The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 14, 2017, 12:30 AM   #26
Gunplummer

I have had a .260 REM for quite a while. I can't imagine much difference between the three.
Old May 14, 2017, 06:19 AM   #27
Jack O'Conner

The 6.5 Creedmore is based upon the .308 Ruger case.

My wife hunts with her custom Browning in 6.5mm Swede. My sister-in-law hunts with a 7mm-08. Both rifles are short and handy plus quite accurate. They kill animals quite well indeed. I suggest buy the rifle for the cartridge in which ammo is most readily available within your area.

Jack
Old May 14, 2017, 07:40 AM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
The 6.5 Creedmore is based upon the .308 Ruger case.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:12 AM   #29
tobnpr

Marketing.
Remington introduced the .260 twenty years ago and promptly let it languish. It's only become popular again due to the growth of the LR shooting sports.

In contrast, when Hornady rolled out the 6.5 Creedmoor ten years ago it was with a huge marketing campaign and relatively affordable, match-grade factory ammo.

6.5 or 7mm.? Depends on conditions for me (own both). Windy days I prefer heavy, 7mm., 162 grain VLDs in my 7-08. It always comes down to a choice of lighter/faster and heavier/higher BC.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 14, 2017, 10:37 AM   #30
Don Fischer

Only difference between the 6.5 CM or 260 Rem and 7mm-08 is the heavier bullet's each has avaliable. You can get 160s in 6.5 but I think theyare all round nosed. You can get 175gr spitzer's in 7mm-08. Take a 140gr bullet in each and the 7mm-08 should drive it a bit faster but not enough to make any great difference!

I am a fan of both but lean toward the 6.5.
Old May 14, 2017, 01:08 PM   #31
Wyosmith

If I were to buy a rifle in which I could choose one of the two shells named , I would take the 7-08 because I live in Wyoming where my common game is elk and deer are in 2nd place for me. Not that the 6.5 lacks anything there, but I can use 160 and 175 Grain 7MM Bullets that I used years ago in my old 7X57 Mauser at the same speeds from the 7-08, and I know how well they work. There is nothing new to learn for me with this combination.

I hope to learn about the effects of the 160 gr RN Hornady 6.5MM bullet this season, as I am going to hunt with my 6.5X54 Mannlicher, but it will be my 1st elk kill with a 26 caliber rifle if I am successful. If that bullet, leaving at 2250 FPS is good enough I bet it's good enough leaving at 2400 or 2500 too from the Creedmore (or the 260 Rem)

But the only 160 grain bullet I know of that's available today in 6.5MM is the Hornady. Sierra quit making them, and Hornady don't make a lot of them. So 160s in 6,5MM are rare.

160 and 175 Gr 7MM are common and very good on elk.

Now if some reason I were a Wyoming hunter and didn't want to hunt elk I would choose the 260 Rem or maybe the CM, because both would be super good for antelope, another animal we have in abundance.

But to be 100% honest, I would only buy such a rifle because I liked the rifle, not because of it's cartridge. I own a few 270 Winchesters now and the 260, the CM and the 7-08 all fall short of the 270s Not enough to worry about, but buying a CM as an antelope rifle when I own five 270s doesn't make a good argument.
Buying a rifle because I like it,,,now that's a good argument.

Kragwy said something I really like
Slaves get what they need.
Free men get what they want"

I could not agree more!
Old May 14, 2017, 01:29 PM   #32
Gunplummer

I use Hornady 160 grain because as you said, it is the only game in town. Even the foreign heavy 6.5's are always out of stock. I use the Hornady in a 6.5 Arisaka I re-cut to 6.5x55. It is an early barrel and 160 grain is all it will handle. I used to load up with Sierra semi point 160's and I think they were better (In my gun anyway). They seemed to hold together better if you hit bone. It is the American way of doing business. If the consumer won't buy our new junk, we just cut off the parts for the old model.
Old May 14, 2017, 04:51 PM   #33
Rancid

I have one 7-08 and several 6.5 CM's. Right now no one markets a 7-08 in a LR configuration. Remington had a LR model years ago in a 26 inch barrel but dropped it. I've been thinking of doing something silly and having one built just for fun. 7mm bullets are very good when it comes to BC's. A 7mm-08 in a heavy barrel would be fun in a match up with the Creed.
Old May 14, 2017, 08:55 PM   #34
Slamfire

I still shoot the 308 Win and occasionally the 223, have not seen much of a need to change over. However I am a terrible wind reader and pretty much avoid 1000 yard matches, I will shoot 600 yard matches.

