The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2023, 08:03 AM   #1
Osuvet85

Lee loader dies

Good Morning, I have several Lee Loader kits, but decided to start reloading with the Lee hand press instead. Do the dies from the hand loading kits work in the press? All dies are the same? Thanks in advance.
Old June 6, 2023, 11:26 AM   #2
Marco Califo

The Lee hand press is definitely the way to go. I have two, and can deprime, size, bulge bust and even size bullets while watching TV. They will load quality ammo, and are very handy to have at arms length.
Old June 6, 2023, 11:56 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Yes, the dies are the same.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 6, 2023, 05:45 PM   #4
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osuvet85 View Post
Good Morning, I have several Lee Loader kits, but decided to start reloading with the Lee hand press instead. Do the dies from the hand loading kits work in the press? All dies are the same? Thanks in advance.
Please Explain exactly what do you have .
When you say " Lee Loader Kits" are you referring to the "Classic Lee Loader " kit ?
The kit that uses a rubber mallet to hammer the cases into and out of the resizing die, the kit we call the "Whack-A-Mole" loader ?

And if the Classic Lee Loader Kit (whack-a-mole) are what you have ... I don't think the dies are usable in the Lee hand press ... You will have to buy a standard Two , Three or 4 Die set of threaded dies for the hand press .

Unclenick says the dies are the same (post #3) and He knows more than I do ...
but He may be thinking of another kit .

Please clear up what you have ... One thing , to work in the Lee Hand Press the dies must be threaded .

Gary
Old June 7, 2023, 02:55 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Ahh. You are thinking he's asking if the Lee Loader parts will work in the hand press. Could be. Good catch. In that case, no. Lee Loaders only work as Lee Loaders. Standard 7/8-14 thread dies are needed in the Hand Press. I assumed the OP meant dies used in other Lee press kits.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 7, 2023, 05:08 PM   #6
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Ahh. You are thinking he's asking if the Lee Loader parts will work in the hand press. Could be. Good catch. In that case, no. Lee Loaders only work as Lee Loaders. Standard 7/8-14 thread dies are needed in the Hand Press. I assumed the OP meant dies used in other Lee press kits.
Color me confused too ...
the OP needs to explain what he has in hand for us to give the right response ...
A Lee Product number would nail down what the loader(s) is !

Osuvet85...where are you !
Gary
Old June 8, 2023, 12:36 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
, I have several Lee Loader kits,
Lee Loader kits are NOT the same as Lee reloading dies.

The Lee Loader kit is the "kitchen table" kit with a sizer/seater, a punch decapper, and the scoop for the powder. Uses a hammer and hand pressure to reload. It is a stand alone self contained "kit", it does not and will not work with a standard reloading press.

Lee reloading die sets are the standard reloading dies with 7/8 x 14 threads to fit in reloading presses, either bench mounted or hand held.
Old June 9, 2023, 02:08 PM   #8
Osuvet85

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have the handloader "Whack-a-mole" kits, but just got a hand press.
Old June 9, 2023, 07:29 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osuvet85 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have the handloader "Whack-a-mole" kits, but just got a hand press.
Unfortunately you will need new die sets.