The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
tristar viper

What's the process if I order from Bud's?

I have never ordered a gun online. But, it looks like if I want to ever get the one I want in an expedient manner, I'll have to do it.
I want the Sig P290RS. Bud's has for $464 shipped.
So when I place my order, and give them the card # and all that blah blah blah, then what happens? I am sure it will have to ship to my FFL, but I wonder how long that might take given the current situation with guns.
I assume Bud's is a reputable organization and I shouldn't expect any problems, right??
Old January 15, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Dan-O

I've ordered many, many guns from Buds. I've never been done wrong by them.

In fact I ordered one yesterday. Once you pay there is a drop down box of FFL's in your area. Pick one, and they'll ship to them. I'm assuming it will take longer to actually ship than normal with the current situation, but I'm ok with that.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
tristar viper

And then is there a standard fee for the background check at the FFL, or is that subject to the FFL and whatever they decide to charge?
Old January 15, 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Dan-O

It's up to the FFL. Mine charges $20.

Pretty sure that next to the name of the FFL it shows how much the FFL charges, but this info would be supplied by users, and may not be accurate.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
tristar viper

What are some other good reputable places to buy guns online? Like I said...I have never done it this way. I feel like a dufus
Old January 15, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
bonefamily

Nothing Dufus about it - you won't know until you ask. I just purchased a small Taurus pistol (from Bud's) for my wife a short while ago for a xmas present. Paid with credit card, selected a local FFL, received a phone call from my FFL about four days later stating it was receiced, went down the next day and gave them a $20 transfer fee and filled out the 4473 form, walked out with the wife's new xmas pistol.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:47 PM   #7
RamItOne

well according to the media you just have to click buy and it shows up at your doorstep with a vile of blood-lust for you to drink.

A buddy of mine bought from them, it was very simple and arrived at the ffl quickly, however this was pre lunacy, no idea what their lead time is now.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #8
tristar viper

I think I'll give this online thing a shot. At this point it's actually really a good idea because of the cost.....I'll be saving about $100 versus buying at a local shop.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9
kandrus84

I have bought two guns online. Both from Bud's, both went smooth on Bud's end.

First time around was my AR. Bud's shipped it the same day the funds posted to their account. FFL I used did not call me but I was able to follow the UPS tracking on Bud's site.

Second time was my Glock 21. Bud's shipped nice and fast once again. Used a different FFL, who called to let me know the gun had arrived.

Pretty easy process but as stated above you don't know unless you ask.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Dan-O

Nice thing about buying from Buds is no sales tax....at least for me as its shipping from IN to KS.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:50 PM   #11
RamItOne

^^^^

Usually sales tax offsets the FFL

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 15, 2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Dan-O

Depends on the price of the gun. Sales tax for me is 8%. For an $800 gun that is $64.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Hoosier_Daddy

I bought 3 handguns from Bud's in the last three years without any issues.
If you buy from them, you will get emails stating that the gun has moved almost immediately into shipping, but it will likely "sit" in shpping for 3 to 7 working days before it ships. They calim that they are very very busy but me thinks they never really had the gun on site and were waiting for it to be drop shipped from their supplier. Regardless, Bud's have always come through. That is more than I can say for my local gun shops that never have what I want and they act like they don't care if they ever get it in for me.
The FFL from Bud's list charged me $25.00 for the FFL "fee". On my first purchase. On my second purchase I had a pistol and a shotgun and he only charged me $30.00 for the two.
Try to search out the better FFL in your area. I don't know how to do that, I lucked out on the FFL I chose from Bud's listing.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:58 AM   #14
tristar viper

I went back to the Bud's site, and the 290RS has a TURTLE picture beside it....that means that shipping will take SIGNIFICANTLY longer than the standard 3-7 days is exactly what it says.
Bud's items that are shipping normally have a RABBIT picture beside them.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:44 AM   #15
jkloeker

website down?

I've been unable to access the website for the past 24 hours. Is anyone else having this problem?
Old January 16, 2013, 07:30 AM   #16
1goodshot

I bought 1 last week Im still waiting for it to ship. Ive used them in the past and everything went well. I thnk I saw something on thier web site about proccessing 1500 orders a day so things get kind of slow.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
aarondhgraham

If they don't list a FFL dealer near you,,,

If they don't list a FFL dealer near you,,,
You can go to a dealer and ask for a signed copy of their FFL,,,
Then you snail-mail that copy to Buds and they will then ship to that dealer.

I've purchased 6 guns from Buds over the last few years,,,
No problem with any of the transactions.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Carne Frio

Bud's how to video (it explains the process):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iorAz...ature=youtu.be
Old January 16, 2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Xfire68

I bought 2 pistols from Bud's not that long ago and used a Echeck which is not at all a fast option but I wanted to save as much as I could. I took almost 2.5 weeks to get the guns to my FFL. I would send in a money order next time.

Buds offers great prices on most of their products and I would buy from them again.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:56 PM   #20
bonefamily

^^^ Money order is the route I went to get that cash discount
Old January 16, 2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Dan-O

There is absolutely no reason to snail mail a copy of an FFL. They can fax it or even email it to the seller.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #22
larryf1952

I've bought a number of guns from Bud's and have always used a postal money order. Order the gun, buy the MO and drop it in the mail. The longest I've ever waited to pick up a gun is 13 days, and that's because I ordered before a holiday.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:51 PM   #23
buckeyedave

I have bought two guns from Buds and had it shipped to my FFL here in Cleveland Oh area with no problems at all.

One thing to make sure when you order is that is the picture and model # are correct. Order the correct model number and don't go by the picture. They state the pic and model # may not match.

Dave
Ruger SR22P
Old January 16, 2013, 08:01 PM   #24
Nathan

I have bought a few guns online.

You find an FFL who will do the transfer. Ask first and get a copy of the FFL or contact info so the seller can be in touch.

Find an online pistol you want.

You research the online retailer, forum seller or auction seller to determine if they will give you the gun, treat you well, etc.

Get pictures of any concern areas, you want to see. Review them the best you can.

You buy the gun from the online seller. . . .i.e. agree to terms of sale, pay for it.

Send them your FFL contact info and/or FFL license copy.

Bud's is a good, safe place to buy from, but they have some weird policies.
1) Prices are shown with the cash discount.
2) The direct transfer option for cash discount takes a week to ship. . . .cc takes 1 day, but adds a cc fee.

Gunbroker is an even better place to buy. They are all rated, they post the basic terms of the deal in their ads and generally Gunbroker pics are good. Last, most of them are FFL's looking for a way to wholesale guns they took in which won't retail well in their store.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:09 PM   #25
9mm

Pretty simple, you buy it, and your FFL should be listed on their site, as mine was and all the other LGS in the area. Just tell them to mail it to the FFL because they have the records on file.