My F Class buds, the ones shooting unlimited, I am seeing a migration to 7mm. Not 7mm-08 but weird and strange straight walled 7mm wildcat cartridges that are fat as heck and push a 7mm bullet close to 3000 fps. Currently, someone makes a 7mm match bullet that has a super ballistic coefficient. So, those who used to be shooting those old hat 6.5 mm rounds that used to have a super ballistic coefficient bullet, now they are all chasing the 7mm.

Its like soup du jour. I don't know how many bullet fads I have lived through, hopefully, I can live through an equal number in the future. It takes time for these things to wash out and in the mean time, bullet manufacturers make a lot of money every time they publish optimistic bullet coefficients for their latest and greatest bullet.

As a cartridge, I have heard good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. Barrel life is acceptable, around 1200 rounds. All depends on how much powder you put behind the bullet. The 7mm-08 is also an outstanding cartridge, Mitch Maxberry won the National Matches with that cartridge, and then some 6.5 mm bullet came out with a super ballistic coefficient and all the "smart" people changed their barrels and started firing 6.5 mm's.

Of course, from what I have learned on the internet, animals can tell the 0.020" difference between a 7mm bullet and a 6.5. The most informed individuals have said that a 6.5 bullet will bounce off a deer's hide, but the 7mm will penetrate. It must be true or there would be no reason to own a 7mm.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:02 PM   #35
5whiskey

If paper only at long range, the 6.5 may do you better. 7-08 is probably... No is... More versatile (bullet weights) for hunting. If you do a mix of the two??? Pick your poison. 7-08 can be a thousand yard round though, so how much further do you wanna shot? 6.5 may shoot slightly flatter, but heavy projectiles in 7-08 will likely deal with wind better. My choice would be 7-08 for the heavier projectile lineup and ability to get super cheap brass by resizing 308, but I reload and that's just me.
Old May 15, 2017, 06:14 AM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
As a cartridge, I have heard good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. Barrel life is acceptable, around 1200 rounds.
Where did you hear this? Must be laser gun comp guys--who I'm surprised don't toss a barrel after each shot. lol
Old May 15, 2017, 09:42 AM   #37
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
Quote:
As a cartridge, I have heard good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. Barrel life is acceptable, around 1200 rounds.
Where did you hear this? Must be laser gun comp guys--who I'm surprised don't toss a barrel after each shot. lol
I assume the 1,200 rounds refers to barrel life with optimal accuracy, i.e. the accuracy needed for benchrest and/or F-class competition.

Still, 1,200 for the Creedmoor seems overly pessimistic. The match-grade barrel life for the .243Win and .260Rem is guestimated to be around 1,500 and 2,000 rounds, respectively. The 6.5CM and .260Rem are essentially identical, so I'd put the 6.5CM's 1,200 closer to 2,000.
Old May 15, 2017, 03:05 PM   #38
Don Fischer

Any more I think the main difference between cartridge's from 6.5 to standard 30 cal rifles ie the bullet's available and recoil.
Old May 15, 2017, 04:20 PM   #39
tobnpr

Quote:
My F Class buds, the ones shooting unlimited, I am seeing a migration to 7mm. Not 7mm-08 but weird and strange straight walled 7mm wildcat cartridges that are fat as heck and push a 7mm bullet close to 3000 fps.
7mm Shooting Times Western. Unlike others like the Dakota, Mashburn, Practical (you name 'em) factory brass is available.

140 grains near to 3500 fps
Absolute terminal performance possible with a 7mm bore, designed as a LR hunting round because it's an insane throat-burner with barrel life of 600-1000 rounds.

I once thought about doing a long bull barrel in it...Just keep setting back and re-chambering

Not widely used in 1000 yard target comps because of the barrel life, but it sure can get the job done. I believe the 7 mag chamber can be easily reamed out to the STW.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 15, 2017, 08:44 PM   #40
Slamfire

Quote:
The match-grade barrel life for the .243Win is guestimated to be around 1,500 and 2,000 rounds, respectively.
From guys who shot the 243 Winchester, 800 rounds was the expected lifetime. If all you are shooting is mid range or long range, don't expect to make 1500 rounds in any 6.5 mm. Better have your replacement barrel on hand well before you hit 1000 rounds.
Old May 16, 2017, 06:28 AM   #41
roc1

My Savage 6.5 has 1500 rounds through still going strong last loads tried last week were some of best I have shot. Accuracy still superb no sign of wear at all.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:18 AM   #42
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Old wildcat cartridges relabeled with a new moniker garners new interest.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:22 AM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
Old wildcat cartridges relabeled with a new moniker garners new interest.
A sprinkling of unbelievable performance fairy dust helps too.
Old May 16, 2017, 04:36 PM   #44
hooligan1

