested in buying his; Kel Tec PMR-30.
Heck, I didn't even know he owned on as he never brought it to the range. It's a .22WMR and is a sand or OD resin frame.

I know very little about these and am asking for your valued input, on this handgun. I'm asking about value and performance. I doubt that he shot it very much, so lets say it's 98-95% ….

AS usual, any and all information, will be greatly appreciated …..

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 18, 2020, 11:48 AM   #2
JERRYS.

since he's the son of your shooting buddy, take it out for a try and see what you think.
Old May 18, 2020, 01:35 PM   #3
Pahoo

What do you think ??? !!!

Quote:
since he's the son of your shooting buddy, take it out for a try and see what you think.
He lives about 70-miles away and before I commit, I'm asking; What do you think

Be Safe !!!
Old May 19, 2020, 07:38 AM   #4
PSP

I've had one for a couple years now and have shot about two thousand rounds. It's a fun gun that has some nice features; very low recoil, accurate and easy to clean. it likes most ammo but especially high velocity rounds. I load the mags to 25 rounds instead of the 30 they hold because it's easier. The last five are not.

I would pay something under $400. Ammo is about $9 a box in bulk.

The firing pin broke a while back and was replaced free of charge by Keltec. It is a new shape now and hopefully less prone to breakage. Easy to replace but annoying. I had replaced the buffer too. All else has worn well.

I like it. Liked it enough to buy the carbine too. Lots of fun.

If the family needs some cash due to the death I'd say buy whether you want it or not just to help out. A Win/Win for both sides IMHO.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:20 AM   #5
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
He lives about 70-miles away and before I commit, I'm asking; What do you think

Be Safe !!!
I think if its as newish as you say then I'd buy it. you've obviously shown some interest in it since they are offering it to you... that and KT has one of the very best customer service and warranty programs I've ever seen.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:32 AM   #6
ms6852

I own one and love mine. Will run flawlessly with many brands of ammo and will also have malfunctions with certain brands. Once you find out what it likes the gun is very reliable, heck I sometimes use it as a cc on hot days that I am wearing light clothes because it only way 19 ounces loaded. I too load only 25 rounds on the magazine as it becomes difficult to load the last 5 and you could end up having issues if the cartridges get dented. But since I bought it several years ago, they know make a loader for the kel-tec . I think Lula makes it now so that should help. Since the gun is used I would offer between $300 to $350.

Another thing about this gun is that it is very accurate and at 100 yards it is literally point of aim.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:13 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

I have one. I bought it used from a buddy for $350 including 2 boxes of ammo, spare mag, and other stuff that came with it. For what I spent, I like it a lot.

Here are my impressions. It prefers heavier bullets over the lighter bullets. Trigger is light, pretty smooth, with a more uptake thank I would like, but I like single action, LOL. Recoil is light, but if you don't control the gun properly (limp wrist), it will misfeed. Magazines work well. Accuracy is good and I found it a breeze to be plinking human silhouettes at 50 yards. I am not a 50 yard pistol shooter of any note, but I could shoot shoulder or hip areas no problem. I managed 2 of 5 head shots, but I suspect that is me, and not the gun. Gun seems to work very well long after getting dirty and lube drying up.

I now mostly carry this gun for finishing off hogs.

LOUD! The gun seems to be much louder than it should be.
Old May 20, 2020, 06:00 AM   #8
darkgael

Yes, LOUD. I have one and like it very much. I agree with the 25 round loading even though I picked up a magazine loader for it and it works well.
Accurate, enjoyable.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Pahoo

Sincere thanks !!!

Fellas, I don't want this thread closed but have to take a moment, to thank all replies. Impressed with your experience and willingness to help. You guys are what makes this forum, so helpful. …..

My deceased buddy and I, use to trade back and forth and he told his son to first offer me any firearm that he did not want to keep. Neither his son or I, feel any obligation and as usual, we always shake hands. I know that many of you, trade with your buddies and I sure miss this one. ….

Be Safe !!!