The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2002, 10:32 PM   #1
TonyB

Beretta and Taurus ..same gun!!!

OK,befor you baretta guys get all p.o.ed,let me start by saying I'd LOVE a Baretta......however my $ being mostly spoken for ,I got a used Taurus PT99 recently.
Today a buddy came over to shoot w/ his Baretta Elite.Both guns worked flawlessly and were equally accurate.After we shot we took them apart to clean and I noticed they were IDENTICAL.His barrel fit my gun,so did his slide.(although we didn't shoot them this way just to be safe).
so here's my question.........why spend hundreds more on a Baretta????Isn't it just like buying Tommy Hilfiger when levi's cover you butt just as good,and you have $ left over for a hat???
Again no offence...if I had the money I'd have a Baretta!
He was just kind of looking at my gun and saying"and how much did you pay for this?"
(plus I can go cocked an locked ,he can't)
Old November 22, 2002, 10:41 PM   #2
seeker_two

Both guns are offshoots of the original Beretta 92 (frame-mounted safety.) Beretta had a factory in Brazil that made them for awhile. Then, when Beretta left, Taurus bought the manufacturing equipment & began making them under their name (like FEG did w/ Browning for the HP's.) The original Taurus 92 was almost an exact copy (including the non-decocking frame safety.)

The Beretta evolved into the slide-mounted safety version seen today. Taurus changed the design to keep the frame-mounted safety but to give it the attribute of a decocker.

BTW, magazines & some other parts will trade w/ minor modifications...

Hope this helps.
Old November 22, 2002, 10:46 PM   #3
GSMD Fan

If you shot both a PT99 and a Beretta Elite and could not tell a difference then you should not spend the extra money.

I own a PT92 and 2 Berettas, a 92FS made in Italy and a 92G Elite. I can tell a difference.

The PT92 works and is accurate enough BUT there is a distinct difference in trigger and handling (at least for me).

Of course maybe I can't tell the difference I just convinced myself I could.
Old November 22, 2002, 10:58 PM   #4
TonyB

Actually,my DA is alot better(lighter)than his ....SA was a little better w/ his but I shot mine better,just because I've shot it more.
I like his finish way better....all "tactical black" and what not!!
Still mine...$329...his $550(although I think he was rounding down,like $200)....not Baretta bashing at all.......I'm just glad I like my gun and my wife didn't kill me for spending the mortagage money on "another" gun.......
Old November 22, 2002, 11:48 PM   #5
duckdawg

What the hell is a "Baretta"?

You can't tell the difference between the two? Keep your Taurus. Be happy.l
Old November 23, 2002, 07:51 AM   #6
logical

I have an maybe 14 year old stainless PT99 with adjustable sights. Taurus was a smaller company back then and maybe they had better craftsmanship.....I've heard others who think so. Regardless, my taurus is a very sweet gun and is better at the range than any auto I've ever shot. Frankly I am not to crazy about most of the newer Tauri that I see and the model 94 .22 revolver I bought a few years ago is a not a great gun by any measure, but then again I don't think a brand new GP100 is as nice as my 26 year old security-six.

B-E-R-E-T-T-A
Old November 23, 2002, 08:34 AM   #7
defox

Hey man:

Go with what works for you!! I have a friend who carries a Ruger .22 and he swears by it..he states that it has saved his life twice.. who am I to argue .40 and .45 calibers in the face of this!!

Be happy!!
Old November 23, 2002, 08:50 AM   #8
logical

I missed the part where we were arguing calibers. In fact I missed the part where we were arguing at all.
Old November 23, 2002, 08:52 AM   #9
Eric Larsen

Both are great guns..and you are right...pretty much the same in almost every regard..its rumored that Taurus used up the remainder of Beretta's steel inventory at first also...basically you got a Beretta with a Taurus name on it.....
I never cared for the open slide top design but will give the gun its due...very nice guns.
The stated differences in the triggers are worth commenting on, IMO. The Taurus triggers are smooth and consistant....very nice.
The Beretta triggers are smooth until the rear of the travel..they all seem to stack alot just before breaking....never liked that in a trigger. Id take the Taurus......
Shoot well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old November 23, 2002, 09:06 AM   #10
the blind lefty

i just don't like the safety system on the Taurus,compared to a 1911;specifically the decocking. i'm very gun to gun on handling,and in this case i like the Beretta set up.
i like decockers,and i like safeties,but i'm not fond of guns that do both. just unfounded suspicion on my part.
Old November 23, 2002, 09:35 AM   #11
lonegunman

Why not just get a Glock?