The Creedmoor is only 10 years old, not sure how old the 08 is, I dont think it gives anything that overwhelms the 6.5 until you start getting into 3000 fps for 160's and heavier.
The 6.5 Creedmoor has better usage of its case, but only by an eyelash, and we all know the 6.5 bullet gets through the wind better.
I have a Creedmoor, learning all kinds of new stuff about the capabilities of it every day,. Im more of a 7mm Remington Magnum guy when it comes to 7mm bullets..
The Creedmoor is based of the .30 TC case, but .243 win is probably the closest case for conversion
Old July 1, 2018, 04:44 PM   #45
BigAl77

I know that this thread is more than a year old, but in case anyone else finds their way here, I wanted to offer a more complete answer. I should say I wanted to link to someone else who has a more complete answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLiEPzHDbzA

I have done quite a bit of research as I have been building an AR-10 and trying to finalize what round to use. Essentially the two are so similar, take your pick. However, there are a couple of situations where one has a more clear advantage over the other:

1. If hand loading for max BC bullets for long-range shooting in an AR-10 platform, the 6.5 CM has an advantage due to the fact that heavier 7mm bullets have to be seated deeper to fit the AR-10 magazine. You will not realize the full potential of the 7mm-08 in this rifle. No compromises with the 6.5, which already has a slight wind advantage at long ranges.

2. If loading for hunting with a bolt action that has a faster rate of twist, the 7mm-08 has better terminal energy, albeit not by a tremendous amount.

Fans of each cartridge will point out the advantages of their preferred round, but again, the differences are relatively small. If you already own one, no reason to go buy a new rifle in the other - except of course, to have a new rifle in a new caliber.
Old July 1, 2018, 06:40 PM   #46
Wyosmith

The best way to see the over view is to show the parallels of the 2 cartridges and what they can be used for.

The 6.5CM gives the same capabilities as the 6.5X55 Swede, and has the same ballistics minus about 2%. So little difference it is irrelevant.

The 7-08 is a short action shell that comes very close to a 270 Winchester with like bullet weights. Accurate, and can throw bullets of up to 175 grains and does it's best with 140-160 grain bullets. As above, basically the same ballistics - 2%. So little difference it is irrelevant.

In generalities I see the 6.5Cm as a cartridge I would use mostly for steel and paper shooting with excellent abilities for hunting too.

I see the 7-08 as a cartridge I would use mostly for hunting game up to elk size, with excellent steel and paper capabilities.

I own neither.

If I were offered my choice or either, it would be the 7-08 because I am focused mostly on hunting and I like the larger bullets of the 7MM over the 6.5 MM. If I lived where the common game was deer instead of elk, I might go the other way.

You can't really go wrong with either one.
Old July 1, 2018, 08:10 PM   #47
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Split the difference, let's see the .25 Creedmoor.

Just think, new brass, new dies, new barrels, ALL new bullets because the caliber has been neglected in favor of French System specifications.
A real economic stimulus.
This guy gets it.
Old July 2, 2018, 06:06 AM   #48
Mobuck

"On paper the 7-08 looks better out to 400ish yards. In performance no animal will ever notice the difference. Beyond 400ish yards 6.5 wins and does it with significantly less recoil. Beyond 700 yards 6.5 Creed with 140's matches or beats 300 WM with 180 gr bullets."

Honestly, these ranges are well beyond the capabilities of most hunters to place bullets on game properly. AFAIK bullet diameter is still important and the smaller the bullet diameter, the more it has to expand to make the same size hole as a bigger bullet.
The proponents of the 6.5 C bandy about with ranges and numbers that are mostly for paper punchers. When comparing muzzle velocities, the 6.5C is a pretty weak showing.
Old July 2, 2018, 07:21 AM   #49
Old Stony

I own both calibers, and have shot both extensively on paper, hogs, deer, etc...I would hardily recommend either caliber. Differences are mainly the ability to do well with different weight bullets, but either caliber can stand up to most any usage on our continent.
Old July 2, 2018, 07:57 AM   #50
stagpanther

Quote:
I own both calibers, and have shot both extensively on paper, hogs, deer, etc...I would hardily recommend either caliber. Differences are mainly the ability to do well with different weight bullets, but either caliber can stand up to most any usage on our continent.
I think this 'bout sums it up. I will add that I have been swept up in the "6.5 mania" as much as anyone--and only recently started doing builds with 7mm--I think it's a better bullet all-around than either the 6.5, .277 or 308.