The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 19, 2011, 06:42 PM   #1
yakfish

Gunsmith training

I am wondering if anyone knows about how to get trained as a gunsmith. Or where to go to get trained? I have been interested in doing this for a couple years and my current job is starting to get on my nerves so I am considering a change and gunsmithing is something I really think i would enjoy doing. I obviously have no experience with this right now aside from opening up trigger groups and polishing internals. but I thought this would be a good place to ask some of the more experienced. I have a family that I need to support so going back to school full time is not really an option but going to school part time would not be a porblem. I am in ohio BTW.
Thanks
Old October 19, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
CTA Trainers

If I may suggest sir. Take some armorer courses. Then find a smith in your area that would have you as an apprentice. This way you will have an idea of what the trade entails.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Do a search on this site, there's a LOT of posts on how to get training as a gunsmith.

The short version is, the best way to become a gunsmith is to attend one of the top schools.
These will train you to be a professional, and a degree from one of them will get you a job interview.

Here's a link to a post with a list of the schools.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...unsmith+school

Avoid the internet and mail order "schools".
The internet schools are only good for taking your money.
Put in a job resume listing a mail order school and your application goes straight into the trash can.