(sorry, someone had to say this)
Old November 23, 2002, 11:39 AM   #12
SouthpawShootr

I have a 92FS stainless and a PT92AF. Both are about 5 years old. Shoot both on the same day and you can tell the difference. Things Beretta does better: Overall metal work (slightly better), Trigger pull, Smooth action. Things Taurus does better: Value (price), adjustable sights (more on this later). Things both do about the same: reliability, accuracy. I like the hammer drop better on the Taurus. The safety is a bit redundat, but I can live with it. Some people have reported problems with the adjustable sighted Taurus model (PT99 series), although I had one with over 10,000 rounds through it with no problem. Apparently there is a pin that works it's way out. Get the fixed sight model, unless you absolutely have to have adjustables. I have never had any type of malfunction with my Beretta or Taurus and would feel equally well protected with both. I will point out that if you want a Beretta, you should get one and not settle for the Taurus. You'll end up getting both in the long run. Also, if you want night sights, save yourself the trouble and order the gun that way from the factory, it is a real pain in the butt to put night sights on either of these guns (Elite series, Brigadier series, and the new Vertec (I think) excepted).
Old November 23, 2002, 02:42 PM   #13
Kevinch

Quote:
i just don't like the safety system on the Taurus,compared to a 1911;specifically the decocking. i'm very gun to gun on handling,and in this case i like the Beretta set up.

I must be confused about what you are saying. The Taurus has a safety that when flicked up allows the gun to be carried cocked & locked, like a 1911, or when pushed down drops the hammer in typical DA auto format. At least that's the way it is on my PT940.

So...if you are used to a 1911 type safety or a typical DA safety, the Taurus would duplicate either.

Is there something I am missing?
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old November 23, 2002, 03:17 PM   #14
JohnKirk

My PT 99 is about twenty years old, and is smooth as glass. I don't know when they started making them, but mine is nice, especially after a professional trigger job.

I recently shot my Taurus again after a long rest, and it was SO pleasant aftre shooting all my compact and subcompact carry guns. Recoils like a .22.
Old November 23, 2002, 10:07 PM   #15
J. Parker

I've had both. Had a couple of 40 cal Taurus' that were crap. Jamo's to the max. Every B_E_R_E_T_T_A that I've owned has been perfectly reliable. Same pistol? Not hardly.
Old November 24, 2002, 05:14 AM   #16
dj1726

Kevinch,
I think what blind meant was that if you thumb the safety down to hard, it will decock the hammer on the PT. Then you will be back in DA. My preference for carry is a firearm without a manuel safety. When I practice with my PT or my USP V1, I have dropped the hammer while disengauging the thumb safety.

I own a 92G Elite, 92G Elite II and a PT92, I definetly can tell a difference in accuracy. The the Elites are more accurate. The Berretas have been 100% reliable. I have had only one problem with the Taurus, the trigger bar became disconnected and failed to drop the hammer. Upon review, it appeared the problem had been caused by a bad grip panel (too much space in the trigger bar channel, the aftermarket grips were installed by the previous owner). Replaced the grips and have not had another problem.
Old November 24, 2002, 09:18 AM   #17
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

J. Parker,

Quote:
Same pistol? Not hardly.
Hmmm. They make PT92's on Beretta-made machinery, using a license acquired from Beretta to duplicate the Model 92, and you say that the PT92 and the M92 are not the same pistol? Why do their parts interchange?
Old November 24, 2002, 10:21 AM   #18
tonyz

What grade steel, Stainless and alloys: frames, slide, and internal parts does Taurus use? Also what about there quality control? Are they the same as Berreta?
I am not bashing taurus, because they have some nice guns. But when operating my Beretta's slide compared to a friends PT92, after both have over 5000 rounds through them, the the Beretta is smoother, and there is a fair amount of differance in the triggers.

Tony Z
Old November 24, 2002, 01:01 PM   #19
shooter1201

Quote:
Why do their parts interchange?
The MAGS don't.
Old November 24, 2002, 05:07 PM   #20
Jason Demond

Fwiw Levi is anti-gun!:barf:
Old November 25, 2002, 04:43 PM   #21
igor

I have a PT99AFD from approx. eight years ago. I replaced my PT99AF with it when the decocker safety came along. I got a feed ramp polishing and a trigger job done out of the box (the feed ramp was terrible) and have been shooting happily ever since. The original slippery wood grips were replaced with some Uncle Mike's neoprene grips that needed a bit of carving to fit my hand. Great shooting.

My choice between Taurus and Beretta was mostly based on the safety system - at the time I considered Condition One a must. Price obviously was a factor too, but after comparing the two pistols side-by-side (a regular Beretta 92FS and my first Taurus 99AF that had had the same really affordable trigger job done as the one I have now) there was no doubt, even trigger-wise. Yes, I admit the slight after-market quality enhancement was necessary, but even with that done I have a better shooting pistol for 100$ less.

But... but... but. The rear sight. The forward pin that penetrates the slide kept shaking loose or to bits. After all kinds of replacements a genius smith put a piece of a drill bit in. Now I need a new slide: what has been said about the Taurus steel quality definitely is most probably correct as well. And I'm getting a model 92 slide and replacing the dovetailed rear sight with an aftermarket adjustable one then. Any recommendations?
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004