The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2016, 04:06 PM   #1
bullseyewannabe

tzz 45 acp brass

I am having some issues with primers not going in properly. I've noticed it with tzz brass and also with midway brass. Does anyone know if the tzz brass is a military brass? It is really hard to tell if it is crimped primers, at least for me. I've also noticed that most of the tzz brass has flattened primers so I'm wondering if I should just toss it since it was obviously shot with a hot load. I bought a bunch of once fired brass so it was mixed. I'm having really good results with r&p 45 auto head stamp brass.
Old February 7, 2016, 04:24 PM   #2
rtpzwms

not sure how much you reload. but you could pick up a hand primer pocket reamer and use it on the brass and watch for shavings. if they all give up some brass then they are most likely crimped. if you have a boat load of this stuff you might want to invest in a primer pocket swage tool. crimps may appear as a ring around the primer pocket or some number of pinning points near the primer. you might be able to get a better look with some sort of magnifying glass.
Old February 7, 2016, 04:50 PM   #3
condor bravo

TZZ is Israeli military brass. The .45s are heavy duty and good quality. I'm quite sure it is not crimped or I would have not bothered with it.